200 solenoid wiring...help

I'm trying to wire up my solenoid however I'm having some issues with the different wires. There is a black and red wires that attach to thevtwo small push on leads. My issue is this if i connect the red to the left lead andvthat black to the right lead i get no response when i try to start the motor. If i reverse them the starter will engage when i turn the key to accessory, not all the way to ignition. Could this be a neutral safety switch issue? Any help would be appreciated.

The Red w Blue stripe wire comes from the ignition switch start position through the netural safety switch (if you have an auto trans) or (on stick car it might have a switch on clutch so that the pedal needs to be depressed to start), then that Red with Blue stripe wire continues on to front post of the starter solenoid (the post next to the Pos Battery terminal). If you have had the motor or trans out then the neutral safety switch may need to be re adjusted so that power goes through it when it's only in the neutral or park position. Good luck :nod:

Back