All Small Six 62 inline 170

This relates to all small sixes

Joshua1962

Hello all and thank you for reading, I’ve been riding around in my 62 falcon it still has the factory 170 mated to the 3 speed on the column. Here lately I’ve been entertaining the idea of upgrading the 170 but through research I see there aren’t a lot of options out there. I have ordered a distributor to get it off the points and was looking into the 2 barrel adapter and adding a 2100. Finding a head to play around with is also difficult to locate can you interchange the heads from other years? Clay smith cams offers some cams and other timing related products would that be a good route? Any info would be extremely helpful thank again for your time.

Attachments

• 11E8827B-89BB-4319-B366-385DE40ADA08.jpeg
    11E8827B-89BB-4319-B366-385DE40ADA08.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Hi, get a copy of the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook, and the Ford Inline Six book from Vintageinlines.com. There is also a tech section here to help you come up with a plan before you spend any money. A few of the main things are: the early engine uses a different carb/ignition system then the later engines, the early engines use a 1/4" distributor/oil pump shaft, the later engines use a 5/16, the early engines have a 1 1/2" carb opening, later have 1 3/4", and the early engines mount the small bell housing, later mounts the large and small bell housing. Good luck

Nice car that is the same one I learned to drive with.
If you can find a good running later 200 for a swap it will be the easiest, fastest and probably cheapest performance upgrade you can do. Make sure it has the DSII ignition. And it will be a better base for later upgrades.
Or find a 200 and work on putting a cam in it and larger carb/ DS II ignition while still driving your 170.
As stated get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook, and the Ford Inline Six book from Vintageinlines.com as this will help you with your plan.

2x Ford Falcon Handbook, Ford Inline Book.
2x on late model 200. The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money.
Think about an brake up grade with the BIG engine (scarebird.com)

2x Ford Falcon Handbook, Ford Inline Book.
2x on late model 200. The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money.
Think about an brake up grade with the BIG engine (scarebird.com)
Sorry for the late replies I work 12s and I just ordered the books and I have a complete 302 sitting in my shed waiting for a rebuild but I didn’t think it would fit in the hole. I believe I was told by my grandfather a V8 would mean cutting out the motor mounts and modifying the engine bay and also upgrading the front suspension for the weight and going 5 lug disc brakes all the way around. While I’ve had the stuff to do the brakes for a while I’ve just been putting it off I was gonna do it while the engine was out and being built. Again thank you for the information any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

yup - '64+ motor for the DSII upgrade (no more need for LOM/SCV feedback, block hole bottom of dizzy now bigger), better is the '68+ so as to add larger carb (throat) and finding a "large log head' (yes, all yr heads can swap but '78+ R nicer).
It's all right here
and here
(@ above horrizontal blue line top of page "Tech Archive")

I would not spend time & $ on this motor (U say cam) as the above are more worthy of such investment. I'd just throw on the Petronix and may B futz around (jets) w/a weber 32/36 (pinto carb), have a single 2.25 inch exhaust? 5 speed OD transmis & frnt discs?
EDIT:
now, as I type/post U give totally diff/new info.
"...any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated...." well w/a bent 8 all I can say is, yes, ck late model ur-same-car (or stang/Mav) to see what ford did. It all begs the elephant in the room. WHAT is ur final APPLICATION? Every automotive Q can be answrd w/that 1. Study it or build something that goes 1 direction, shifts to another, spins to a 3rd. Not jusdicious use of time or $, a poor end product.

Last edited:
Nice car that is the same one I learned to drive with.
If you can find a good running later 200 for a swap it will be the easiest, fastest and probably cheapest performance upgrade you can do. Make sure it has the DSII ignition. And it will be a better base for later upgrades.
Or find a 200 and work on putting a cam in it and larger carb/ DS II ignition while still driving your 170.
As stated get the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook, and the Ford Inline Six book from Vintageinlines.com as this will help you with your plan.
Thank you sir I picked this car up when I was 15 for $600 and my grandpa came over and had her running in about 30 minutes. Only needed points lol. I had no idea then how to drive 3 on the tree but he showed me how and we took her for a ride. Since then I’ve only had to put a starter, water pump and fuel pump and change some points. Since I got it I’ve put new exhaust and painted it and out a new floor in her she’s been a blast as I’m 27 now and I don’t plan on letting her go.

yup - '64+ motor for the DSII upgrade (no more need for LOM/SCV feedback, block hole bottom of dizzy now bigger), better is the '68+ so as to add larger carb (throat) and finding a "large log head' (yes, all yr heads can swap but '78+ R nicer).
It's all right here
and here
(@ above horrizontal blue line top of page "Tech Archive")

I would not spend time & $ on this motor (U say cam) as the above are more worthy of such investment. I'd just throw on the Petronix and may B futz around (jets) w/a weber 32/36 (pinto carb), have a single 2.25 inch exhaust? 5 speed OD transmis & frnt
Yes, single exhaust and factory brakes she currently has a lil ole 3 speed

Sorry for the late replies I work 12s and I just ordered the books and I have a complete 302 sitting in my shed waiting for a rebuild but I didn’t think it would fit in the hole. I believe I was told by my grandfather a V8 would mean cutting out the motor mounts and modifying the engine bay and also upgrading the front suspension for the weight and going 5 lug disc brakes all the way around. While I’ve had the stuff to do the brakes for a while I’ve just been putting it off I was gonna do it while the engine was out and being built. Again thank you for the information any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Your Grandfather is smart and has much of it right on what's required. A late1962 Model Falcon / Comet Build can actually have a SBF V8 bolted in with all Factory Parts, (check your Build Date on the Door Warrantee Tag) 260 V8's were a Factory option first in the late 1963 1/2 Falcon & Comet Models and Ford started getting ready for that by Changing the Floor Pans and Firewall Trans Tunnel. He is Right on for the Suspension Mods you would need all the stock V8 suspension parts, V8 Spindles as a minimum and along with their bigger Brake's and the V8 8 inch rear Axle for a safe to drive car. Its a lot of work to convert them over to a V8 but its mostly a bolt together job with stock Falcon and Mustang V8 Parts, that is unless you want to put in a Mustang II front Suspension and a 4 Bar Rear.

Back