Notes on cams, converters, distributor curves and idle

Hi Yall,
Haven't been around here much lately as I picked up the family and moved from DC to Boulder, CO last summer. Some of you may recall that I was doing some major work on my car prior to the move and I have a lot of pictures, videos, notes and other stuff to post, but I've been slammed with moving and getting settled and finding jobs, etc. I will note that the falcon made the drive without a hitch, even through two 106* days in Kansas. Today, however, I had a nice breakthrough and I thought I should share, expecially for those folks who are using cams like mine and are struggling with smooth idle.

Background: Had an engine built a while back with a 264/274-12* cam and around 10:1 compression (machinist lost his notes so exact compression unknown :roll: ) and a heavily modded log head. Well, this engine's been a PITA, mainly because I've never been able to get it to idle decently, but also because it was short on bottom end power. Had my converter modified by Phoenix Transmission, and that was big help all around, but still she was lumpy.

I'd determined that at around 14* and up of initial things got much better, but my distributor curve would then give me too much total and I'd be in ping city. This engine only tolerates around 32* to 34* total. Send my dizzy to DUI for a recurve with detailed notes and they gave it back to me with 24* at 2700. I guess they don't always listen too well as that forced my max initial to be no more than 10*. I put up with this for a year, fiddling with my carb and doing all possible to enjoy this increasingly expensive POS. But with spring here and the convertible gathering dust, I finally got fed up, took notes and graphed my advance curve and decided to recurve my dizzy myself.

A dig through my parts bin discovered a couple of recurve kits. Careful comparison of the three center plates (advance cams?) i had revealed one that would significantly limit advance, so I installed it with the existing weights. This gave me a total mech advance of 15*, so I set my inital at 17*, my max is 32*. I kept the same springs which come on quick (I'm at 24* at 1500) and voila: 150rpm higher idle (now 700 instead of 550) and power everywhere. Most critically, that 1800 to 2000rpm space that automatics spend so much time at is lively and responsive. And my primary jets which before where too big but where the smallest I could get to work? Now perfect. Oh, and I actually have 9" of vacuum at idle before fiddling with my curb idle settings.

Conclusion: If you are running one of these Clay Smith cams that don't make much vacuum, especially with an automatic, pour on the initial advance. You won't be sorry. Life is good, summer is here, and it is time to go motoring! :beer:

I am NOT a fan of DUI everyone Ive seen has 24 in it even though they say its ( Custom curved ) anyway a proper curve is CRITICAL and Yes the Falcon 6's Love lots of initial ( up to 24 ) , BUT usually do not like over 32 ( especially with the open chambered Big Log Head

Sounds like you have a nice ride. Great suspension, rear gear & engine mods.
Do you know what your cranking compression is??
As far as the distributor advance does the pinging occur on WOT or on light acceration or both????
Are you running flat top pistons? Are you using 93 octane gas? 32 total seems low on an iron head.
What kind of carburation are you running??
You need to have a curb idle in neutral @ 900-1000 rpms & with your loose converter it will be 700-750 in drive.
I ran a 10.4 compression engine with 195# of cranking compression & i had 14" of vacuum at idle because the distributor & the carburetor are set up right. The camshaft i had was a 274@ 112 L/C.
The distributor is the key to get your curb idle smooth as can be. Bill

Hi Bill,
I haven't done a compression test since the break-in, so I have no idea. Maybe I'll motivate after I finish re-assembilng the interior, redoing the alignment and all the little things that make it fun to drive. Pinging mostly happens at part throttle right around 3000 rpm. I like having vacuum advance as it makes the car a bit more responsive when cruising around town, so I've been splitting the difference between maximizing the mech advance and backing off and limiting the vacuum canister. I can probably run as much as 36* mechanical, but then I have to back off the vacuum canister to the point that it is really not doing anything.

Now that the timing is more in line with the needs of the engine I have to go back through my carb settings. I'm pretty sure I can get the idle to around 700 in gear without too much trouble.

Dished pistons, 6cc IIRC. Chambers are 51.5cc, but I don't know my deck height. They only have 91 octane here in colorado. Thanks for the re-curving offer but I prefer to do all my own work, even when it takes two years to get it right!!! :rolflmao:

falconsedandelivery, really? 24* initial? Doesn't that make the engine hard to crank? I have a reduction gear starter, so I could do that. Going to step up my jetting a bit and see if I can add back some timing without getting any pinging. Can probably get up around 20* initial if I add a bit more fuel. At some point I'll find a dyno to finalize the settings, but the butt dyno is working fine for now.

I bet you have about 9:0 compression ratio.
Get a vacuum chamber with less mechanical movement or fabricate using a piece of metal & screw it onto the vacuum arm to limit the mechanical movement of the vacuum advance.
They make vacuum chambers with 24 deg., 20 deg., 15 deg. mechanical limit. That will take care of your pinging under part throttle & allow you to crank up the total to 36 deg. area.
Hook up the vacuum chamber to manifold vacuum & that will possibly help your idle. This is only recommended if you have the mechanical curve right on.
Crane or Mr. Gasket or Moroso used to offer an adjustable can where you could adjust the mechanical part & another Mfg. which just offered just a vacuum adjustment. The listing would be for a GM HEI.
Call performance distributors & tell them you want a can with 15,20 or what ever you want.

Back