64 Falcon convertible 200 six

I have a 1964 falcon convertible with a 200six...
As most of you know it must be unusual for me to have that as they really didn’t put 200s in Falcons or mustangs until 65.

i’m trying to locate the engine number to verify the 200 and what year it is. Any help would be helpful and please include a sample of what number I might be able to find. To make matters more confusion in the Vin number I have a T...
The T Is an indicator of a 200 6 cylinder..
I’m thinking if this is true that this original 64 I might add probably late 64 falcon convertible came with a 200 6 Cylinder, it’s probably fairly rare. Is there any place to find production numbers that include what engine went in what models and how many. For instance they made somewhere around 13,000. 64 falcon convertible with bench seatS...But I can’t find any statistics on how many of those 13,000 convertibles had 200 in.³ 6cylinder. Thanks for any help

I consulted my Falcon Performance Handbook, block id section, and it indicates the 200 for 64-65 Falcon/Comet/Fairlane/Mustang and that it is a 7 main bearing block. Check for block casting number C5DE-H.

There were a limited number of 1964 200’s made these are pretty rare this was the first year that the 200’s were made. Unlike the 1965 and later 200’s they only have a 4 main crankshaft they also are reported to have only 3 freeze plugs in the block.

Most of these were installed in the 1964 Deluxe Trim Model Fairlanes or the Mercury Monarchs but some also went into a few of the Falcons and possibly in some Comets again most likely in the Deluxe Trim Models, I don’t know any production numbers for these early 200’s but it’s my best guess that it’s going to be quite a low number in a Falcon.

The Block and head casting / design numbers might be a C3DE or the C4DE. If you can find the casting date codes for block and head you could determine if the engine is original to your car. Date codes on the block look like a small metal tag with a sraight screw head slot at each end of tag there will be 3 or 4 numbers and 1 letter. If your 1964 has this early 200 block, head, and other original parts that wood be a very rare bird 🦅 and maybe worthy of a full restoration. Good luck

Last edited:
C5DE 200 was swapped into the '61 Comet - had 7 mains and only small bellhouse bolt pattern . Gave away head then used a BFH on it after trying to give away for a few years . Never have seen the mythical 4 main 200 but still looking ...

have fun

Back