Adapt a Jeep 4.0L Dizzy to Ford 250CI Motor

cameljockey

is the 4.0L jeep distributor adaptable to the Ford 250 L6.

http://www.accel-dfi.com/ProductDetails ... election=4

The dizzy at the link above provides Cam AND Crank signal for EFI computers I was considering the ACCEL DFI for my 250 CID build.

So far there are three issues I can think of / see with the swap:
1) Distributor gear miss-match
2) Wrong oil pump drive shaft
3) Wrong length / shape to interface with our block

The first two issues are not necessarily show stoppers but the third one could be I think. depending on the difference between the Jeep dizzy's body and the Ford's the only thing you might have to do to make it fit is chuck it up on a lathe and turn it to the size / shape you want.

The advantage of having a Cam sync would be that you can now run full sequential with most aftermarket EFI systems and eventually Mega Squirt (that's my *** talking I have not really been following developments with the MSEFI cam sync is prolly not even needed for that but I did see that they are working on a fully sequential unit) :oops: (I also don't know what type of signal the cam and crank sync provide with this dizzy it might not be the one needed by other aftermarket or MSEFI system)

I am seriously considering this so if you have any info I would greatly appreciate the feed back.

Keep Sixn'

Dan

a 2.3L dizzy with a SEFI reluctor should be able to do the same thing. all ford parts and nothing fancy to it. swap the dizzy gear and reluctor and drop it in the 250

/thread

REALLY?????! :shock: :oops:

Get ready for more of my ignorance. YAAAY!

So Would I have to make sure to properly clock the reluctor with respect to the main rotor?

IIRC the cam sync reluctor sends a rise and peak signal when the number one cylinder intake valve closes and an ECM uses a calculated angle advanced to that signal peak to fire the injectors (more of my un-informed opinions)

So does that mean that the reluctor should be lined up at 0 degrees to the rotor or at the angle that the intake valve opens after TDC? :oops:
Cam & igtnition timing is not my strong suit
I'm still intersted in the adaption though. If it could work

Thanks

Keep Sixin'

on the TFI dizzy the rotor is phased to the reluctor (there is a tab on the rotor that fits in a slot on the reluctor) all the dizzy driven SEFI ford cars use this setup. the SEFI reluctor has one thinner "tooth" on it. this gives a "odd" signal to the ECU that it can detect (read up on the Megasquirt manual on the ford TFI stuff)

injector pulse width at WOT is MUCH longer than the valve opening (if you are running a 80% duty cycle at oad then it is open 80% of the time!!)

SEFI mostly helps with cleaning up idle emissions and allowing larger injectors to be made to idle better (I think)

the 2.3L OHC turbo cars ran batch fire injectors (all four fired at once)

but if you are looking for bolt on EFI stuff the 2.3L dizzy is a good way to go. simple to put together and works with alot of aftermarket ECU's (thanks to the 5.0L croud)

the CFI 3.8L cars used a batch fire reluctor that bolts DIRECTLY into a 2.3L diz.

the SEFI reluctor used different tabs between the reluctor and hub on the shaft. I think you can press these off to swap them or simply file/drill/fill the slots to make it work.

you can run one of these with no ECU but the timing is locked on it. combine with the EEC4 coil for a hotter spark over a duraspark.

Yup, its so easy I built one too so I can hook up 200 TFI distributor to stock wiring harness and EEC IV/Megasquirt adapter and Megasquirt ECU. .

:unsure: VEEERY interesting. Please bear with more questions:

Which year pintos had this motor and distributor?

Do use that dizzy and press my gear onto it?
Or
Do I take the parts out of that dizzy and put them into my dizzy?

I think that the latter is correct. I could not find this in the mega manual is there a particular heading I should be looking under or perhaps the msefi.com forum I will continue to search. in the mean time if you have a link or a source I can read could you please send me a link here :D

Thanks

there is a write up in the EFI section of this forum.

you gear goes onto the 2.3L shaft (dizzy comes out of a mustang or ranger)

pretty much swpa the drive gear and reluctor and that is it (4cyl and 6cyl rotors are the same and the caps between 4 and 6 interchange)

cameljockey":37un5asx said:
:unsure: VEEERY interesting. Please bear with more questions:

Which year pintos had this motor and distributor?

Do use that dizzy and press my gear onto it?
Or
Do I take the parts out of that dizzy and put them into my dizzy?

I think that the latter is correct. I could not find this in the mega manual is there a particular heading I should be looking under or perhaps the msefi.com forum I will continue to search. in the mean time if you have a link or a source I can read could you please send me a link here :D

Thanks

There is no point grabbing a 2.3L Duraspark II distributor, you need to get one off a EEC IV equipped car. Look for 2.3L in Mustang, Capri, Ranger, and some Aerostar's.

I honestly dont know if a Temp/Topaz, Taurus/Sable distributor would work or not since they should have TFI and are a 4cyl based off the 3.3L inline six tooling.

Mustangs had TFI distributors til I think 1990, In 1991 they switched to DIS (Distributorless Ignition System)...but thats a different subject and thread.

Back