All Small Six Adjusting rocker arm "valve adjustment "

This relates to all small sixes

Mach1Mark

I need some help with the valve adjustment. I have an adjustable rocker, just stock whatever that is. I've had it on the car for about 15 years and had no problem. Then the other day I heard a ticking. Pull the valve cover and I found one of the adjustment screws was completely loose. So I assume that the rest of them are probably lose also but really clueless on how to adjust them. I watched a video, a guy with a 200 adjusting the rockers.. and he basically said to top each cylinder to "Top Dead Center" and then adjust the intake and the exhaust to its lash, whatever that is. And then they're set, but if you have hydraulic lifters and the car is not warmed up, isn't that too tight? So somebody talk down to me like a child and tell me how to adjust these valves.. without a lot of technical terms.. thank you so much guys

Read this link, tells you step by step on how to adjust your valves, You Probably have hyd lifters, but you can look down through push rod hole and check and compare yours to the photo from link I sent you...

Just fyi.. I tried the link wcol sent, he posted in a reply.. and it wouldn't run.. valves to tight. Don't know what I did wrong..

But I loosened every adjustment bolt (one at a time) until the valve rocker started to chatter. Then tightened it back down until it stopped chattering.. engine runs better then it ever has. Don't think that's the proper way to do it. Infact I'm sure it's inefficient .. but I don't know what to do. Any input would be great. Thanks

The problem with adjusting the Rocker Arms as in that article is that many of the first timer's will not have developed feel necessary for when the Lifter is adjusted at Zero Lash getting them set to tight. So in your case if you have gotten the Rocker Arms to stop Clattering that is Zero Lash then all you need is another 1/4 turn (some people use up to 1 turn). I really like the 1/4 Turn setting and have used it for decades however you may get a little clatter on first start up in the morning when its cold if you donā€™t like hearing that Ticking than go to 1 turn. Good luck

If it was me I would adjust the lifters running at a very slow idle.
Loosen the adjustment until it clacks the give it a 1/4 turn or more.
If a 1/4 turn isn't enough the rockers will clack until the engine reaches operating temperature.
I gave our High School auto shop class a demonstration on how to adjust Y-Block solid lifters while the engine was running back in the late 1960's.
If it was my car I would install a non-adjustable rocker.
Below is a Ford shop manual ajusting solid lifters while running.
Adjusting hydraulic lifters running is easier.

Valve adjustment running.JPG

the more U play, the more confidence developed.
The 4 cyl continental jobs ("sports cars") I adj
w/feeler gauge while running too. I guess fords
dont squirt/dribble too much?

Last edited:
the more U play, the more confidence developed.
The 4 cyl contenential jobs ("sports cars") I adj
w/feeler guage while running too. I guess fords
dont squire/dribble too much?
A long piece of cardboard will stop oil splash.
In the old days you could use part of the valve cover gasket box or cardboard that the gasket vacuum packed in.

I like that, usta drain it right back where it came from! (sorta)

Back