All Small Six Advice on upgrading the distributor, carburetor on mustang 1965 200 cu

This relates to all small sixes

shreqshack

This is my first post to this site - I need some help.
I was given a base model 1965 mustang with 200 I-6 motor. Everything on the car is stock. it has been sitting for the past 20 years in a garage. The body has no rust. They said it was running when they parked it. I would like to get it back on the road so I can drive it regularly.

I am thinking about upgrading the carb, distributor and fuel pump. I will likely leave everything else stock for now. I would like to get some recommendations on some low cost, mid range and high cost options for these upgrades. Based on what i am reading, the carb and distributor need to work together. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Given a 65 Mustang... you are doing good so far wish it was me. Lots of good advice will be here soon but I would suggest getting a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook, it will be very useful for where you are right now.

Anything sitting that long should be gone through very thoroughly. For me the gas tank was better off just replacing it. New duel master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Basically anything rubber on the car needs checked
Low cost is a carb rebuild kit from mikes carberators, a new set of points, condenser, cap rotor, plugs and wires. And a factory fuel pump. Stock fuel pump can handle quite a bit before needing better gpm
Mid range a dura spark II ignition box and distributor. Not sure on the carb. Maybe modify the one you have to work with the DSII distributor.
Higher end i think an efi 2v system, a custom tuned dui from wsa111 with a msd6a, in tank electric fuel pump, a set of headers.
I'm sure others will point you in a better direction. This is just from the beginning of my education here

Last edited:
Yeah, mine sat from 2006 until recently. It was mostly restored body-wise, but the engine was a mess and it was all I could do to coax it home 15 miles. Replaced the fuel pump (leaking), rubber lines, distributor vacuum advance, ditched the coil, condenser and points for a Pertronix unit and coil, rebuilt carb, alternator, belts and more. Spark plugs, oil change, etc. That got it running fairly well. The engine is okay for the time being, but got a distributor from wsa111 and will go the DSII route when I decide to upgrade the head / exhaust and ditch the carb for a sniper 2300. In the meantime, rebuilding the entire suspension/steering with V8 spindles, disc brakes in front, shelby drop, new bushings everywhere and eventually an updated rear end. While I am definitely taking the high-end approach, I waited 40 years for my 2nd 65 fastback and this time I can afford to do it "right". Enjoy your build! Mine brings me endless pleasure. Oh yeah, also ditching the 3-speed manual and doing a T5 upgrade in the next week or so.

Yeah, mine sat from 2006 until recently. It was mostly restored body-wise, but the engine was a mess and it was all I could do to coax it home 15 miles. Replaced the fuel pump (leaking), rubber lines, distributor vacuum advance, ditched the coil, condenser and points for a Pertronix unit and coil, rebuilt carb, alternator, belts and more. Spark plugs, oil change, etc. That got it running fairly well. The engine is okay for the time being, but got a distributor from wsa111 and will go the DSII route when I decide to upgrade the head / exhaust and ditch the carb for a sniper 2300. In the meantime, rebuilding the entire suspension/steering with V8 spindles, disc brakes in front, shelby drop, new bushings everywhere and eventually an updated rear end. While I am definitely taking the high-end approach, I waited 40 years for my 2nd 65 fastback and this time I can afford to do it "right". Enjoy your build! Mine brings me endless pleasure. Oh yeah, also ditching the 3-speed manual and doing a T5 upgrade in the next week or so.
Sounds about like mine

Does it have an automatic?
If you know how to post some pics of exterior and engine we all like that.

Here are some pictures. It was originally from California Bay Area It spent 25 years in a garage in Cincinnati. I brought it to the Nashville TN area a couple weeks ago. It has all the original parts on it. It’s was built in April 1965 at the San Jose plant. It is a three speed 2.70 top loader. I consider myself handy but I am not a mechanic.... so working on this has been a new experience

Wow you are very fortunate it looks like it is in great condition, that will be an enjoyable Mustang to drive. That is basically the same Mustang I have been looking for but pretty sure I will have to pay for mine! You might benefit from a DSII ignition system and a larger I v carb as a starting point for a slight boost in performance and just generally better running 200. Check to see if you have a dual res master cylinder, if not it is an important safety upgrade.

This is my first post to this site - I need some help.
I was given a base model 1965 mustang with 200 I-6 motor. Everything on the car is stock. it has been sitting for the past 20 years in a garage. The body has no rust. They said it was running when they parked it. I would like to get it back on the road so I can drive it regularly.

I am thinking about upgrading the carb, distributor and fuel pump. I will likely leave everything else stock for now. I would like to get some recommendations on some low cost, mid range and high cost options for these upgrades. Based on what i am reading, the carb and distributor need to work together. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I did not like the distributer/ cab setup. so went to DSII and the best carb that can be actually tune the main jet with a screwdriver while running is a Daytona parts co CHV universal carb, have been running this system for over 70,000 miles, get 20 city and 23 hywy with auto trans

Thanks for all the input so far...You have given more to think about. I am considering a DS II distributor with a Weber 32/36 Carb.... what do you think?

I did not like the distributer/ cab setup. so went to DSII and the best carb that can be actually tune the main jet with a screwdriver while running is a Daytona parts co CHV universal carb, have been running this system for over 70,000 miles, get 20 city and 23 hywy with auto trans
Wow... I will look into the Daytona universal carb.... I was thinking about a Weber. What did that cost?

I have a question about the distributor. I am considering the duraspark 1 or 2 distributor. The DS2 distributor is $265. I could get that but I would rather save some money if I can. What is the difference between the DS1 and DS2? Can I get a used DS distributor to save some cash? Where would I get one? If I went to the junkyard what cars would I be looking for? Any other tips would be very much welcomed?

DSI is a 1975 first year electronic distributor ignistion system they use some different parts and gave the smaller cap. The DSII is 1976 to 1983. In your hunt for a used one look at those years of Ford and Mercury models, such as Mavericks & Comets, Fairmounts & Zephyrs, Mustangs & Capris, Granda's & Monarch's. To do the swap quickly I grab all the parts ie distributor, coil, ICM, and the factory ignition wire harness this makes it almost a plug n play install only requiring running two new wires. If your looking for the cheapest way thought you could also just keep your stock LOM ignition system maybe add a Pertonix and hotter coil, just depends on what kind of performance you looking to get out of your Mustang and other mod's you are planing. Good luck in the hunt.

DSI is a 1975 first year electronic distributor ignistion system they use some different parts and gave the smaller cap. The DSII is 1976 to 1983. In your hunt for a used one look at those years of Ford and Mercury models, such as Mavericks & Comets, Fairmounts & Zephyrs, Mustangs & Capris, Granda's & Monarch's. To do the swap quickly I grab all the parts ie distributor, coil, ICM, and the factory ignition wire harness this makes it almost a plug n play install only requiring running two new wires. If your looking for the cheapest way thought you could also just keep your stock LOM ignition system maybe add a Pertonix and hotter coil, just depends on what kind of performance you looking to get out of your Mustang and other mod's you are planing. Good luck in the hunt.
If I went with adding Pentonix and a hotter coil. What coil would I purchase? Is there a certain model? If I went this route would I be able to upgrade the carburetor (weber 32/36 DGV) or would I need to stay with the stock autolite 1100

Back