• 7"x12" Oval

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AzCoupe

1K+
Departed Member
If Classic Inlines were to make an alloy air cleaner (to match our alloy valve cover) which would you guys prefer? A 10 inch round, or a 7x12 inch oval?

For the past two years, we've tried to make a deal with Moon so we could purchase their 8x15 air cleaners in a raw finish, but they will only sell them fully polished. Since we can't duplicate the size, we will have to cast our own version, in one of the sizes above. By doing this, we can offer them in the same finishes as our alloy valve covers. Either raw, raw with polished fins, black texture powder coat with polished fins, or fully polished.

Of course, if you want a fully polished air cleaner, you could purchase their 8x15 oval or 14 inch round. Note the 14 inch round won't fit on applications with an OZ head or our new aluminum head, as they hit the shock tower.

Here's what the fully polished versions looks like. The pics are of their 8x15 oval and 14 inch round covers. Ours would look exactly the same as we both use the same pattern maker. However, ours would be slightly smaller, and in the various finishes.

ACoval1.jpg
ACround.jpg

8x15
ACoval2.jpg

7x12 Not the best photoshop skills, but you get an idea of the size.
ACoval3.jpg

8)

Normally I like the round air cleaners but this time I have to go with the oval aircleaner.

With the long inline valve cover the oval air cleaner seems a natural match. The aesthetics seem perfect and well balanced.

im running the 34ich webers so i need 3 little ones , you had a pix of them a year or so ago ,, you gona do them too? (so they match the valve cover)

charlie

Mike, I like the 7x12 oval, but I don't think there is enough hood clearance on a 69 Mustang with a 250 in it to fit if it is 4" tall. I only have 3 1/2" from the top of the carb to the hood.

Bill

I like the oval one better but you better check the hood clearance with the new intake.

I'm pretty sure with a 4" height the oval one will hit the hood brace on a 64-66 Mustang.

Later,

Doug

In a functional sense either would likely do the job just fine, but I agree with the others who have voted so far that the oval shape just looks better with the inline six engine and your valve cover.

Having said that I suppose one of the major concerns here is to use an air filter size that is common enough that a person can, if required, easily obtain a replacement element from ordinary local sources. Is the element used in the 7" x 12" oval a standard size?

Also, one concern for a whole lot of the folks who use these small six engines is clearance between their air cleaner and the diagonal brace which runs from the shock tower to the firewall. Aesthetics has to take a backseat to the obvious concern of selecting a design which actually fits in the cars of the folks who will be using this. If both designs are equally able to fit in these cars, then this isn't a concern, but if one fits and the other doesn't, well ...

:)

When we get some of the heads installed with the new intakes and carbs, we'll see what the hood clearances will allow and go from there. I'll probably have to make a custom base. Right now, I'm just trying to see which style would be prefered. Thanks guys.

I'd like an oval one, with a bottom that could be adapted to fit on my three singles now(log head) & then buy another base to fit a single four barrel aluminum head later.
The drawback that I see, so far, is the 7x12 will probably be too short (lengthwise)for my 3 singles. I'd even use three round filters under the oval lid & base.....
Darryl

8) another vote for the oval air cleaner, but i highly recommend designing a drop base style air cleaner.

I'm getting a security message that's stopping me from seeing the images.

It's to do with a security certificate from "equifax" or somesuch. When I click "No" at the point of being asked if I wish to proceed, it blocks the image downloads...

An air cleaner housing that's capable of 50-state compliance and doesn't ignore the Coanda effect, would get my vote! ;)

AzCoupe":1si1stk7 said:
When we get some of the heads installed with the new intakes and carbs, we'll see what the hood clearances will allow and go from there. I'll probably have to make a custom base. Right now, I'm just trying to see which style would be prefered. Thanks guys.

maybe a base that is offset closer to the head might work?

Bill

addo":3j4ufao3 said:
An air cleaner housing that's capable of 50-state compliance and doesn't ignore the Coanda effect, would get my vote! ;)

When we did flow test on the intake manifolds, we made a design modification based on the Coanda effect. As the air flow enters the plenum chamber, it has a tendency to flow along the side walls, slaming into the plenum floor rather than flowing into the intake runners. To reduce the effect, we modified the carb spacer/adaptor by machining a 6 degree reverse angle on the adaptor. Next the plenum opening was machined to match the adaptor, but only in the corners, while a slight shelf was left on the center of all four sides. The shelves create a shreding effect, which prevents the air flow from following the plenum walls and helps it make the 90 degree transition into the intake runners.

One would think the same therory could be applied the the air cleaner base. Since I'm probably going to be required to design a custom base, and have access to a flow bench with baseline flow test, it might be worthwhile to persue the thought. :idea:

:D Addo and all,ment to post sooner.Just click the YES button 4 times.Notice is gone,and pics will show.At least,thats what works for me.
Leo

Back