Another bb6 4.9 turbo build

Hey all, new to the forum but a long time reader!!I'm putting my truck through another phase. Pulled out the built carb converted 357 sbf out of my 90 f150 sold most of it off in order to fund a turbo 4.9 Maf obd 2 swap, so far my parts bin consists of a 96 4.9 complete with ecu, harness, m5r2 and everything to make it work. I've been looking at a precision turbo 65/67 collecting dust at work. Tuning won't be a problem as i have access to everything to do it (dynojet, software, etc.) Engine is torn down to short block, has 370k kms and I don't see much for wear. Ordered a complete gasket set, a felpro 1024 head gasket, arp head studs. Going to port the head, may go with bigger valves if I can find a way to do it on the cheap like Chevy valves or something. Running stock cam and lifters with joe gibbs racing oil, putting in stiffer valve springs. Probably run meth injection and pump gas,
here's what I need from you guys:
Anything I should add to this build? Haven't looked into intercooling or boost control yet if someone could point me into that direction, bassically the purpose of this build is because I want it daily drivable no matter the season no matter the journey. What should I look at for Injectors? From what I've read the obd 2 swap is going g to be a bit of a challenge so I am seeking 96 4.9 ecu pinouts and if anyone has done this swap I need pointers before I hang myself with all the wiring. What should I look at getting for a clutch? Is there a way to make a shortshifter?

cool, sounds fun. already jealous of the equipment you have access to.

There isn't a whole lot of info out there from folks trying to run the EEC5 computer stock with a turbo... in theory it should be able to self correct up to about 5 psi of boost (obviously less if you are running cam, valves, porting) but nobody has cracked the code to tune them or burn chips so the tuning potential is pretty limited.

most people end up going to a megasquirt-2 system, its cheap, easy and totally tuneable, you can also add a boost control solenoid and control the TFI module advance/retard. That puts you back on to speed density but ultimately results in a system that is much easier to work with.

you can go to an 11" clutch, seems like the 10" is good for just under 300 ft-lbs.

short shifter? Hmm you can cut the shift lever shorter... its direct shifted duh so i doubt that is possible, no linkages to modify, you'd have to get into machining components to go into the selector box.

intercooler? hmm biggest one you can stuff in the grille i reckon... the power stroke turbos depending on the year of your truck may be a direct fit or adaptable with junkyard parts. the cummins one is real nice. Mine is from a volvo V70R and should fit nicely in my '68.

no idea on the turbo selection. you're on your own there, crunch it through a turbo calculator and see what you get.

I draw trough the maf truck 'seems' to work fine 6psi with no tune and larger injectors, i know its not proper by any means, blew my head gasket recently at 10psi with too small of a turbo....

Back