All Small Six Balancer removal

This relates to all small sixes

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
So, I have an aftermarket balancer on my 67, and/or it was installed backwards. There are no bolt holes for the puller, and the claw popped the outer ring off. Anyone have advice for getting this balancer off? I can’t seem to get purchase with the claw on the inner disk, and I’m leery of crowbarrng against the timing cover or oil pan.

So, I have an aftermarket balancer on my 67, and/or it was installed backwards. There are no bolt holes for the puller, and the claw popped the outer ring off. Anyone have advice for getting this balancer off? I can’t seem to get purchase with the claw on the inner disk, and I’m leery of crowbarrng against the timing cover or oil pan.
You have taken the bolt out? If the outer ring has been pulled off, you might need to make some legs for the puller to get behind the inner part. DO NOT lever on the timing cover. Can you show a photo of it, its a bit odd that there is no bolt holes.

I did loosen the bolt, the balancer is just REALLY on there. I was able to get it mostly off, but I need a longer bolt. This engine just has a mess of bad stuff going on. Someone put the spring shims on top of the springs, between the spring and retainer, and my head has a braised crack repair. I’m not sure I blew a head gasket, rather I might have re-cracked the head. Glad I have a new one.

;ow I’m trying to figure out how to get the water pump pulley off, it’s also really on there. I’m getting closer to not swapping the cam…

Yeah, I'm pulling the plug. Trying to do a cam swap is just creating too many issues I don't have time to navigate. I'm going to put the cam, lifters, and dual roller timing chain in a box with the new balancer when it arrives, and kick the can down the road. I have the balancer off my original 200 I'll install and get back to installing my head and getting the car running. :(

Got it straightened out, going to make sure I get my ducks in a row for the install, and get it back together. hope to be driving in a couple weeks.

i remember ur wrk on the i6bronk.
(decade ago?)
Hows the DUI treatin ya?
Which 302? ('68/78) Satisfied yet?

I didn't work on a six bronco, wish I did though. I searched and searched for a six, and couldn't find one in my price range.

I think my DUI is shot. The car runs rough, and when I troubleshoot with a timing light, it looks like cylinders 3 and 6 aren't firing worth a damn. I swapped out wires and plugs, same issue. Looks like a spark issue. Those cylinders didn't fire at all before I replaced the wires, and I think it went on so long there was a ton of oil build up, because it still smokes. I can't really be satisfied with the 302 while it works like a politician, but I have a 91 roller block to rebuild with GT40 heads, and explorer EFI intake and explorer serpentine belt setup. Makes me want a serpentine belt for my mustang....

"...didnt... (have)...a six bronco..."
Huh, thought U efi'n turboed it.
I asked bout the DUI as davis is a bit verboned here (over priced for the results). Some see that as a mistake (just one: leakes oil) more tho

Yeah, I didn’t/wouldn’t buy a DUI, it came with the bronco. They had to chop the hood to fit it too :(.

Back