All Small Six Bench Race My Exhaust

This relates to all small sixes

Rev.LowBuck

I'm a ways from pulling the trigger on this, but I overthink and sometimes over research stuff long before I do it. I've run across this quote a few times and wanted to see if anyone has actually tried it, or at least seen something like it installed.

From Pete Hagenbuch who was in on the performance development of Chrysler's Slant 6 "I wanted in the worst kind of way to have a twin exhaust system because, man, will that do wonders for a six. You put one, two and three, and four, five and six together and you run 'em down about 6 or 8 feet and bring them together in one tailpipe and you've added great huge gobs of output.".

I wish Pete was still around because I have lots of questions. Primarily, is this idea good for low end torque or is it an upper range horsepower proposition?

So, an eBay header with dual 2" pipes. A y-pipe just in front of the axle with 2.5" over the axle to the longest glasspack I can get.
OR
Header with 2" duals to a dual in single out muffler just in front of the axle with a 2.5" over the axle and out to the bumper.

As for sound, it'll be great or awful.

Thoughts?

A 143 net horsepower 2.3 liter 16 valve 2009 Ranger only has a single 1.9" outside exhaust pipe.
This Ranger will blow away a log head six with or without a header.
A stock large log 200 only has around 89-90 net horse power.

Ak Miller gained 10 rear wheel horsepower by drilling a 67 Mustang 200 62F carb jet to .067.
The air-fuel ratio went from 14.0 to 12.5.
He suggested a .065 jet for all around usage.
Ak gained another 10 rear wheel horsepower by installing a Dougs header on the 67 Mustang 200 which would have had a 1-3/4" exhaust system.

Ak Miller gained 10 rear wheel horsepower by drilling a 67 Mustang 200 62F carb jet to .067.
The air-fuel ratio went from 14.0 to 12.5.
He suggested a .065 jet for all around usage.
Ak gained another 10 rear wheel horsepower by installing a Dougs header on the 67 Mustang 200 which would have had a 1-3/4" exhaust system.
Thanks for the AK reference. Yeah, I'm thinking that the exhaust seemed large but most builders are going that route. Taking the 2" header outlet to 1.75, even 1.5 then running the duals back might work well for the sake of velocity and low end torque.
I have a large log head discussed in other posts that I plan on putting on after a trip to the machine shop. Conversion to Autolite 2100 will be part of that deal but I'll consider re-jetting the carb in the meantime. Regarding exhaust- gotta find the balance between velocity and too much back pressure. I should read up on fluid dynamics.

Dual exhaust on a six sounds good. Smaller pipe should be easier to install.
I have a cheap ebay header that I'm test fitting to a spare 200 with a large log head.
My current 200 has a large log head and a 2" outlet exhaust manifold.
The rear half of the exhaust is 2 1/4" with a 2 1/2" turbo muffler adapted to it.
I have a 2-1 exhaust pipe adapter that will be 2 1/4" out that I will install if or when I put the header on.
Going to the larger rear pipe + muffler from 2" didn't seem to increase the power but maybe a header will help.

Here the Ak Miller article, "Horsing Around with the Mustang Six" + a few Ford shop tips. (pdf file).

Attachments

• Horsing around with the mustang six.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
I once cut the transverse muffler off my 1968 390 4 speed GT Mustang.
I got a ticket for excessive noise.
Without any repairs I drove to a CHP inspection station to get the ticket signed off.
The CHP inspection officer asked me what I did to fix it.
I said "I have pipes running past the rearend."
During the inspection I didn't rev the engine very much.
The CHP officer said "it sounds like you have glass packs.
He signed off the ticket.
At my court appearance the judge asked me: "Did you fix it?"
I said: "I got the ticket signed off."

Last edited:
As for the video, it May be long. For some people, but. It is informativ. He is giving away knowlige for free, not once telling you to buy something. Just telling stories of how things came to be, combined with proven tech. I, for one, do like it.

I found time to watch the vid. Really interesting, gave me a bunch of new ideas. So my thoughts will chase another rabbit trail for a while.
I'm still looking for someone who has tried Pete Hagenbuch's recommendation.

Back