All Small Six Carb advice

This relates to all small sixes

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
Normally I prefer to research things, and present my thoughts for validation, but I’m a bit too buried so this will be lite.

I’m about to install my rebuilt large log head on my 200/T5. On the fence on investing additional time in installing my 264/274-112* Hydraulic Dual Pattern Cam because after 8 months unemployed with no money and lots of time, I now have little money and not much time with the new job.

The engine’s 40 over, 48cc chamber, mechanical advance, header and dual exhaust/turbo mufflers. My 1100 carb won’t fit anymore, so I need to replace it. The easiest options I think are 1101 or 32/36 with adapter. Is one option better than the other, or is there a better choice? I don't have time and emotional capitol for an efi conversion, though I’d love a sniper.

Hi Invectivus, the 32/36 Weber with adapter will be slightly better for power, the 1101 will have an edge for economy. If your 1100 is still good you could also make a simple flat adapter plate out of 3/8 inch Aluminum or 1/4 inch Steel plate with the 1 5/8 inch opening on top that then funnels out to go into the heads 1 3/4 inch opening. On the 32/36 Weber it can also be improved with a bit of grinding for a little extra power to if you open up the Log Heads Carb opening to a bigger 2 inch opining or even as an oval then also use a generous Radius of a 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch on the bottom side of the Carb Hole going into the longest parts of the Log this helps the Flow to turn into it. Then the Carb Adapter is opened up to match the new opening. It really would be a good time to also install the Cam if you can, no pressure though if you can't do it I really understand the last two years have also been hard for me. Good Luck I am rooting for you.

Hi, personally, I would install the cam. It will take more time and money to do that later. I look at it this way, you have the cam, but not the carb. So install the parts you have and save up for the Weber and the adapter, or the 1101. If you hog out the carb opening as Bubba mentioned, which makes good sense, the head should be on the work bench so you can clean the chips out. If you do the cam later, you will have to pull the motor, and the head, and the front cover. Good luck

anecdotally :
My '63 wagon has a similar setup to your build.

@ 15 years ago swapped in a low-miles Maverick 170 (C8DE block - DODE 170 Cyl Head) and added a 32-36(H/W5200) carb through a $15 2X1 adapter, Hooker long tube headers, T5 5 spd. The 170 had moderate head work and milled @ .070 for @ 48cc chambers, with a Steel Shim gasket - 170 bore/stroke SCR approaches 10:1 .

Great mileage and fairly quick (on 93+ octane ) The original gas pedal linkage worked with the 5200 - HW32/36 with a little forming'

. . .

OEM C8DE Ford 170, Precision Machine D7 Head . Oversize intake valves/1.50 exh with- silicon springs and HD retainers, . Milled head w/ Steel Shim Gasket. CR= @ 9.5:1. H/W 5200 - 2.8 series (32/36) progressive 2Bbl carb., Exhaust ¾ siamese port divider, Champion racing spark plugs, Contact Point/Condensor distributor, Diaphragm Clutch. NWC T5 Adaptor/5speed tranny, Short throw Hurst Indy shifter, OEM 3.50: rear, Shelby sway bar, Addco rear sway bar , Fabricated subframe connectors / crossmember, Hooker 6601 dual out longtube headers. Shoulder belts front and belts for three in rear, Dual chamber master cylinder, OEM wide-wagon brakes, dual air line rear shocks, 14” wheels & 205/195-14 tires, Countersprung Tailgate, Original tube radio …

hav e fun

Last edited:
IMHO, if your under a budget time or price wise, Use the AMC 258 BBD 2bbl six cylinder or 225 1978-1982 SuperSix carb, and do the 78 200 mod. That ought to get you a two corner idle to help the curb fuel supply to each leg of the log. Copy his linkage. Having an extra dimension of fuel supply adjustment and keeping the carb simultaneously synchronised always helps with on off traffic economy. The small staged 2bbl carbs , are often a let down, because the fuel circuits are not always used, and the mechanical secondary operation is a blank alley for fuel particle drop out.

I'll post a link.

275 CFM Carter BBD. Many nice metering rods exist for this carb.

See "http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?191000-Carter-BBD-2-barrel-on-a-200-large-log-six", but stay here at Ford Six, and get some good advice.

I love the little 225, 258 and 273 cubic inch Carter 2bbls. They come with a return line filter, so Hot Fuel handling isn't a problem, and the two bolt log head is able to be ported like an oval section, which allows you to do a direct mount modification, without having to disk off the mounting lugs.

This might be the best Poor Man's Direct Mount Log 2 bbl conversion...

Thanks for the input. I think I like the idea of the BBD and it’s tighter bore spacing More, though I have the 2-1 weber adapters for both 1.5 and my larger 1.75 carb holes and a box of dgv, 5200, and at least one dfv at the shop. Have to explore costs, and see if I have a boring head for my mill.

To reply to some other posts:
The 1100 I have is suspect, the engine came from a 66 that was getting a V8 swap. It came with the load-o-matic with a bum vac can, I swapped to a 69 mechanical advance. I’d like a more modern option.

Cam is used, I was told the lifters were labeled, I still need to check. I’m leaning toward installing it and getting my double roller chain in as well.

it’s just intimidating, I haven’t done any engine work before, besides simple water pumps, headers, or distributors. It also doesn’t leak which is great, hate to break that seal.

Back