carb question

It is probably fairly obvious, but I am new to the Forum and I hope someone an help me. First. I have owned a 66 Mustang Coupe for around 30 years. There is a long story to its purchase but as I am not much of a typist, I don't want to type until midnight. My children both learned to dive with this car, and although it wasn't her fault, my daughter wrecked it. (not horrible tho) Second: When it came her time to buy her first car, she ended up with a 65 Coupe which she has had now since about 1998. Three years ago she asked me to bring the car to my place as she couldn't get and keep it running. I have been able to do that, but now I believe it has a mismatch between the intake manifold and the carb. If this is not the correct page to start on, please advise so I can go there. I am stumped.
Thanks

Welcome aboard.
Is there a vacuum leak in that area?

I don't think so. I have had the engine running However the engine was at approx. 1100 rpm at idle the vacuum was about 16 (the needle was in the green). The lowest i was able to get about 925-950. I did find that the head is from a 69 Falcon. I have not checked the hole size in the intake manifold.

Hi, the early carbs and intakes have a 1 1/2" opening, in 1969 the opening went to 1 3/4". Early carbs are matched to the early ignition, in @ 67 the carbs and ignitions were upgraded. All the details are available in the tech section. Figure out if you have the correct or mismatched parts and go from there. I agree with wsa111, the most likely cause of high idle is a vacuum leak. Good luck

If it has ran fine in the past on the current set up, I'd say rebuild the carb for a start. Ethanol eventually eats everything it touches on a carburated car, especially after sitting for any amount of time, easily causes blockage in fuel passages in the carb. Check all the rubber lines in the fuel supply line.

I was wondering about the distributor/carburetor marriage. I don’t think my distrib is original. Took pictures. My distributor has mechanical weights (I believe) and a vacuum port. The carb has the spark control valve. It is my understanding that the two need to work with one another. If i can get the pictures loaded in this post.

You either need to get a carb. without the SCV or modify yours to delete its function.

...Figure out if you have the correct or mismatched parts and go from there...
I’m w/ B Ron
I know it wuz “ok” B4, these can trick ya:
found @ Tech Archive, top of this page, on blue horrozontal line.

What's the update? I was curious to see if the carb and the manifold intake are mismatched and if that caused a vacuum leak or some other issue.

Back