Carb sreens; a different theory of vaporisation

Divco man

This is kind of a continuation of the 100 mpg thread, but since I'm taking it in a different direction, and that ones kinda long, starting a new one. We've all heard of it, some of us have probably tried it, or know someone who has. Make a sandwich, with 2 carb to intake gaskets as the bread, and 1 or more layers of SS screen as the meat.Some say to use 2 layers of screen, and run the strands of 1 at a 45 degree angle to the other.Others say to make it so the screen is at an angle to the direction of flow, and to explain why, say this; "Take an aerosol can of wd40 or similar product, and a piece of screen. Hold 1 in each hand, so that you can view the edge of the screen, as you spray thru it. Start spraying with the can parrallel to the screen, and gradually tilt the screen.When you get to the 'right' angle, the spray turns into a cloud or fine mist."Some have put the screen between 2 intake manifold gaskets. And then, theres Don Kendalls Intake manifold scrolls. (See the Yahoo group of that name for details).Basically, he uses Galv. screen, (in case any pieces come loose and are sucked into the combustion chamber, less likely to cause damage). He rolls the screen up, and works it into the intake manifold, so its laying in the main runner, and going up the legs, ALMOST to the intake valves.All claim similar results;better milege, smoother running, more low end torque.All things which are somewhat subjective, without thorough before and after testing.
I had always figured the way they work is similar; droplets of gas are caught in the screen, and smaller droplets are sucked off the 'backside'.Then I read the patent for the "Webster-Hieste Valve".The inventor puts forth a theory to explain how his invention works, that he calls "Sonic shock vaporisation".Never heard of it anywhere else.
First, some background. Webster was the patent lawyer, Hieste the inventor.Hieste had been experimenting for several years with variable venturi carburetors. (Or, as I prefer to call them, Constant Vacuum carbs, as opposed to Variable Vacuum carbs.)His invention is composed of 3 main elements; The 1st is the valve.It mounts at the bottom of the variable vacuum (typical american style) carb, centered under the venturi. At least in terms of its effect on vacuum, it converts a variable vacuum carb to a constant vacuum carb, insuring that you'll have similar vacuum at all throttle positions.The 2nd part is a fuel air mix diverter. Also centered under the venturi, its a cone shaped piece, with its flat botton resting on the bottom of the intake manifold, and concave sides.Its purpose is to turn the fuel air mix from vertical direction to horizontal direction.The final part is the screen; 2 layers of screen, 1 course, (50 strands per inch) and 1 fine, (120 strands per inch), layed right up against each other, and formed into a cup shape, and then into a flange that can go into the sandwich (looks like a sink strainer).His theory, or explanation is this; The droplets of atomised gasoline are traveling down out the bottom of the venturi at greater than the speed of sound .They are turned 90 degrees, and firstly cross a slower moving stream of droplet free air, coming down the outside of the venturi. Then they encounter the screen, which causes a sudden decelleration.This sudden deceleration causes 'sonic shock', which causes the droplets to vaporise. For analogy, I think of it this way; Imagine you had "Bewitched" kind of power. A fighter plane is traveling at Mach 1+. You twitch your nose, causing it within 50 feet, to slow to,...say 100 m.p.h.Even tho it didn't hit anything, such rapid deceleration would cause it to,...well vaporise.
The claim in his patent is for improved mileage. He apperently DID demonstrate it for the big 3, in the early 80's, and had a 'successful' demonstration.
Interestingly, he says nothing in his patent about needing to heat the intake manifold.I know my 262 has a heated carb spacer, below the carb, to prevent carb icing.When gasoline vaporises, it gets cold.Maybe thats only when vacuum is used for vaporising, and doesn't happen during 'Sonic shock vaporising".I don't know if its possible/practical to get totally vaporised gasoline into the combustion chamber, or whether the compression stroke would cause it to change back into a liquid.I don't know if adding heat would help to keep it vaporised. I don't know how much (if you could do it) it would improve mileage, or if 'lean burn' would be a problem.It does seem to me that a constant vacuum carb is a logical first step. I don't know whether Hieste came up with his valve cause he figured he'd never sell Detroit on those 'Europeen" carbs, or whether the valve is what made his invetion unique, and therefore patentable.I am gonna experiment with this, and to make it easy on myself, I'm starting off with a Predator Varible Venturi Carburetor.You can't "over-carb" with a variable venturi, and they list them as 300-930c.f.m. I'm bolting it to a Clifford intake, needing min. of 390 c.f.m., so I shoud be o.k. there.No need for the valve, so gonna put a bar, (triangular in cross section, with concave sides and a flat bottom)centered with the 'point' directly under the air doors, to turn the flow from vertical to horizontal.And then make a 'sink strainer' with 2 layers, (1 coarse, 1 fine, strands 45 degrees to each other).Anyway, wifes home with 'honey-do's, sorry for the long post, hope this generates some discussion. Jim

8) there were actually carb mounting gaskets that had screens built into them to improve fuel economy and emissions. these gaskets were produced in the early 80's, but they were just a fad at the time as most testing indicated that they were marginally effective at best.

Joe, "Thank you for your support", project is going slow, and I'm along way from the finnish, but I will keep ya apprised, either way. Roehm (?) I don't know if its gonna work, just gonna try it, along with a # of other things. Actually, there is still a company selling intake gaskets w/screens, but they only make it for 1 engine, and since I don't have 1, I forgot what it is. Found em on the I-net, while researching this.
My truck is a Divco milktruck, the largest standard model they made, (127" w.b). Actually, theres almost 5' between the rear axle centerline and the back bumper, and 3 1/2' up front, so its a BIG truck.Still, I've done what I can; lost the reefer unit, thats over 1000Lbs., and the 6:1 rockwell rear axle, probably another 1000lbs, especially since it had 20 helper leaf springs, per side, in the rear. Used the actual spring, with 2 helpers, to mpont/align the new axle, and airbagged it.G.m Corp. 14 bolt, w/disc brake conversion, 4:11 gear ratio.Put a Gear Vendor on the back of the T98 (granny) 4-speed.Put a front axle off a 30', 79 Dodge Winnebago, mathing lug pattern and disc brakes.Divco's version of power steering was a 2 1/2' dia. steering wheel, so I put a power steering gearbox out of a 1 ton ford. Finding the right combo of pitman arm and drag link was fun, let me tell you! In addition to lowering the frame, I'm mounting the body on the frame about 2" lower.Putting a complete belly pan under it. From the back of the firewall to the back bumper, theres going to be a duct 14"-16" high, 39" wide, carrying the positive pressure air back to the negative pressure area at the back of the truck. Will be interesting to see what effect that has, if any, on drag. Puters starting to overheat, so better shut up now. Jim

Thad, What is it your wanting pictures of, exactly? I had a bunch on my computer, but it died, taking most of them with it.Got a couple of disposable digital cameras, going to take some of the frame and body before, during and after re-assembly. The ones of the frame will show the 'duct', I think. Is that what your wanting? Jim

Food for thought.

Most of those screen type gaskets are very restrictive, that is why they have to make a cone. I gives more surface area.
You are useing a predator carb on a 4V intake. If the intake has one large opening, this might be plenty area for a flat gasket to support a 300cid.
It is difficult to make air (or anything) turn 90 degrees while traveling that fast. If you are correct about slowing the flow, it will make the turn easier after the screen, than before the screen. Provided the inertia, minus the airflow, doesn't carry the fuel straight to the floor.

Maybe I missed something. But it seems to me that when you add the screen, it will become a restriction. Whenever you add a restriction, the air before it slows down, and the air/fuel will try to accelerate thru the restriction. The velocity after the restriction might be to slow to keep the fuel from dropping out of the air stream. If it is vaporised well, this won't be as much of a problem.

I can see two lines of thought.
1: The screen must not restrict the flow. It must put the brakes on the fuel and cause it to vaporise.

2: When fuel travels from a high pressure area to a low pressure area, it can flash into vapor.

I am not trying to discourage you, just adding food for thought.

No problem. As I said, I don't know if it will work, and if it makes things worse, I can always take it off.After the air/fuel (or vapor) exits the screen, it needs to turn 90 degrees, again, to go into the manifold 'legs'. I'm considering putting honeycomb in the 'entrance' to the legs, to break up any turbulence caused by the turn.I've heard that you actually get more airflow with a honeycomb than without, cause turbulence is innefficiency. If, and its a big if, the fuel is vaporised, then I'm not getting any advantage from the turbulence, (as I would with atomised fuel), and getting the vapor into the cylinder as efficently as possible would seem to me to be an advantage, and might reduce the tendency of the fuel to re-liquify.Again, I can always try it with and without the honeycombs, and take em out if they don't improve things.The tales I've heard told by people who've put screens in don't say they prove to be any kind of restriction.So, I'm gonna see, and will definetly post my results here and on other forums, whether it is an improvement or not.I know putting my truck on a diet had to help, and I'm sure the gear vendor will to. The things I'm trying on the engine, not sure. Seems to me the duct should do something to reduce drag, but again not sure how much.Anywho, sure am ready for this project to be done, or at least in the fun finishing stages!Been at it for over 1 1/2 years, and I'm probably somewhere mpast the 1/2 way point. Jim

How cool, a Big Six with a Predator in a Divco!! A contrarian's dream!

I thought the 240/300 are big six, the 262's are small six, but no matter.My Divco has sliding doors, both for the cab doors, and between the cab and the box. And, I've already got air for the suspension system, so I can't resist. "Beam me up, scotty!" Gonna use air cylinders to make the doors open/close. I don't know if its contrarian, but it'll be cool!
Mine is a "Cal. Divco", which means it left the factory as a cab and chassis, went to a shop in El Monte, Cal. where they put a fiberglass box on it.Stock Divco doors bi-fold out to open, and are controlled by levers on the cieling. Mine has doors like a UPS or Fedex truck, that slide back into a pocket.Also, the stock Divco has rubrails and a kind of panel design in the side. Mine is totally flat, so I'm gonna "woodie" it, from behind the cab doors on back, and emulate the stock design.And, gonna put a vinyle roof on it.It has a split, or 2 piece, windshield, flat glass but angled back at the sides and back, and large 'wind wing' windows on the side, same hieght as the windshield, although only the drivers opens.Gonna cut out the post between the windshield and the windwing, and wrap the windshield around, although I am gonna keep the center divider.Got frieghtliner air seats, gonna use the mechanism, but don't care for the seats. Got a couple of salon chairs I bought for the mechanism. Were very handy when I was changeing out the axles, let me tell you!Slide it under the frame, step down and up she goes! Anyway, I think theres enough room for me to use the chairs, setting on the freightliner mechanisms.Should make for a comfortable ride.Jim

Oops, missed that about it being a 262. I don't even know what a 262 is. :oops: But I always dug Divcos. When I was a kid, our family milkman was Bill Brow, "The World's Fastest Milkman," who was one of the top limited and unlimited hydroplane drivers until he was killed in 1967. I was mad for hydros, and sometimes would get on the Vitamilk truck when it stopped at the house, and pester Mr. Brow with questions about the boats as he drove his route. In late 1958, the company replaced his rattling old truck with a shiny new Divco, which seemed very sleek and classy, as milk-trucks go. I didn't know until decades later that Divcos from the late Thirties didn't look a lot different.

262's are the last in the line, (215/223/262) of inline 6's that Ford made before the 240/300s.On this forum, there in the "Vintage inline" group, along with the earlier flatheads.They started with the 215's in the early 50's, then intro'd the 223's in the late 50's, and the 262 in the erly 60's.They only made them till 65-67, cause they intro'd the 240-300.4 main bearings, and a strange siamese cylinder set-up, so the intake has 4 legs.A very smooth sturdy engine, not meant for high speed. Lots of low end torque.As for Divco's there another owner I chatted with, had a mid-sixties, but whenever anyone asked, he told them it was a 1943.Like VW, they kept the same body style till thye end, in the early 80's.They are built like a brick ship yard, as they were meant to give 10 years service, 7 days a week, hauling milk and ice, (in the early models) and a 1000lbs+ reefer unit, in the later models.I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures, later.Jim

Trying, again. Nope! I have a picture in my computer. Its in "my pictures", and its labelled "divco 002". When I try to add it to my post, I put in "My pictures divco 002", ot just divco 002 in the file name, and it comes back the file is empty. Anyone want to help a computer illiterate to post some pics? Jim

just a test

spkspl.jpg

Works fine for me?

Do you use the "browse" button to find your pic on the computer?

When that is done, do you click the "add the file" button?
After that, just click the submit button

Like what you used, for the test. And I remember "speak and spell".I downloaded 2 pics, from my e-mail, from when I first got my truck. Now my computer is giving me problems, even when I'm not on the I-net, so I think there may be something wrong with them.Gonna delete them, see if that solves the problem. If so, I'll try some I've got on disk. And yes, thats exactly what I did.Anyway, thanks and I'll try plan "B". Jim

A fellow I worked in the early 1970's tried this screen deal on his Ford truck during the 'gas shortage' baloney. It really cut the power out of the truck.

they were coned shaped as mentioned. 8)

O.k, Heres some questions, very hypothetical don't know if anyone can answer. Some have suggested the screens would be a restriction. I don't know whether they would, or not.The scrolls look like they would, but those who've tried them say no.Anyway, lets say i put screen under the carb on a given engine, conventional carb.The a/f is more finely atomised down stream, but it does cause a restriction, cutting power. Lets say I'm able to measure that amount of restriction, and its "X" amount. So I get a carb thats "X" amount bigger, and put it on the engine, with the same screen.Would the 2 offset each other?i.e. the carb which would (without the screens) be 'overcarbing' is offset by the restriction of the screen, and the restriction of the screen is offset by the larger carb?Now, the real question; How does this relate when using the Predator?You can't 'overcarb' with one; if the engines demand is for 300cfm, it gives 300cfm, etc. So, IF the screen causes a restriction, would the Predator compensate for that, or not?Any thoughts or even guesses? Jim

Same amount of air will go through the screens , wither the carb is 200 cfm or 850 cfm.... my thoughts on it

Divco man":1ruoa562 said:
...... Some have suggested the screens would be a restriction....

How can they NOT be a restriction? :banghead:

We are discussing hanging an object in a column of moving air. Air (and fuel) molecules impinging on the wires will absolutely cause drag. The question is will that be significant to performance/economy, and is it worthwhile.

Don't get too hung up on over-carbing. Every carburetor is too big most of the time, that's why they have throttle butterflies in there: to restrict (limit) the airflow to the demands of the engine at any given time.

Two-stage type carbs (four-barrels and progressive two-barrels) that use vacuum operated secondaries will hardly ever over-carb because they won't open the secondaries too far if the engine isn't demanding that much air (assuming proper adjustment of the mechanism).

Max power can be hurt by over-vaporizing, but fuel economy probably wants the fuel vaporized as much as possible (that is the theory behind the Pogue carb). This is also why Ford attached the intake manifold directly to the exhaust manifold; to provide a "hot spot" for the fuel to vaporize on.
YMMV
Joe

Back