"Carcraft" How big a cam to use?

A

Anonymous

This is an article from Carcraft on cams I thought some may be interested in.
Tim

Camshafts
300 hp for Parts Put To The Test

By Matthew King
Photography: Matthew King

This article is aimed at anyone who's ever sat in the most important room in the house thumbing through a catalog and blankly wondering which cam to pick for a mild-performance small-block Chevy. We know the drill because we've done it: You skip the tiny grinds and figure one of the middle-of-the-pack cams should do the trick. The problem is which one, when there are several bunched together that all sound good?

To illustrate the dilemma, we flipped through our latest Summit Racing catalog and checked out the company’s line of in-house grinds. Skipping the first three weak-suck profiles, we found SUM-K1103, a cam with 214/224 degrees of duration at 0.050-inch lift, intake/exhaust lifts of 0.442/0.465 inch, and a lobe separation angle of 112 degrees. Sounds good. But what about SUM-K1104? That’s got 10 degrees more intake duration and a 0.465-inch intake lift; the exhaust profile is the same, so it’s a single-pattern cam. Sounds better, but wait! There’s also SUM-K1105, a bigger split-pattern ’stick with a hearty 224/234 degrees of duration at 0.050 and 0.465/0.488 lift. That sounds aggressive without being too radical. Since they all cost the same $79.95, why not get a little more bang for the buck? You can see the quagmire we’re quickly spiraling into: Some is good but more is better, and before too long, we’ll be pulling 9 inches of vacuum and sounding like we’re running in Pro Stock Eliminator.

Camshafts
Ivan Tighe Engineering Citysearch Brisbane
http://www.citysearch.com.au

When it comes to cam selection, you can theorize all day long about gear ratios, converters, compression ratios, etc., or you can do what we did: Build an average, mild-performance 350, stab all three cams into it in succession, and run it on a dyno. Since you probably don't have the time or money to do that, we did it for you. And the best part is, you don't even have to get off the throne!

Conclusions

We ran all three cams on Westech Performance Group’s SuperFlow dyno with a Holley 650 carb, a Holley Street Dominator dual-plane manifold, a stock HEI ignition, and a set of Hooker 1¾-inch primary headers (see dyno chart, top right). The headers are larger than we would probably use for this engine on the street and likely gained us some top-end power at the expense of torque (we bought a set of 15/8-inch full-length headers from Summit (PNG9001) to use later). All three cams produced peak power with 12 degrees of initial timing (38 degrees total), and, interestingly, all three produced peak horsepower and torque at basically the same rpm points. As you might expect, the smallest cam produced good peak torque, the flattest torque curve, and the best idle vacuum. The middle cam produced 5 more horsepower at the peak with about the same torque curve and a little less vacuum—even so, we’d choose the smaller 214/224 cam over the 224/224 unit.

Although it generated the least idle vacuum, the biggest cam produced the best peak torque and horsepower of all three cams tested: 343.6 lb-ft of torque at 3,900 rpm and 304.3 hp at 5,100 rpm. That’s a 15hp gain over the smallest cam with only a small low-rpm torque loss, primarily under 3,500 rpm. As far as we’re concerned, the small loss in area under the torque curve would have a marginal effect on driveability and is more than offset by the hefty increase in power at the top end, especially since it produces peak power and torque in the exact same rpm range as the smaller cam. Also note that the 224/234 cam is identical to that used in our El Cheapo car, and we think it runs plenty good enough for daily driving. In this case, we’re not afraid to say that bigger really is better.

Here is what I built, 350 + .030 bore. 11 to 1 pistons (rated 11:1 with 64cc heads) I ran 76cc heads about 9.7 to 1 I thinkperformer intake 600cfm holley
carb. very mild bowl port job on heads. Stock 80 HEI inition. Cam Crane #113801 at .050 it is 222* int 234* exh lift .467 int .494 exh 114 lobe sep. Crane showes tourqe band 2200 to 5700 in cataloge. Engine even ran on 87 Octane gas. Exh was stock manifolds rest is stock TPI exh which is 3 inch single with 2 2.5 outlets on muffler, also no caylitic converter .
Engine went in a 83 Z28 Th-700 stock converter. 2.77 rear gear aus. built pontic rear end 245/60-15s .
It was never run at a track, but it did run 5500rpm in drive or 4000 in overdrive. damn valve in tranny would not let me hold it on the floor in OD.
I have done the math and it comes out about 167MPH as long as the tach was right!! I thought the factory glass hood was gonna come off!!!!
Ya I know it was off brand, but I kind of liked this one.
Jim

Im beginning to think that many of the aftermarket cam manafacturers are fairly conservative when recommending cams for fear of having disgruntled customers. Also there recommendations often dont seem to take in the application (like same for Aussie long rod engine as short rod Aussie 250). Ive been trying to work out the ideal cam (for drivability and performance for an Aussie 250) for some time now and after reading there numerous articles I am surprised to find that I may still be a bit to conservative.
If a 224/234 cam at 50 degrees only losses 10.9 ftps of torque and 6.1 HP at at 3000 rpm and gains this much at around 5000 rpm (actually near peak power comes in at 4700rpm for all 3 cams) (as their graph shows). This then "should" be a terrific cam for a 250 2V or Crossflow. I presume that the 350 Chev has a shorter stroke than a 250 which would normally make it more cam sensitive and mean that it would loose low end power (with a corresponding gain) than a 250 would.
From what Ive seen in a 302 this cam would behave very differently but in a 250 its probably perfect for all round drivability. I have a magazine with numerous big block build up comparisons some of them have near square bore dimensions very close to the 250 and regardless of there big cams the two of them that were nearest the square bore dimensions (one exactly) had a torque peak that came in at a low 3500 rpm. One of these stayed as flat as a tabletop all the way to a HP peak of 5500rpm. (with 114 LSA)

500 rpm and tons of HP. (with 114 LSA)

Tim, I reckon it's too large if it's either a mongrel for daily driving, or breaks stuff you can't afford on a regular basis. Otherwise, the associated costs will largely define the cam choice (if you can afford the cut-in stem seals, custom valves, whatever)...

A 262 at 50 deg Wade cam makes power at 5600 rpm peak minus 10 deg to bring to 252 deg. That should in turn bring the HP peak down to 5100 rpm in a injected 250 as in the example in Aussie sixes. 10 deg normally does equal about 500 rpm but of course in the above more extreme case its wrong.
All Im wanting to say is that its also wrong at the other end of the scale with more mild cams depends on many factors.
As for things breaking I was under the impression not much breaks on a 250 until well over 5000 rpm and it needs to peak well over that before drivability becomes a real issue (except maybe auto or EFI). Its fine by me if you disagree, I am speculating (not without basis)

I have been researching for a cam for my ls1 headed 300 ford. Two interesting facts soon became obvious. Number one is that solid or hydraulic roller cams are toooo expensive for a bum like me and I discovered that a "high rate of lift solid flat tappet" cam seems to be as effective as a hydraulic roller cam. They both have an rpm limit of 7000rpm and esentially the same lift of about .636" lift with 280 deg. duration at .020.I have found two manufacturers so far that sell them. The names are not very familiar to me; Lazer Cams and Cam Motion.The lobes are specific for the .875 dia. ford solid lifter, Chevys cant use these lobes due to their .841 dia lifter. Im sure that comp cams also grinds them. The price is reasonable at around $150 to $200. Finding a compatible spring may be a problem to get max rpm, (130# seat and 300# open).Reccommended break-in proceedure requires running at 3000rpm for 20 min and is manditory, a zinc oxide oil additive is also recommended to prevent lobe failure during break in.The above cam requires a 2400 rpm converter with no accessories and has 108 lobe centerlines and 104 intake lobe center. This is probably called a rough idle max street cam by most folks but my engine program predicts max torque at 5000rpm and max hp at 6250 with ls1 heads. You wont believe the hp figures so I wont quote them. These are custom grind cams so you need to know exactly what your engine parameters are to succesfully order one. I hope my rods and crank are up to this abuse,we will see. Does any one else have experience with these cam?

I ran a cam motion in a 73 351C. Pulled out a (I think) 282 isky cam and popped in a 290 cam motion off-the-shelf grind and picked up almost three tenths if I remember right and eliminated a flat spot around 5800 which I suspect now (20-20 hindsight) was valvetrain harmonics.
I ran the cam two years or so and was impressed then sold it.
Thumbs up for cam motion.....oh crap, I just thought...or was it a cam research cam?.....I think that was the 390 that got the cam research...
I'm getting a bad case of KRAFT! Kant Remember A F%^&^&# Thing!
As much as I can remember..I think it was a cam motion cam in the cleveland and it was good.
:unsure:

Since my last communications I found another clever option. It seems that big diameter lifters(flat tappet) allow more rapid acceleration on the cam lobe.I called Comp cams to ask about this theory. For $200 they will grind a custom cam for a chrysler lifter that is even larger than the ford at about .904 in.dia. It seems the the NASCAR guys are using these lobes on the circuit with chrysler flat tappet lifters to get more .050 valve lift. Im looking for a reamer to use in my mill to enlarge the lifter bores on my ford. I bought a mopar lifter for $5.00 and the oil groove is in the proper location compared to a ford lifter. Should be a simple conversion.

IH lifters are huge - maybe too big. They run mega seat pressures and the large base is the only way to avoid wear being excessive.

Back