Do I need a new distributor?

AAlexander

Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting here, and it's going to be a fairly long post, I think. I have a problem.
I have a fair amount of knowledge and experience about working on engines, but I need some input from folks
who have more of both.

My son has a '68 Falcon with a 200 and a 3-speed. It had been running rough and stalled out while idling
occasionally, also had become hard to start when cold. I thought the timing probably needed to be set, but
before I got around to picking up a timing gun it when downhill suddenly while he was driving it - missing badly
and running VERY rough, lost power and couldn't make it up hills - had to tow it home.

I've been working on it off and on over the past few months, when life has left me alone long enough to do so.
One of the first things I did was to rebuild the carburetor - I looked down it with a flashlight after listening to it run
and saw a puddle of gas, so I figured flooding was the problem. Did the hot water test on the float and it bubbled
like an aquarium aerator, so I found a replacement, tested it too and it passed. I still had flooding after the carb
was back on, but not as bad. The fuel pump (replaced about a year before) was giving me 8 psi, so I replaced it
and the new one did the same. Looking at the online specs given by the various auto parts chains, I could have
kept trying but probably wouldn't have found a pump in my price range that doesn't make too much pressure. So,
problem solved with a fuel pressure regulator. No more flooding, but the problem I set out to fix was no better. In
fact, it had worsened to the point that the car wouldn't even idle on its own without stalling and dying roughly,
More work and more disappointment followed. New points and condenser, gap set with a feeler gauge and
rechecked to make sure I hadn't narrowed it while tightening them down. I thought there was a little improvement
after that, but I might have been kidding myself. All vacuum hoses were replaced and routing verified in The
Manual (by the way, the Thermactor was already gone when my son got the car, if that matters at all - I'd be
surprised if it did). New distributor cap and rotor. New battery to engine and battery to starter relay cables, and
all of these connections were cleaned thoroughly and made tight (relay to starter cable had been replaced when
I had to replace the starter 3 or 4 years ago). Chassis to engine grounding strap insulation was cracked and
there was some corrosion, so it was replaced with heavier gauge wire, connections cleaned and made tight.
New ignition coil. New air filter, PCV valve and hose. Air intake housing duct and valve checked for proper
operation. New Autolite spark plugs gapped and installed. Plug wires were replaced about a year ago, but I
checked the resistance on each of them, as well as the coil wire and all were well within the 1000 ohms per
inch in length specified in the manual as acceptable; no change in readings occurred when I flexed the wires.
New timing chain and gears. While I was at it, I removed the oil pan to make sure there wasn't a broken
distributor drive gear tooth or two in there, and there wasn't. I really had high hopes for success from the new
timing set, but no luck. While replacing it, though, I discovered that the timing pointer had been bent at some
"point" in "time" (yeah, I know, that's bad), I found a salvaged one on e-bay to replace it - apparently, the
aftermarket hasn't made one for Ford's small straight six. I disconnected the exhaust system at the manifold
flange to make sure a collapsed muffler or other total or near-total exhaust occlusion wasn't the culprit.

It still cranked after the timing set was replaced, but wouldn't idle. It got to where it took some skillful gas
pedal work to even keep it running at all, and that would only work for 15 or 20 seconds before it died. At this
point, it won't start. When you crank it with a plug out and grounded to the block, it sparks a couple of times
every 3 or 4 seconds of cranking. The sparks are grouped together - seem to be on consecutive cycles to
me - then nothing for 3 or 4 seconds, then a couple more sparks, etc. I don't have an oscilloscope. Results for
the the voltmeter tests on page 9-10 of The Manual were good except for a slightly elevated reading of 0.35
volts on the ignition switch voltmeter test, and the 5.44 volt reading I got on the battery to coil voltmeter test
would seem to indicate that this may be A problem, but not THE problem. I did go ahead and check continuity
of the relay to switch wiring (disconnected the plug behind the fuse box and checked both parts separately, as
well as plugged in and together), no problem found. Checked the new coil, distributor terminal to high tension
lead terminal read about 8,000 ohms. I checked timing by finding TDC on number 1 and seeing where the rotor
and the mark on the harmonic balancer were, and that was at 12 degrees BTDC initially. Just for the heck of it, I
slowly retarded the timing by a couple of degrees at intervals, trying to start it after every adjustment (yes, I did
tighten the holding clamp each time) until it was firing noticeably less often, then went back to about the 12
degree mark and advanced it until the same happened in that direction - just to see if I could find a place where I
could at least get it to start. It never did, so I used that method to get it to where it sounded like it was firing most
frequently, and when I re-synchronized it all on number one, it was back at about 12 degrees BTDC. While doing
all of this, I noticed that there was a significant amount of play in the distributor shaft rotation. Placing a tape
measure 5/8 inch from the center of the rotor and moving the rotor back and forth shows over 1/8" of play.

Does all of this point to the distributor needing to be replaced? That, the camshaft and possibly the ignition
switch are all I can come up with at this point. If anyone has other suggestions, I'd love to hear them because
I've pretty much reached the limit of my knowledge. I'm used to this type of thing from new cars with computors
and a load of sensors, but not from a '68 model!

The type of play you describe (turning) movement of 1/8 inch of the rotor position is normal, the type of movement that would be bad is shaft side ways movement (in and out) which indicates a loose shaft bushing. To test that push the rotor straight towards the engine and pull back towards do you have any excessive movement (it shouldn't have very much play)? Did you replace the plugs or clean them good after all the gas flooding? Have you done a compression test yet? You might work some more on the wiring from ignistion switch cleaning and looking for broken section in the wires (internal) etc. as the voltages are a bit low unless your volt / ohm meter is not calibrated properly. Also check the wire lead going into distributor these can some times become brittle and can break internally due to old age and the heat in the engine compartment and yet externally look good. What your describing sounds mostly like electrical problems now so go over everything carefully again from the ignistion switch itself and wires going to the engine, plus all the grounds i.e. Battery to engine, to chassis / body. Good luck :nod:

On the off chance it could be valve train related, have you pulled the valve cover to see if anything is amiss? I'm thinking also on a 68 motor it could have adjustable rockers. Maybe an adjustment is in order in that case. Just thinking out loud. Hope you find the problem!

bubba22349 - Yeah, I changed the plugs after the flooding when things still weren't right - a new set can't hurt, unless you gap them wrong. I used a micrometer with an end probe on it and it reads 0.034" of in-and-out play on the distributor shaft. A compression test to check for a blown head gasket was among the next couple of things I was going to check until I noticed how little spark I'm getting now. I'll have to get a gauge to check it, and in the meantime I guess I'll keep looking at that 48-year old wiring that you can't help but wonder about in a situation like this. Since the switch is out of the reference range the manual gives, I'll probably go ahead and replace it, too.

Gene - haven't checked the valve train, yet, but changing the valve cover gasket was on my list of things to do anyway to get rid of an oil leak, so I'll go ahead and take a look at that, too.

Thanks for the input, fellas. And as for luck, I think I'm going to need some!

Sorry to hear this...I know about mystery problems! Everyone here is knowledgable, and will help greatly, but it's hard to diagnose online. Do you know someone who can lend a second set of eyes to the matter? For my almost worthless two cents, I would say that A--I'd be doubtful about the dist...most have play when you jiggle the rotor. B--When you talk about playing with the gas to keep it running, the same happened to me, and I had forgotten to hook up the PCV fitting to the intake manifold, leaving a vacuum leak.

You say you have a new coil. OEM coil was designed with resistor wire in circuit, to limit primary voltage to 9v max. New TFI type and other coils are designed for 12v min. primary. Resistance wire develops even more resistance over time.

adamscm - I know what you mean about those hoses being easy to overlook, basic stuff in general being easy to overlook. I've kicked myself many times for spending too much time, money and effort on a problem that turns out to be something simple - sometimes that I've even caused myself :oops: :banghead: . Unless it turns out to be an intake manifold vacuum leak, I think I have checked that out pretty well - but, as always, I reserve the right to be wrong. The reason I'm focused on the ignition and timing components, at this point, is that I recently noticed (since the car just hits intermittently but can't seem to pick up running on its own) that, with a plug pulled and grounded to the block, I'm only a couple of sparks for every 3 or 4 seconds of cranking the engine. They're close together and correspond with other cylinders firing and trying to start, but not quite making it. It's a pretty consistent cycle. But any and all observations and suggestions are welcome because, like I said, I'm just about at my limit of ideas.

hotroady - I wasn't aware that OEM coils were designed to limit the primary component to 9V. When I changed the coils out, the car was still running and it didn't seem to make a difference in how well it ran (same as everything else I have done so far), but I'm sure new coils turn out to be bad on occasion. Does anybody make the OEM-style coil?

Thanks, guys

AAlexander, if you have .034 of Side ways play on the distributor shaft then it's probably time to replace the distributor shaft bushings at least the upper one, or you could turn yours it in on a rebuilt distributor. That much play would cause the point dwell to change quite a bit. i.e. the point gap opening and cause your intermittent spark. If you wanted you could also swap it out for a better DuraSpark II distributor, this would give you a nice improvement in the ignition performance too. Good luck :nod:

Go the duraspark 11 route. One you do that you will never look back. Bill

Hi, I would try another condenser if I had those issues. Also inspect or just bypass or replace the wire from the points to the coil, and make sure the ground wire in the distributor is intact. We used to check for shaft wear, as has been mentioned, by using a tach and dwell meter on "dwell". If the shaft is worn the dwell will bounce all over the place, with a good shaft the dwell will hold steady. By the way the old saying is dwell affects timing, but timing does not affect dwell. Good luck.

hotroady - I wasn't aware that OEM coils were designed to limit the primary component to 9V. When I changed the coils out, the car was still running and it didn't seem to make a difference in how well it ran (same as everything else I have done so far), but I'm sure new coils turn out to be bad on occasion. Does anybody make the OEM-style coil?

Thanks, guys[/quote]
there is a resistor wire that connects with a bullet connector to ignition switch back. That's what limits volts to 9. It is bypassed to run full 12v. It also increases resistance with age, which further reduces voltage. Should be done when switching coil/dizzy, anyway.

Hi, the voltage is reduced to save the points from burning out. When cranking the coil gets 12 volts from the small post on the right side of the solenoid. "Breakerless" systems get 12 volts all the time. There are some newer points style coils that take 12 volts with no resister. I have one on my flathead and it is clearly marked on the coil. Anyway after changing the condenser make sure the coil wires are hooked up properly, + to battery and - to points. If you have a tach on your coil post get rid of it for now. You can always hot wire the car by jumping the battery to the + side of the coil. I would try another coil after you change the condenser. Good luck

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the info and suggestions. Things are on hold for now due to a sudden serious medical issue in the family, but things are looking better on that front and I expect to be able to get back to the Falcon within a week or two. I'm going to put all of what has been contributed so far to use until I get this thing figured out, and I'm going to keep checking back for any additional input. I'll keep you updated, even if it turns out to be a stupid mistake with something on my part. Thanks, again.

Alan Alexander

"…turns out to be a stupid mistake…"
no such thing.

Good luck w/the family health issue (#1 priority).
We can wait…

if needed: take each suggestion/point, write it down, look @ list, rearrange by sequence, go forward w/ implementation.
let us know wasss up!

Things have stabilized as much as they do around here. I picked up a rebuilt distributor, since that covered several of the suggestions given (condenser, distributor bushings, coil-to-distributor wire, etc.), put it in and she came back to life. Then I put in a new donut gasket to reduce an annoying exhaust leak ( I think the only way to get completely rid of that will be to go to headers, since the exhaust manifold flange area is pitted all along the gasket-mating surface from age/rust, and any replacement I can find will probably be just as bad). I don't know what the exact problem was, but she's running better than at any time previous to this since he's had her. It's a big load off of me, so I want to say thanks to bubba22349, Gene Fiore, adamscm, hotroady, wsa111, B RON CO, and chad - I hope I haven't left anyone who responded out, I'll have to recheck to make sure - I really appreciate the assistance!

AAlexander :beer: (y) congrats glad you got the 68 back running again. As for the exhaust manafold if you can find a automotive machine shop with a surfacer near your area a resurfacing will probally fix it. It there isn't one around you then a fresh gasket with some the high temp silicon will usally do the job of sealing it up just coat it and assemble then leave it set at least overnight to cure. Good luck :nod:

Congrats ! only "stinky & noisy" left. U may decide to live w/that. I certainly could (do).

The gasket/hi temp goop is another solution. If not - another removal & the "few thousands off" at the machine shop will do it for sure. It's just that there is a bit of work to get it off & Y not machine it @ the same time - is how many decide to correct. The bolts R breakable/tough to get out and replacing w/stainless studs/nuts makes the next go at them a lot easier. This should seal better than cheep headers, about the same as good headers. The switch to headers is done as a last step to others, for an approximate 5% increase to a lot of these other modifications.

Let me make sure we're on the same page with the exhaust issue - my leak is at the manifold/pipe junction, with the cusped surface for the donut gasket. I always thought of surfacing as being for flat areas - but I admit I'm no machinist, any more than I am a real mechanic. And I'm surprised high-temp silicone can be used on exhaust manifolds. What I've seen list 500-600 degrees as the max temp, and I had ruled that out as a solution since I figured manifold temps get 200-300 degrees hotter than that.

And weren't donut gaskets made from asbestos years ago? I know that's a dirty word these days, but they seemed to seal better when I was doing this type of stuff in my teens and early 20s (the 1980s).

Back