First engine build

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
So I want to jump into my first engine build, with a throw-away block, and I was hoping for some advice. I have:

C6 dual pattern 200 60 over
used 60 over pistons, unknown dish, late model cast rods
Good crank, 10 over
264/274-112* Hydraulic Dual Pattern Cam (http://classicinlines.com/proddetail.as ... 264-HDP-12)
302 springs, 260 retainers
C9 flat top log head
Dual 5200s on split log
DSII/GH HEI module with heatsink
either early adjustable 1.5 rockers, or 1.65 high lift adjuastables
Running pump gas

Basically I want to get my feet wet without ruining a block that has rebuilds left in it, and I know, depending, that a 60 over block may not have a lot of life in it and I'm too cheap for sonic testing (I assume, I don't know how much it costs, and can't be bothered to find anyone to do it). So on with my questions.

CAM vs Cast Rods
My cam is older, lightly used, and I recall a thread where some of the older clay smith/CI cams might have had clearance issues with cast rods, as they're larger. Is there any way to tell if my cam has the larger clearances to work with cast rods? I CAN use the smaller forged rods out of it or my 170, but then I'd need pins pressed out and rods swapped out...I'd rather avoid it, especially if something goes south in the engine and I bent a rod out of the set.

SCR vs DCR
I feel like I should be able to walk backward from the CAM/DCR to determine what my SCR should be, so I can decide how to work my decking/combustion chambers. However, all the online tools I've found seem to go the other direction. Does anyone know of a good site/process for that, or does it come down to I just need to determine SCR, then DCR, and if I don't like it, ise some of the rules of thumb to tweak DCR to make my SCR work? Is there a way to determine deck height without tossing in the bottom end and measuring?

Head/Rockers
Since it looks like my Cam with work fine with the added carberation of the dual 5200's, and add that I'd prefer not to up the valves, would the stock 1.5 rockers be fine, or would the 1.65's be needed?

I like it all. sounds like you got a good plan.

the .060 over is safe if not going boosted and going to the strip every day. the bigger bore helps torque.

the split log idea I really like, you can even make a metal plate to stick down the 1bbl carb hole separating the front from the rear making dual intake should be easier to tune also if you set up two o2 sensors... hopefully ur going headers. (y)

yeah, I was planning on dropping a plate and brazing it in place to make a good seal between log halves, since I'll be brazing the 2V adapters on the log anyway. I already have headers, cliffords I think, and at swap time I'll have my shop weld a bung on the second outlet. I'll be CCing the piston dish/head in a week or so, then mocking it up to check deck height for my CR calculations.

Still need the dual roller timing set too, and the 2V adapers as well, but it's not as important as getting the measurements so I can get things milled down.

Back