Forced Induction Project w/10:1

Inline6Merc

I have always wanted to do a forced induction 200. When I created my current motor I didn't have the time and money to complete a custom induction motor so I went with a high compression high rpm build. Now that I do have some time and some funds saved up I want to tackle the application of Forced Induction.

I have two options: M90 Supercharger or T04 Turbocharger (I have both of these in my garage)

My current and single biggest problem is the compression ratio I am currently running. I have 10.2:1 compression! Now I am looking to run 7-10psi of boost. I figure the easiest way to lower my compression is to use a thicker head gasket, to get it down in the 9.7:1 range. Along with that run an intercooler and water/alcohol injection to get by on premium pump gas. (This is my cruiser/ track car not a daily driver)

I am leaning towards the using the M90 because i dont have to replace my headers and I have a partially built mount for it already. I would have to pop in a different dizzy from the DUI because of clearance. I would also have to get a pulley machined but that can be done at a machine shop. What are your thoughts on this decision? Forget the supercharger and go with the turbo?

Here is a picture of my mock up on my old motor.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/In ... 19861e.jpg

I'm just looking for some guidance, thoughts, ideas, and comments.

Best of,
Curtis

... I'm on a similar path with two Hi Compression built six cars and current interest in adding forced induction. Other posts include 200/250 mock ups of similar and comparison setups with SC and TC. After my mock up of a M62 SC with a draw-thru 90 degree turbo-carb manifold, size and weight considerations are steering me to turbochargers.
.Very interested in a suitable Cruiser/Track only car, with big blower but for now am building a "Bolt-On" J-Pipe small turbo draw-thru to large runner 1bbl intake head for a daily-driver 200. I have three good running 200's and two cars to work with. I'm only looking to fractionally improve road performance - for now...

For the low boost 200 driver current project, other than suitable cam it retains stock block and as-built OEM low compression CR head chambers. as you mentioned, current composite gaskets will lower further to @ 7.5:1. I have a 90 degree carb plenum for draw-thru carb setup. Also with modern fuel supply remediation and electronic ignition control/retard -93 pump gas will be target (which my cars use now) . 200's spec/map lean towards fairly low RPM - quick boost - smaller turbo available with internal wG. Considering larger WRX/STI -TDO-x's for their water cooled rugged-simplcity in addressing turbo artifacts .

> I need info on WRX type TDO-x turbo suitability for draw-thru carb use and water cooling using WP heater hose ports?...

Also have a D6DE 250 block to build bottom up for a Holset55, GT45 T76 ... soon...

have fun

J-Pipe turbo, draw-thru carb Plenum . ...nice SC setups but BIG: . .

I'm no supercharger expert, but I feel like an M90 making 10psi on a 3.3l motor is going to be iffy. That's a pretty small blower and while it'd probably be workable in that configuration with a fuel injection, I'm not sure I'd chance it with a carb. Air intake temps will be high, and that's not something carbs are good at dealing with. You might be able to offset some of that by intercooling, but for the sake of simplicity, I'd probably hunt down a bigger blower. Although, maybe (don't know, not an expert!), you might be able to get somewhere with an aggressive porting.

The T04 would probably be better suited for the application, although even at 10psi you'd still want to intercool it. I'll bet with a T04, intercooler, and some form of water/meth injection you'd be fine at 10psi even with the high compression ratio as long as you have appropriate ignition timing. Probably end up with some pretty nice performance!

Alcohol/water injection , its what I plan on my 671 Blown 390 new combo has close to 10-1 ( yes I know its not a 6cyl LOL) but the new companies like Snow and AED ( there are others ) have really brought the Old water injection to a new level , Run pump gas 92-93 and get 110 octane ( or more ) performance , really works well on Blown and Turbo applications

You'll also need to swap cams as well. I wouldn't even consider using a turbo with anything over 8-1/2 compression. The blower may be your only saving grace for your still high compression compared to a turbo as the power adder.

Back