Help with selecting valve springs for 200 Mustang

Lt_Bongwater

Hi guys,

I`m new to the forum, so please don`t shoot me if I am not asking the right questions :) . I have done my research, but still have a dilemma, and I would need your help.

So here, it goes, the problem statement:

I am rebuilding the engine for my 1966, 200 CI Mustang Coupe. I am not doing anything fancy for the moment, apart from installing oversized flathead pistons (0.04`), changing the timing chain, 1.5 ratio adjustable rocker arm, pushrods, pumps, and installing a HEI ignition. I will be using the stock Head as well as the stock (rebuilt) Autolite 1V carb.

The dilemma that I have is related to selecting the best valve springs for my application. I am looking for normal/mild performance for the moment.

I have read the tech article below and still cannot figure out what to get:

http://www.classicinlines.com/springs.asp

Based on the article, the springs that I would need would be the SSI-289-SPG. I assume that these are the stock springs for the 289 V8, is that correct?

Can anybody help me with the specifications for these springs, or better point me to the right product? I was looking on the Comp Cams webstore, and could`t figure out the right products, the specs don`t seem to match with the chart in the tech article above. Is there any retailer that sells these springs that you would recommend?

Any recommendation or advice for my project is greatly appreciated! I live in Romania, and there is very little expertise around here on the 6 cylinder engines, let alone options for parts, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I believe that the SSI-302-SPG springs sold by Mike are exhaust springs from the SBF
used on both the intake and exhaust valves of our inline 6.

Howdy "My Way"

The 302 c.i. EXHAUST valve springs should suit your described engine just fine. Your choice of the 1.5 adjustable rocker arms should control lifter pump-up and take you to 5000 revs. Your rev limiting factor will be the 1 barrel carb. I have these spring on my 200 and use the two-barrel modification. This combo works fine.

You can get them from most parts stores. The NAPA part # is 212-10-59. Classic Inlines makes easy on stop shopping.

You can use your stock valve spring retainers with them.

Dennis

Thanks everybody for the replies!

My prefered option would also be to get everything from Classic Inlines, as it is very convenient, unfortunately they don`t carry the springs I am looking for, which are SSI-289-SPG. They recommend these however for stock to mild applications in the tech article.

The next natural option would be what you guys recommended, the SIV-302-SPG, which is this: http://www.classicinlines.com/proddetai ... IV-302-SPG . However, by reading the tech article and specs, I notices that these springs are recommended with a 264/274 camshaft, and I plan to use my stock camshaft for the moment (my aim is to first rebuild the engine to stock performance, and plan any upgrades subsequently). Should I be OK with the 302 springs combined with the stock camshaft?

@ Hot 6t Falcon - I have not considered a carb swap, as I know that the limiting factor is the log style intake manifold, and the efficiency gain would be marginal, unless I swap the whole head. Do you think I should consider this option? Should I choose to stay with the 1V carb for the moment, do you foresee any risks or damage (engine/valve train) if I go with the 302 springs and stock camshaft?

Thanks!

Howdy Lt. Bongwater:

First, Welcome to the FORUM. Yes, it is that good. Do I understand that you will be using the stock cam? If so, you don't really need to change your valve springs, assuming that the stock springs are in good shape. Just have them shimmed up .030" on install and go. With a stock carb and adjustable rocker arms shimmed stock springs work fine.

Do I also understand that you will be using a DUI distributor with a stock Autolite 1100 with a Spark Control Valve? that will create a mismatch in vacuum advance control. Did you already think of this problem?

Also, while the head is off and being reconditioned, consider asking for a three angle valve seat and a back cut of 30 degrees on the intake valves for a little more flow.

Again, Welcome and good luck on your project. Keep us posted.

Adios, David

Hi David, thanks for the reply and the tips! I find the forum quite amazing indeed!

For some reasons, my previous answer got published after you posted. To your points:

Yes, I am planning on using a stock cam, with 1.5 adjustable rocker arm and I was planning on using the 1100 Autolite carb until I saw your note. I honestly missed that (I do have the book! :)). I need to check wether it has the Spark Control Valve, but I`m almost certain it does.. Under these circumstances I have a dilemma, I already purchased the DUI from Classic Inlines, as it seemed almost a must, but I didn`t consider swapping the carb. So at this point I have 3 options, and I would appreciate any advice!

1. Use the 1100 and modify it by plugging the port. I am not sure how complicated this is, I need to talk to my mechanic, however at this (initial) stage, I am reluctant in trying anything fancy, due to the fact that there is no expertise in the whole country on this engine, and I`d rather take a cautious approach.

2. Get a 1 V replacement carb, like the one below, which seems easy to install and does not require machining of the manifold. It`s not the original though :(

http://www.classicinlines.com/proddetai ... D200%2DURC

3. Get a 2V Weber, with the future outlook in mind, as I might consider installing the alum head in a couple of years and this would seem the right choice. Again, I would end up with with either having to machine the manifold or get an adaptor for it.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Cristian

P.S.: Any thoughts where I could get the SSI-289-SPG valve springs? My stock springs look good, but I`d replace them if I could with new ones, just for the sake of it, if I`m anyways messing with the whole valve train.

For a stock camshaft only the 302 exhaust springs are fine. However if you at some point upgrade camshafts do not use the stock type springs.
Get a valve spring with a damper or dual spring combination to match your camshaft.
If by some chance you have a SCV carb it can be modified to eliminate the venturi signal & then use ported vacuum or manifold vacuum.
There is a great post on this forum on converting a SCV carb to ported vacuum.
http://63fordfalcon.com/articles/autoli ... matic.html

Howdy Back Cristian:

I'd sure give your #1 a strong try, especially with link on how-to that Bill posted. It's sure worth a try, since that's what you have and linkage, fuel lines, air cleaner would not have to be adapted.

Also a 2V Weber will require and adapter which will create hood clearance issues as well as linkage fuel line and air cleaner adaptation.

Another option to consider is an Autolite 1101 from a 1969 Mustang with a 250 engine. It will have the same external appearance as the 1100 but no SCV. It will also flow 215 cfm as opposed to 185 cfm with your current carb for a little more power. These carbs are somewhat scarce. It will require that you taper the carb inlet hole to accommodate a larger throttle bore. Not a big deal considering.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

Hi guys,

I checked the carb, and I had a bit of a surprise, I don`t think it`s an 1100, it might be a Holey 1940. It does not have a SCV. Can you help me identify it? I`m inserting some pictures I took today. Do you foresee any issue with this carb and the DUI system?

Thanks in advance!

That's a 1940. I have one running with a HEI distributor without any problems. I can't say for sure that it isn't a problem with a DUI as I'm not sure what the difference is between my distributor and the DUI, other than about $250.

I did buy a rebuild kit from Mike's Carburators (www.carburetor-parts.com/) and I was pretty happy with it. Was a fairly easy rebuild. I also found the best way to clean the parts up was with a reasonably cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from HarborFreight. I just used a mixture of vinegar and water. I had tried usin a can of dip but found I had to use the sonic cleaner afterwords anyway. Go with the vinegar and you can just dump the stuff down the drain afterwords. The dip is a pain to get rid of.

Your engine would also benefit from getting the DUI recurved for your combination.
Any questions on my advice feel free to PM me or send me an email. Bill

Thanks guys for the replies!

@ cr-bobcat - I also have the HEI ignition, will keep you posted on my progress

@ Bill - will definitely reach out to you!

Back