All Small Six Holley 1100 sniper on a 68 200, 78 250 head ?

This relates to all small sixes

63Ccode

Hi, back from a X patriot gig in Nigeria and am putting together a 68 200 with a 78 250 head. The engine is built 30 over, balanced, 270 cam polished ports and a Pertronics Elec. ign. The engine was built by a higher end builder with the goal to keep the appearance as close to stock as possible... this means looking totally stock almoust. Does anybody have an opinion on the 1100 holly sniper kit ? Sez it uses the stock linkage and air cleaner. I am too old to want to keep putzing around with the autolite 1100 issues. I am open to options just not a lot of deviation from what I already have. Please be gentle with your comments as I am new to this forum stuff.

Thanks,

If you have 78 200-250 head I would not think that you would have an Autolite 1100 unless it was adapted to fit the larger intake bore and wider carb stud spacing of the large log head. Stock air cleaners can be modified to fit larger carbs. with elec. chokes that intefere with the air cleaner. I used to run a stock 65 air cleaner on an elec. choke Carter YFA carb with a cable throttle. The cheap China made Carter YFA ran great.

The engine was built by a higher end builder with the goal to keep the appearance as close to stock as possible... this means looking totally stock almost.
So, was keeping the engine stock looking only the builder's goal, or was it yours as well? I also like a stock appearance where possible, or at least keeping mods looking like they were done "back in the day". Though mostly hidden under the air cleaner, a sniper won't look very stock. And as mentioned above, the 1100 carb wasn't really meant for the inlet on your '78 head. Maybe consider an 1101 carburetor, which looks very much like the 1100, and is made for the bigger carb inlet on the large log head.

So, was keeping the engine stock looking only the builder's goal, or was it yours as well? I also like a stock appearance where possible, or at least keeping mods looking like they were done "back in the day". Though mostly hidden under the air cleaner, a sniper won't look very stock. And as mentioned above, the 1100 carb wasn't really meant for the inlet on your '78 head. Maybe consider an 1101 carburetor, which looks very much like the 1100, and is made for the bigger carb inlet on the large log head.

It is my goal... I have only just got the car ready (almost) for the engine. This is your typical 5 year build and the motor was a doner from a 86 mustang. The guy who built the motor used a similar set-up in a flat track car and had an extra 250 head from a 78 something. Said it did real good with a 2bbl weber. I have beat the bushes pretty good looking for an 1101...to the point of refusing 7 of them as remans from the auto parts store. I can live with the holly sniper looking a bit off for a better running functioning fuel delivery method just looking for some feedback on do they really work ! Let me hear your thoughts...

It is my goal... I have only just got the car ready (almost) for the engine. This is your typical 5 year build and the motor was a doner from a 86 mustang. The guy who built the motor used a similar set-up in a flat track car and had an extra 250 head from a 78 something. Said it did real good with a 2bbl weber. I have beat the bushes pretty good looking for an 1101...to the point of refusing 7 of them as remans from the auto parts store. I can live with the holly sniper looking a bit off for a better running functioning fuel delivery method just looking for some feedback on do they really work ! Let me hear your thoughts...
I have seen several 1101 carbs come and go on eBay that were mis-identified as 1100s. They went relatively cheap then too. If you can be patient you might score.

I have seen several 1101 carbs come and go on eBay that were mis-identified as 1100s. They went relatively cheap then too. If you can be patient you might score.
Interesting wish I had been monitoring that situation wouldn't mind having a relatively cheap 1101 for my collection. Or two.

Interesting wish I had been monitoring that situation wouldn't mind having a relatively cheap 1101 for my collection. Or two.
Yea, most of the stuff on eBay now isn't the seller's own stuff. It's someone else's stuff they bought at a sale of some sort, and the new seller sometimes doesn't know what they have. Unfortunately, most of the 1101s you see are the older ones with a SCV. I got lucky and found one from a '69 250 Mustang without the SCV. But it doesn't really matter if you use intake manifold vacuum for your distributor.

Depending on your goals for your car and since you have the better Big Log Head to use you might also look into using the Holley 2300 Sniper. A couple of our sight members are using them with good results, and one did a great write up of his install on his Mustang Convertible. Best of luck

Depending on your goals for your car and since you have the better Big Log Head to use you might also look into using the Holley 2300 Sniper. A couple of our sight members are using them with good results, and one did a great write up of his install on his Mustang Convertible. Best of luck
Hey Bubba, tell me more about the snipes 2300. I am in need of some good direction and thought the 1100 sniper would be a possibility,,,would I have to do the milled mod. on the top of the log ? can you pass on the write up info. Thanks

Food for thought, a Carter carb is supposed to flow even better than the 1101 ?
The Sniper FI should outflow what the engine needs, but the thought of running the smaller 1100 throttle body makes me feel like I'd be leaving some performance on the table..
DannyG

Hey Bubba, tell me more about the snipes 2300. I am in need of some good direction and thought the 1100 sniper would be a possibility,,,would I have to do the milled mod. on the top of the log ? can you pass on the write up info. Thanks
Hi 63Ccode. sure here you go the site members name is Wayne Clark and the install is on a 1967 Mustang Convertible with the 200 six. Below is one of his post describing the newer ignition parts he is using. The bottom post has some good pictures of the install. Currently he was working at installing a better V. I. Aluminum Head on his 200 six. Best of luck

{Wayne Clark said} "I' am in the process of upgrading to Holley Sniper 2300 EFI on my 67 very with a 200 6. Have about finished everything but not quite because of rain and I have no shop so its work when it's not raining. Have upgraded the ignition to DuraSpark2 and MSD 6AL and new timing chain that was found when I replaced the points. Anyway has any one put one of these on a 200 yet and if so what issues did you encounter? I purchased a complete kit so most every thing came with it so it's been pretty much follow instructions but still have to get the new fuel pump on and hopefully it runs. Thanks for any info . Hope everyone comes out of these crazy times safe."

Another Post showing the 2300 Sniper install on a stock 200 with a small Log Head and just using an 2V to 1V Carb Adapter.

There's one on there now. Identified as a 1963-67 1100, but it's a later 1101 with no SCV. But not cheap, too much money for a used carb of unknown extracture. Looks okay though, still has the vent rod.

Hi 63Ccode. sure here you go the site members name is Wayne Clark and the install is on a 1967 Mustang Convertible with the 200 six. Below is one of his post describing the newer ignition parts he is using. The bottom post has some good pictures of the install. Currently he was working at installing a better V. I. Aluminum Head on his 200 six. Best of luck

{Wayne Clark said} "I' am in the process of upgrading to Holley Sniper 2300 EFI on my 67 very with a 200 6. Have about finished everything but not quite because of rain and I have no shop so its work when it's not raining. Have upgraded the ignition to DuraSpark2 and MSD 6AL and new timing chain that was found when I replaced the points. Anyway has any one put one of these on a 200 yet and if so what issues did you encounter? I purchased a complete kit so most every thing came with it so it's been pretty much follow instructions but still have to get the new fuel pump on and hopefully it runs. Thanks for any info . Hope everyone comes out of these crazy times safe."

Another Post showing the 2300 Sniper install on a stock 200 with a small Log Head and just using an 2V to 1V Carb Adapter.
Classic inlines says: "We gained a maximum of 5 RWHP when we used an adaptor, and 24 RWHP when the carb was mounted directly to the log intake, or a gain of 6% verses 24% respectively. That's a huge difference considering we used exactly the same carb. "

One problem with the "direct mount" 2V milled head conversion is finding a D7 flat top large log head that may not need to be brazed.
Brazing or welding a cast iron head can ruin it. It may crack when it cools if not done properly in a furnace.
I think an easier less costly option is to enlarge the throttle bore on either the small or large log head then enlarge a 2V adapter bore to match it.

There's one on there now. Identified as a 1963-67 1100, but it's a later 1101 with no SCV. But not cheap, too much money for a used carb of unknown extracture. Looks okay though, still has the vent rod.
Hey thanks I do appreciate the tip, you have a keen eye , I probably would not have noticed it. I will take a look at it just for fun and maybe a good deal will show up soon.

You could install a cable throttle for new China made Carter YF or an Elec. choke Carter YFA.
Modify the original air cleaner like I once did for a Carter YFA.
The original air cleaner looked good and the China Carter elec. choke YFA ran great.

Thank you all in advance for your input, I feel even more lost though. The Falcon national convention is just around the corner and there will be alot more to see what actually works. Changing the subject, can anyone recommend good bumper source? Looks like $800 - $1200 for show quality and half that for something I probably don't want to put on my car. thanks all

Thank you all in advance for your input, I feel even more lost though. The Falcon national convention is just around the corner and there will be alot more to see what actually works. Changing the subject, can anyone recommend good bumper source? Looks like $800 - $1200 for show quality and half that for something I probably don't want to put on my car. thanks all
I paid around $700.00 last summer for a set of ACP 62-63 bumpers.
They look great. People really notice new bumpers on an old car.
New bumpers and older paint makes the vehicle look like a garaged survivor car.
I have received a lot of comments like: That old car is in really good shape.
People can be blinded by shiny chrome.
Women car lovers in SUV's now wave at what they think is an old Falcon with original shiny chrome bumpers.

Back