All Small Six Hydraulic Lifters on Solid Cam?

This relates to all small sixes
Right now I've just got a '73 large log, but I'm considering trying to fabricate a new head out of a couple of Boss 302 heads.
Why would you cut up cast iron Boss 302/Cleveland heads to make a 6 cyl when an alloy head with the same canted valve design already exists? Here's pictures of a Boss 302 head and an Australia 4.1L Crossflow head. See the similarities?

Attachments

• Boss 302 Heads.jpg
    Boss 302 Heads.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.1 crossflow top.jpg
    4.1 crossflow top.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.1 crossflow bottom.jpg
    4.1 crossflow bottom.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 5
Why would you cut up cast iron Boss 302/Cleveland heads to make a 6 cyl when an alloy head with the same canted valve design already exists? Here's pictures of a Boss 302 head and an Australia 4.1L Crossflow head. See the similarities?
I can't find one of those, nor could I afford it.

If you can't afford a basic cam/lifter combo, you definitely aren't going to be able to afford and follow through with a hybrid cylinder head build and all the fabrication involved with that. Many people assume that creating a hybrid head is going to transform their 6 cylinder into a beast, and unless its a high winding race style engine, its still going to be a 6 cylinder that isn't going to have very good street manners. The Oz crossflow head is going to be your best bet in a small 6 platform to go to the next level with a much better cylinder head than the log style heads. As for the 302 valve springs, that is 50 year old backyard tech(if that tells you how outdated what you are reading is), and we have progressed much farther than that today. As pmuller stated, the installed height and spring rate are much more critical data to select the correct valve springs for your application. Just save your money and don't rush anything so you can only spend once and enjoy for a long time.

Attempting that will just waste a couple of heads, if you're thinking of creating a crossflow head find some from an engine with close to the same bore centers or better yet see if you can source an Aussie head, that will be way cheaper when you factor in what you will pay for a set of Boss 302 heads, if you already have a set sell them and use the money to buy a head for your 250. Besides B302 heads were already overkill for all but the most extreme SBF builds.As far as running any used lifters hydraulic or solid on another cam is an extremely risky proposition that while some have gotten away with it over the years, the odds are not in your favor and can wipe out your cam, now running new lifters on a used cam in good condition is totally doable provided you use new cam break in procedures but that is just the opposite of what you are proposing.

I've got a friend who is a welder and works at a metal shop. If it's okay with his boss, he might can use the equipment to chop of the log and weld a flange on the head so that I could then weld a new intake manifold. Would it be worth it?

Wont fit the 240-300 six, bore spacing is much bigger than head.

I've got a friend who is a welder and works at a metal shop. If it's okay with his boss, he might can use the equipment to chop of the log and weld a flange on the head so that I could then weld a new intake manifold. Would it be worth it?
The closest way to do what you’re talking about is to copy the Aussie 2V Head Intake Flange onto your proposed cut off Log Head’s then you could use one of the many available Aussie 2V Bolt on Intake Manifolds that Aussie Speed Makes.

For a Weld On Intake check out site member “jaan-e” New Tri Weber Build. This is one of the nicest cut off Log Head setups, you would need a lot of engine to go with it. https://fordsix.com/threads/new-tri-weber-engine-build.81672/

I can't find one of those, nor could I afford it.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking for that crossflow head.
You may be surprised. I am sure the Aussi head will be more reliable than a welded V8 head.

Here is one I sold several years ago in the USA on ebay, complete with valve cover, valve train, and intake. It only brought a few hundred bucks. Pity

A US built 250 block can be modified to accept it.

Attachments

• aussie06_6.jpg
    aussie06_6.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 4
  • aussie05_5.jpg
    aussie05_5.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 4
  • aussie04_4.jpg
    aussie04_4.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 4
  • aussie03_3.jpg
    aussie03_3.jpg