I have holes in my head! Is this correct?

lorwood

So today while tackling a voltage problem I noticed something I never noticed before
url]
url]

It seems that there are two holes that apparently were drilled right through my cylinder head! The one pictured is towards the front the second towards the rear. Is this factory? I do not think it is.I suspect this was someones idea of getting the head to breath better, but let me give a little background.
I am technically the second owner of the car. I purchased it from a person who had ownership for only a month or so. Prior to that it was with the original owner. I have very little history of the car however I do know that I got the car with a 68 block and 61 head in it, pretty crappy correct? There were some notes that indicated that both the block and head were replaced by rebuilt parts shortly before I took possession. Well after I took ownership I dropped in an electronic ignition, got rid of an aftermarket air conditioning unit, re-did a very funky transmission cooler set up dropped in a correct radiator and tranny cooling lines, pulled out the entire charging system and reinstalled all new, tuned the carb and advanced the timing. Well the results were that I have no problem getting up to 75-80 mph very quickly! At 80 mph there is still more left in the engine but I am not really crazy about going much faster in 45 year old technology! After I got to this point I stopped with the knowledge that I wanted to do more with the engine but first I wanted to take care of some safety items, brakes,suspension etc.
Well know I am at the point where I am ready to turn my attention back to the engine. I currently have a D7 head rebuilt by CI with a 2V conversion a better electronic ignition with the correct vacuum advanced and the money saved to purchase a Weber 32/36. But before I go ahead my question is, Will I do much better with these mods than the car already does? I have no idea what was done during the last rebuild but like I said previously she goes pretty good. What do you guys think? And what do you make of the holes in my head?

yup yup, you got a hole in your head there...

when the engine is running is there vacuum at it or is it pushing air away? if there isn't anything I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe you can run a dummy wire to it and call it An Air Velocity Atomizer!! :eek:

I have a couple ideas, but these are just guesses. Some people didn't like the way oil and water (leaking valve cover) would sometimes collect and drilled a hole so it would drain out. You can't do it everywhere because of the exhaust ports. But my best guess is the old tripower set up for the early round log used U bolts to clamp the adapter down. Maybe it was started and never finished. I'm sure the holes are just through webbing where there are no intake or exhaust ports, otherwise it would run like crap. I think the late model head is worth the gain but compression has to be kept up as the chambers are larger than the earlier heads. Just depends if its worth it to you.

Both of my holes came from Detroit 50 years ago… what are they for….. don’t know…
confused-smiley-013.gif

holeinexhaustmanifold.jpg

I tell my friends they are airfoil pressure release holes. They allow for improved HP.
You are ok…I am ok and your head is ok…. :mrgreen:

Frankenstang":2ec33hkj said:
I've got five holes in my head (that I know of), and they all leak at one time or another...currenty allergies!

uhhhhhh..5 ya say.. what in the world did ya do wid da udder 2.... :eek:

here have a couple :beer: while ya b looking fer da udder 2.. :p

echo1955":1gi4a0qf said:
Both of my holes came from Detroit 50 years ago… what are they for….. don’t know…
confused-smiley-013.gif

holeinexhaustmanifold.jpg

I tell my friends they are airfoil pressure release holes. They allow for improved HP.
You are ok…I am ok and your head is ok…. :mrgreen:

Yeah tose are them! Same exact spot. Very curious.

Frankenstang":2n9kxmtc said:
Edit: Either for use with these 'head holding fixtures' :unsure: :
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=8-028
and/or engine lifting hook
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=8-038
or chaining your mechanic to his work :eek:

I've got five holes in my head (that I know of), and they all leak at one time or another...currenty allergies!
I am going to have to say no as the holes in my head are on the opposite side of the head. They are adjecent to and up a little higher then the head bolts.

Back