All Small Six Ignition

This relates to all small sixes

deanospony

Supporter 2023
I’m using a DUI with a Weber 32/36 and am thinking of switching to an 18 volt system. Other than the cost, is there any reason why I shouldn’t do this?

'that's a new mod' for me:

... is there a need for the DUI mod to 18V ignition and how would it be accomplished with typical 12V car batt system?, how much would it cost. ?

(18 V should make it 1/3 faster ? - 6 X 2 =12, 6 X 3 = 18 ? )

hav fun

sure forum folks posting get the point, for others:

AC current can simply / cheaply be converted to less or more Voltage . 12V to 18V or 3V is a simple matter. The Spark Plug coil obvious example converting 12V or less to a couple of thousand volts - thousands of times / sec with interrupted DC.

DC current Voltage conversion is not so simple and less practical in past. To make AC out of DC for voltage step-up, originally -" Vibrator" devices simply opened and closed a set of contact points to make AC and then could be raised. With modern switching circuits, DC voltage conversion is simpler and incorporated into device if needed. Virtually all analog and digital electronics operate on DC internally.

hav e fun

the '50' Cvy analog tube radio has a smooth syrupy quality with music made for tubes. Occasionally at low idle , the 6V system inductive loss would 'freeze the vibrator' , meaning contact points would arc and weld together. Opening the vibrator can and using points' file could fix the radio ...
(now
has replacement electronic device inside original vibrator can not susceptible to voltage drop - so far)

I’m using a DUI with a Weber 32/36 and am thinking of switching to an 18 volt system. Other than the cost, is there any reason why I shouldn’t do this?
The DUI module limits the current flow to the ignition coil to 8 amps whether the supply voltage is 12 volts or 18 volts so there is no advantage as far as spark energy.
18 volts may be near the limit of the modules operating voltage causing the module to fail.
In short you should not run the DUI at 18 volts.

If you want a much hotter spark, you can add an MSD 6A to the DUI

sure forum folks posting get the point, for others:

AC current can simply / cheaply be converted to less or more Voltage . 12V to 18V or 3V is a simple matter. The Spark Plug coil obvious example converting 12V or less to a couple of thousand volts - thousands of times / sec with interrupted DC.

DC current Voltage conversion is not so simple and less practical in past. To make AC out of DC for voltage step-up, originally -" Vibrator" devices simply opened and closed a set of contact points to make AC and then could be raised. With modern switching circuits, DC voltage conversion is simpler and incorporated into device if needed. Virtually all analog and digital electronics operate on DC internally.

hav e fun

the '50' Cvy analog tube radio has a smooth syrupy quality with music made for tubes. Occasionally at low idle , the 6V system inductive loss would 'freeze the vibrator' , meaning contact points would arc and weld together. Opening the vibrator can and using points' file could fix the radio ...
(now
has replacement electronic device inside original vibrator can not susceptible to voltage drop - so far)

Never knew any of this and I've been messing with oldies for almost 40 years. I love coming here and learning stuff like this. I'll probably never get to use the information but it's cool as hell to know!

I think y'all are getting trolled. I would get a "real" ignition system . Honestly ignition timing control would offer more gains. Crank trigger and programmable box.

often on any 'car forum' one asks the Q w/an answr already embeded in the Q.
Stating the sought for outcome'n asking how to get there can B a shorter (less pages)
method to a better answr. Not sure that's the case here.

It's not the voltage in, it's the voltage out, mine has an Amazon HEI dist, ridiculous spark, runs great, quick starting....

Depending on your engine build neither the DUI or the HEI have the proper distributor curve.
The new DUI will starve the distributor shaft of oil & may seize.
The HEI has an over oiling condition.
I can fix both engineering ignorance.
The DS11 distributor is superior to any of the above. It has no oiling problems & can be recurved for what your engine needs.
Contact me @ billythedistributorman@live.com Bill wsa111

I went performance w/DSII all the way. Affordable, easy, era correct...
As above I'd use the hybred (w/'GM 4 pin' in place of the 'brain') next time
(small, easier to source in times of failure than the ford module). 40,000 v
coil seems enuff, dizzy cap that fits tight space, no ballast resistor or extras...

Back