interesting turn of events.

that would be cool....

an update...

I ordered a 200 distributor gear over the weekend and picked it up today. test fit is PERFECT (will need pressed/tapped up on the shaft like stock)

parts list so far....

1. 2.3L EEC4/TFI distributor
2. V6 distributor cap (I looked for a large cap but it was never offered on any six with TFI and a duraspark cap won't fit a cap adaptor for a large V8 cap)
3. V6/I6 guts. all you need is the reluctor wheel from it. simple pull as it is just a pair of 3-4mm screws holiding it in. real fast and easy with a 1/4" drive socket set
4. for a rotor the 4cyl and 6 cyl use the same one (you should have one from teh 2.3L and one you get from teh 6cyl motor when you grab its reluctor wheel)

the shaft is a little longer ont eh 2.3L dizzy BUT will fit in the 200 without messing with it (will not interfer with oil pump) I need to pick up a reluctor still but that is it. I am going to be at my car next weekend and once the fuel system gets buttoned up I am gonna try out the dizzy.

now it will be locked timing BUT you can get a MSD timing computer or similar for it. also this will allow a 3.8L CFI seutp to be bolted on a 200 with an adaptor (this is stage two of this project) if the weather holds here I MIGHT see if I can scare up the needed CFI parts on saturday at the junkyard so I can have it ready to go (car is being fitted with an EFI tank right now) so if all goes wheel I COULD have a running CFI 200 next weekend.

your going to have to do a full write up on what you did!

sounds like an interesting project for sure.
How hard to find are the 2.3L TFI dizzies? could you pick one up at your local autopartsmarzone?

they are super common!!

any mustang with a 2.3L OHC motor from 1983 until 1990 has one and about the same on ranger pickup trucks. pretty much if it has a 2.3L OHC and a distributor and is NOT a pinto it will have one (granted you could also mod a pinto duraspark with more work to work on a 200)

well the dizzy is built!! picked up my reluctor today. need to grab another and build the second dizzy I have using some misc parts (used gear, cap and rotor)

the gear is just installed until it stops and then backed off a hair for clearance (used a hammer and sleeve to tap it on there) then you just drill the hole and it is done.

I also havve a dummy shaft (came on DIS rangers) for running a crank trigger setup and coil packs.

turbo_fairlane_200":cmg1xfn5 said:
I also have a dummy shaft (came on DIS rangers) for running a crank trigger setup and coil packs.

Actually, that is a cam position sensor, and its only function is to provide firing order for the sequential fuel injection.

I'm finally getting organized, you still want all the 3.8 CFI stuff? I wouldn't try using the CFI TB, too much corrrosion. The 4.6 liter TB is good, though.

yeah pm me about it...

on the ranger it wasn't a position sensor (no plug ins..) it is just a stub of a housing with a shaft and seal on it. there is a small rubber cap you place over the top of it.

turbo_fairlane_200":313eyqvr said:
on the ranger it wasn't a position sensor (no plug ins..)

That's right, I was thinking of the shaft that drops in place of a distributor on the "coil-packed" 5.0 liter engines

when I poped the gear off the dummy shaft the seal and all fell out...so might have to look into seeing if I can get a new one or soemthing while I have it apart....oh and polish it up on the buffer :D

other than drilling a hole a little slanty the mod went pretty easy (no drilled press) these are super simple to put together and I MIGHT be testing it out saturday/sunday this weekend if I can get the motor all plumbed out and the turbo back on which seems reasonable.

ALL parts are off teh shelf ford bits. basicly grab a 2.3L dizzy at the JY and toss a cap/rotor/reluctor off ANY 6cyl ford TFI dizzy on/in it and walk out the door. after that you just need a gear for the bottom. I think I have only $60 in the first one I built (new gear-$28 and cap-$25 on it) but if you use your old gear and a used cap/rotor then you could do it pretty cheap.

if I don't run it this weekend I will do a FULL mockup on my new shortblock (cam, pump, dizzy) for everyone. I might do it before the weekend since I want ot check the gear meshing between cam and shaft.

on another wild idea I might look into an OHC oil pump and if it fits the 200 block or if they guts can be transfered....looking for a higher flow pump

it was mentioned before, but Melling makes a high volume pump for the 200, I got one when I worked for a melling machine shop direct out of thier catalog (whoo hoo, employee discounts)

I could ever find the part number again though.

I thought there was a problem with oil pooling in the head at higher RPMs already? A high volume oil pump will just exacerbate the issue. You don't want to starve the mains.

Of course, I could just be talking out of my butt. I read so many forums I get them mixed up sometimes.

wallaka":2narsd9n said:
I thought there was a problem with oil pooling in the head at higher RPMs already? A high volume oil pump will just exacerbate the issue. You don't want to starve the mains.

Maybe if you were oiling through the pushrods. I don't think you could force "too much oil" through the crappy 200 shaft mounted rocker system if you tried!

well an update:

IT RUNS!!!

had a buddy come over today and we played with it (went ot the store for a new module) and got it running! it is just locked timing right now. gonna hit the junkyard next weekend for a EEC mount bracket and work on getting the ECU and MSD box mounted under the dash. we are going to wire up the CFI ecu to control timing and hook up the MSD boost retard to handle that aspect of it.

sadly though there is bad news....looks like I killed my T5 flat towing the car. no third gear and fourth is spotty looking too. well I have a pile of cores so looks like I am rebuilding a couple T5's this summer (I also have a line on a cheap T4 four speed I might be able to use)

can you give a complete parts list for each part that is needed, and most common make/model/engine/year for each part? I am very interested in all of this. Are you planning on hooking this up to to an ECU? if so which one do you plan on using? Are you going to try to create a fuel injection system with this?

I used a 2.3L distributor. any 2.3L mustang (83-90) or ranger (83-89) will work. you put your 200 gear on it (set it up with .050" clearance and drill the new hole) up top put in a reluctor off ANY EEC v6 ford car. I do know the SEFI cars use a different reluctor wheel (they have one tooth that is thinner) and use the cap off the same car. ALL 6cyl caps are the same and they use the same rotor as a 4cyl car.

Back