It runs!! but.... not in gear

Ronbo

That's what I told the clerk that I wanted a dizzy from a 68 Mustang 200 with dual advance and this is the dizzy that I got. Now I'm back right where I started two months ago on what is the correct dizzy to buy. I don't know what to do now. I can't even get the right year dizzy i requested at my local parts store! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ok, here I am again. The dizzy I ordered has the following casting #, I had a hard time reading it, plus Duraspark came out in 74 so that counts out the 76 dizzy:

D3CF 12127 4F20

Anyways, after all this mess they couldn't order a dual advance w/single vacuum. So I decided to go back home and look at the dizzy and see whats hanging up the Pertronix unit. I grinded down the stud that holds vac adv arm down and the unit seated alittle better, just enough so it doesn't rub the green tape. I popped the dizzy back in, hooked the battery up and started the car. After a couple of tires I got it idling fairly well by feel for the moment. Then I said "what the heck let me put her in drive" and what do you know it kept idling and didn't die! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

but.. the car would shift in gear and then back out. And it does this constantly, but if I give it enough gas it can stay in gear until i put my foot off the gas pedal. If I go up a hill, the engine will eventually die in gear if I don't give it some more gas. I've got some tweaking to do. I found this little gadget at Sears that tells you low and high RPMs, dwell, and voltage.

00921029000-dlv.jpg

I think the madness is over for now. I drove around my neighborhood and had the neighbors looking at me. To tell you the truth, it really wasn't that bad driving with just headers on. I'm thinking maybe glasspacks or a straight-through muffler.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their knowledge on helping me out. Now I'm going to get a drink and relax for a change and not think about my car.... hrmm...I do want the SSBC front disc brake conversion.......

Andrew

Open exhausts can be fun, to get looks. Glad you're getting somewhere.

Do not take the slack out of the trans kick down cable!!!!
You need that slack in there. The trans kickdown only works when you kind of romp on the gas pedal. You know, stomp on it. If you eliminate any or too much slack, your trani is going to think you are rompin on it when you only want to go 20 MPH. The trans kick down is only supposed to drop you down a gear when your throttle is just about to bottom out (pedal to the metal).

Back