mini high torque starter question

BCOWANWHEELS

exactly what year and application do I need to buy for a small hi-torque mini starter , sbf ? what year . help please. going to be running a pan fill c4 behind my 250.
bob

You need one that works for your flywheel tooth count, trans you are using, and I think that is all the info you need. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know mike used a Tuff Stuff mini starter on his 69 turbo 250 mustang according to the mag articulate.

That C4 IS bronk specific, one of the few prts that R so (& i think it's just cuz of pan).

I found a refferral deep in my archive that shows a:

1) 3.8 bent6 '94-'8 stang

or as listed in "Handbook" :
2) "Tilton or Ford racing SBF bent8 gear drive".

sarter will fit. I kept this reference due to application of CI ss header fitment issues
(rather than the standard Q U have re 250/C4). Look up ur info in typical way (ie "250/C4") if
not interested in this offering. That's pretty straight forward.

I went for # 1) above - Duralast:
DL3205S
$99, ($20 core)
Have yet to assemble motor completely/ install engine in bronk.

@BCOWANWHEELS,

FWIW, I selected a PowerMaster 9103 high-torque mini-starter (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9103, $155) for my 250 with a 157-tooth flexplate and case-fill C4. The Summit Racing part number for this is PWM-9103. The smaller starter gave me more room for header and transmission cooler line clearance, and I haven't had any issues with the starter so far.

Thanks
Bob

Nice about 250 is availability of SBF options for FW, starter and Clutch.

250 with OEM Starter and SBF PMGR starter (@ $25 used on Ebay) in my '61.

have fun

"…PMGR…"
poly modal gear reduction?

How can U tell which one fits a 250 - ALL of the "SBF" offered?
Probably not?
What abt Bob's C4? (snout length) just get 1 listed A/T?

I'm all ways more sure w/direct replacement ford products. I appreciate and need U guys to inform me about these other alternatives due to cost savings (unfortunatly #1 priority 4 dis guy) or work-a-round strategies due to the non-oem mods I've undertaken.

So far it's been really helpful !

@chad,

PMGR = Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction

The larger OEM starters require electrical current to magnetize either the rotor or the stator.

PMGR starters use a more expensive, permanently magnetized material. This results in a small and lighter, but more expensive starter.

Thanks
Bob

"...Thanks
Bob…"

No, thanks all go to you, dude.

So - not every Ford small block (a mis-nomer, they're using a che**y term for 'us'. Ford has "families"…) PMGR
will fit for Bob. I know of at least 2 Ford starters for the 200/250. They seem identical but the snouts are a lill different.
I believe there are 1/2 a doz different Ford ones for these 2 quite different motors. Isn't there even a 3 bolt model?
Then we getinto the non-OEM...

Back