All Small Six Need a little input

This relates to all small sixes
I found another TFI wiring diagram showing pin 4 to connected to ground.
I can't speak to that.

Concerning fixed dwell my perspective is- points only have 30* dwell, and that diminishes at high rpm as the points begin to float. I'm ok with 30* fixed with the TFI. The spark is always hotter than low voltage points, and if the points dwell diminishes at rpm, the TFI module will still provide the same 30*. Properly tuned points alone was sufficient for all street rpm driving for a long time. The points/TFI is a hotter fire than points alone, so it is more than sufficient for normal engine operating parameters and is a valid ignition upgrade even if the coil saturation is not optimum.

Do your coils get hot with TFI?
I think 30* of dwell is ok especially with the full battery voltage applied. I’m going to stick with the Accel coil which is 1.5 ohm primary. I have a good rotor with .020 clearance to the cap contacts which should keep the spark voltage low but give more amperage and a longer duration to the spark, if I understand the spark dynamics correctly. A hotter coil might create more problems down the road with the small cap distributor.

Very modest heat from module or coil- using a OEM spec E coil made for the EFI/TFI system on one, and an old Mallory can coil designed for electronic ignition on the other. Not sure of the resistance on the Mallory. I can check it but not today. I'll check both Saturday just so we have that info FFR.

Back