need carb help for my 68 200

A

Anonymous

hello fordsix. i was refered to this site by your friends at mustangs and more where ive been a member forever. since ive just purchased another mustang, a 68 coupe with a 200 six, auto ive found myself in a world of trouble. the car is a basket case but im trying to bring it back. the previous owner butchered the carb, the choke is gutted and the linkage (looks like a nightmare) wont open all the way. i finally got the fuel lines, sending unit, fuel pump fixed, now the carb leaks bad. i need a new one. i went to autozone and they had two choices. a model 1100 built by champion (part #6-713) and a model 1101 built by holley (#64-5155). i would just rebuild this one but its been screwed up too badly. all i want to know is which carb should i get? the i.d. tag is missing off mine, but i can tell you is says "mfg. by carter for motorcraft". i dont know if this is the correct original carb. to be honest since neither of the carbs offered by the parts store are carters. i didnt even know champion made carbs, much less for ford. so which should i get, the holley 1101, or the champion 1100? do either of these stand out as the best choice? do either have an electric choke? does one flow more than the other? is one more dependable than the other? thanks for your help. im really new to the whole inline six world, so i hope ive come to the right place. thanks for your help.

Howdy Chips:

The '68 200 came from Dearborn with an Autolite 1100. It had an automatic choke that was a hot air/vacuum actuated mechanism. This carb, used on 200s in '68 to '69 had no Spark Control Valve, which were needed to make the earlier Load-a-Matic distributor work correctly. Unfortunately, the venturi was down sized from 1.2" to 1.1" for a reduction in CFM from 185 to 150. While the later distributors with centrifugal and vacuum advance built in were a performance and economy upgrade, the loss of cfm hurt performance badly.

Note that the venturi is a removeable plasitc insert. Unfortunately, the carb you are describing does not sound like a '67 and earlier Autolite 1100.

The Carter YF series of one barrels did not appear on 200s until the 1970 model year. They offered several improvements and upgrades, most noteable was a CFM of 187. They shared the same automatic choke system, with slight improvements.

The 1101 is a significant improvement over the 1100 in that it flows about 215 cfm. It was used on Ford cars and truck with the 223 six in the early '60s and again on the '69 250 sixes. Unfortunately, the early versions are not suitable because they used the infamous Spark Control Valve to signal the Load-a-Matic distributors of those years. The '69 model would work. It has a larger throttle bore and would require slight adaptation to use on a '68 head. 1st you would have to slot the bolt holes on the carb base to fit the narrower mounting bolt spacing. 2nd, you'd have to taper the carb mounting adapter at the top to accomodate the larger throttle bore and butterfly. All other hook ups should bolt up; the choke heat stove pipe, fuel lines, linkage, and air cleaner.

If I were in your shoes the 1101 would be my 1st choice. The carbs listed at Autozone are most likely rebuilt units.

Adios, David

ok, i just been told that the holley/webber 5200 two barrel would be the way to go. its a gm carb and it flows 270 cfm (56 bucks) and clifford has an adapter for it for 68 bucks. the info you just gave about the distributor is very enlightening! i was looking at the one on mine and it looks like it has two vaccuum lines. havent ever seen one like this and wondering if its going to be a problem. so is it a vaccuum advance type or is it going to be ok with a pertronix upgrade?

Howdy Chips:

It is a vacuum advance/retard mechanism. It is not ideal and a little more complex to deal with, but it is a darn site better than the earlier Load-a-Matic.

It will be fine with the Petronix.

The vacuum advance line is the one farthest from the distributor. The one closest to the distributor is for vacuum retard.

Adois, David

ok, great! since i'll be using the h/w 5200 carb do i have to hook the retard side up? heck, since it wasnt hooked up at all on the carter im sure i can find the vac. port on the new carb for the advance side, but where do i hook the retard side to?

Howdy Back Chip:

Sorry about that. Yes, you're right. Hook up the advance line to a ported vacuum source on the H/W- it's the higher one of the two ports. Leave the vacuum retard line open. If you plug it it will impede the movement of the diaphram.

Good luck.

Adios, David

ok, i was just taking another look and the retard side was hooked to a vac. tree on the water neck in the front of the motor. now i got to wait a couple of weeks to get my 5200 from stovebolt and my adapter from clifford :( its funny how that carb went on the mid 70's cars that had less power than the 200 with its one barrel, but yet it flows more cfm. almost bought a holley 350 instead since im really familiar with them, but it was gonna cost way more money and would probably be harder on gas since it doesnt work sequentially.

A couple of things contribute to the lower reported power levels of the mid 70's cars. They are reported SAE net instead of gross. Measured a different conditions and with different equipment bolted on the engine.
The compression ratio was also lowered for most engines from the 60's to the 70's. So we are comparing apples to oranges.

Regarding the CFM specs. Someone else may correct me, but I think the single bbl carbs and the 2 bbl carbs are measured at different conditions of vacuum across the venturi. I know 2 bbl and 4 bbl are rated at different conditions. It may be true of the single bbl carbs too.
Doug

Back