All Small Six No oil to timing chain

This relates to all small sixes
I had a local shop bore out my 200 block and rebuild the head. Now that I have the motor back together with new oil pump, bearings, and seals, I noticed a rattle coming from the timing chain cover using my stethoscope. The motor runs fine, with about 25psi oil pressure at idle. The rattle is particularly noticeable at idle and in Park or Neutral. I don't dare drive it for fear of doing more damage. I took off the pan and timing cover and it looks like the timing chain and sprockets are dry. The more I look at it, I can't seem to figure out how the chain gets oil. The top oil passage is capped off, which it should be. Is the oil supposed to flow from the cam and main journals? SMH.

What am I missing?

Hi, the timing chain gets oil through the camshaft thrust plate. I seem to remember that some thrust plates are grooved for oil flow on both sides, and some are only grooved on one side. If the thrust plate is only grooved on one side, the grooves must face the block. Was your thrust plate and cam removed? Good luck

It is possible that the cam bearing was put in wrong, blocking the oil port but that usually happen to the rear cam bearing, make sure that you get oil to the rockers. Is the cam spacer installed right, see cam spacer thread farther down this section.

I checked to see if the front cam bearing had the groove but couldn't see it so I pulled the engine. Not happy that I had to pull it and the head to get the cam out... But, sure enough, the cam bearing was in backwards. Rented and bearing puller, and put it back in with the groove facing forward and lined up with the oil passage. Thanks to all for their input!

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Hey Bill, make sure that you check all especially the rear one, there is two holes that need to line up, to oil the rockers, also each bearing is a different size and have to go in their right. order. I screwed that up once.

Back