All Small Six Powermaster PowerGen on 144/200???

This relates to all small sixes

Sixty4door

I’m looking into the generator to alternator conversion for my ‘60 falcon. I’d love to use the Powermaster generator “look-alike” (part number 82101-2)
Has anyone used one on our inline 6’s? Seems like theirs two part numbers that would bolt onto the Ford generator bracket, BUT… one does not have a terminal for the gen light, and the other does have a terminal for the gen light to work, but the terminals would be facing the engine, not away from the engine like it is now. I’d want to keep the dash light functioning. Thoughts?

I wanted to add that the response from Powermaster was pretty vague and not very helpful. I’d think theirs either one that’ll be a direct fit for an early Ford inline 6, or not.

Last edited:
First photo shows the one that allows the gen light to remain functional, but the terminals would face the engine.
Second photo (summit screenshot) shows the one without a terminal for the gen light.
Third is part numbers.
IMG_7941.jpegIMG_7943.pngIMG_7885.jpeg

Last edited:
Unless you are looking for original points, I would just replace with an alternator. I installed a 10si alternator in my 1960 falcon. It cost 85.00 dollars at napa. These are easy to come by at any Flaps. There is a bracket you can buy to install an alternator but I just modified the generator bracket to install the alternator. It is a 3 wire and the dash light will work if you us an incandescent bulb. I have all led lights but that one.

I was not aware that anyone built such an item. I like the looks of that 6 Volt Positive ground unit (think of old tractors...)

Im in the same boat. Having regulator issues now after rebuilding the generator. The price including shipping to europe is too steep for a lets give it s shot action.
But a new reg also set me back 200 euros wo warranty because it's an electrical part bs.
Will be following your progress.
But if I have to shell out another 200 for yet an other failed out of the box unit I might cave.

Hard to tell from the pictures if the end caps might be clockable? Meaning you could take out the end screws and carefully rotate 180 degrees and reinstall the screws. Maybe you could ask them that?

Hard to tell from the pictures if the end caps might be clockable? Meaning you could take out the end screws and carefully rotate 180 degrees and reinstall the screws. Maybe you could ask them that?
Yes, dito. Was going to suggest the same. Since the wires exit on the body not the end, it is possible it may be an easy clock to turn it around. This assumes the two thru bolts (out of sight on the pic) are symetrical with the two on this side, which is probable.

Maybe also noteworthy to check if the spin direction is the same on the powergen, because they are rated for v8's, do they turn the same direction? Basically the position of the connections should not really be an issue. You do not need the original connections from the harness anyway i believe, so you can fab you own longer wires and maybe also use more insulated or heat resistant wires?

Maybe also noteworthy to check if the spin direction is the same on the powergen, because they are rated for v8's, do they turn the same direction? Basically the position of the connections should not really be an issue. You do not need the original connections from the harness anyway i believe, so you can fab you own longer wires and maybe also use more insulated or heat resistant wires?
Yes the rotation is the same.
If the body clocks without binding any wiring- which that one looks like it should- the five minute procedure is better than having wires facing the manifold regardless of heat shielding. BUT it can work as is with heat protection.

That’s a great question, if these are clock-able. I had just assumed since there was no mention of that in the description, and the response from Powermaster didn't mention it either, that it wasn’t. I shot Powermaster another email. I’ll let you guys know what they say. This would definitely solve the issue of the terminals facing the engine.

In the meantime I ordered the bracket, alternator and regulator from Falconparts. I’ve got a bad generator on the 144 that’s currently in my Falcon, but I’ve got a 200 that I’m going to be dressing up a bit to put in later this year. I’d like to use that generator look-alike on that if I could.

Back