PREGNANT STATIONWAGON???

A

Anonymous

okay ive had entirely tooooooo much coffee lmao---i was sitting at waffle house looking at my 79 mercury zephyr wagon (ford fairmont clone) thinking about what a period custom would look like. suddenly its 1979 again. disco rules the charts. customizers prefer uniqueness and style over function and form. it is the HEIGHT of the custom van craze. i just bought my wagon and i wanna custom. what would happen if a custom van and a stationwagon mated and had offspring? hmmmm i thought to myself. this is how i think it would play out---remember youre in 1979 and the cool stuff has to be built not bought.
engine first--iron loggerhead with an offy 3 barrel setup and holleys with glass fuel bowls. since headers are at best rare two additional pipes are added to the stock manifold for a TRIPLE(!!!) exhaust with cherry bomb mufflers---3 carbs--3 pipes. makes sense right? back it up with a brand new granada 4 speed or srod trans.
chassis;
remember its 1979---the new fox chassis is considered hi tech, so other than a primitive lowering and cragar style four spokes with wide oval tires its fairly stock.
interior;
custom van seats (captain's chairs) with tons of pillowback velour everywhere, a custom welded chain wheel and a two foot shifter with a budweiser tap handle prevail.
body---now the really fun part. the side and back glass would be shaved as would the tail lights. they would be paneled in ala sedan delivery, but each side would have a round "bubble" window with two on the liftgate, and the taillights you removed would be relocated to the el camino bumper (remember how they have their own taillights?). all the door handles and other trim would be shaved as well, and now the roof gets a (shortened) van stlyle rear wing and full length lexan roof, and i GOTTA have some huge chrome sidepipes and fender flares front and rear and the best is last---a brand new (1979 remember) fox mustang nose!!!!!!!!!!

roflmao okay like i said waaaaay too much coffee. i just figured for sh*** and giggles id run it by you all so we could have a good laugh. i would positively adore any additions you would make or other comments--especially from the old timers like me that remember that era so so well

dang turbo---i havent thought bout the pinto cruisers in a hundred years---but now that you mention it---it is like a bigger version of it. you know i hadnt thought bout ttops on the wagon before---hmmm wonder how much trouble it would be? ideas? thoughts?

An unfortunate truth is that the late 70's and early 80's were a period in which American automotive styling was frequently in really, really bad taste, especially in terms of interiors. There were, of course, a few exceptions here and there, but for the most part it was a period that produced very few models that anybody regards as classics.

The customs from that era were often even worse than the factory cars, with garish, air-brushed mural paint jobs, shaggy fur all over the dash and other parts of the interior, those dopey welded-chain steering wheels, and the most hideous padded vinyl tops one can even begin to imagine.

ROFLMAO---YEA WASNT IT KEEEEEWWL?LMAO they were positively hideous and God help my soul i really miss all the wild stuff. it was a really exciting time for a car crazed teenager with big dreams no bucks and a lotta drive. one thing was sure---there were a lotta rides that didnt get lost in the crowd--good bad or ugly

btw, in regards to classics, i dont think my ride will be sought after on the same scale as say a 67 fastback or a yenko chevy, but i adore the fairmont/zephyr design for its simplicity, reliability, sturdiness and decent (for sedans and wagons at least) handling---its light and tough and gets round 28 mpg all day long. i just wish more people realized that these cars are worth a lot more than the buy in or resale prices..... they are small pieces of EVERYDAY automotive history thats fast going by the wayside. i mean really, shelbys and yenkos were great, dont get me wrong, but it was the little falcons and fairmonts and pintos etc. that did all the dirty work, soldiering on for years till something flashier came along only to be cast off, unloved and unwanted except for a few weirdos like me that cant bear to let em just fade into darkness.

on the upswing however the cheap buy in and what is essentially a mustang with extra doors make them great project cars because they can be sooooo upgraded and make the kinda sleeper that leaves people scratchin their heads after the light goes green lmao

No shag carpet? No fun fur? No 8 track? :LOL:
The seventies were fun but the time has come to put down the bong and join the real world. :LOL:

I actually kind of like the interior styling of my 1980 mustang hatch. Here a couple pics. I should really snap some pics when it's clean.

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01774.jpg

grant your interior is nice---almost identical to my zephyr (after all they are both foxy bodies). the whole idea is just for laffs but the shag and 8 track would be gotta haves as well as a prismatic dash panel (ala trans am of bout the same vintage) it would go great with the chain wheel lmao :roll:

ROFLMAO @ bong (delayed reaction) musta had way too much fun in my youth lmao but one question here---why the hell would i WANNA join the real world? :shock:

8)

I dont have the money or space for another project but I always wanted to build up a Fairmont/Zephyr station wagonw ith the rear windows blanked out.

My inspiration was seeing a picture of a Shelby American parts "Gopher" that was built out of a Falcon station wagon with the rear windows blanked over.

I found the perfect vehicle but could not get the title to it. A friends brother worked for a junkyard and they got in a LTD II coroners wagon which was a LTD II station wagon with no windows in hte back and had a Ford 400 V8 motor.

A Fairmont wagon with the rear windows blanked out, 5 lug conversion, 5 spoke Cragars S/S's, and a good I6 and auto would be a wicked little cruiser.

IIRC J.C. Whitney's catalog carries the round bubble windows the Pinto cruise wagons had. :LOL:

see now youre on the right track lol as i mentioned before blanking the windows. man, if you buy the ltd2 it would be cold blooded (lmao pun intended) but i dont even wanna think about the mileage. youll get muuuuuuch better service and mileage from a fox wagon. it is after all a mustang with a HUGE trunk lmao.

dualcarbwagon":2wux1vc2 said:
it is after all a mustang with a HUGE trunk lmao.
8) Yup. I share your view.
If you're buying one of these you dropped off of the REAL WORLD long time ago. :p

Stubby":2jfl21dq said:
No shag carpet? No fun fur? No 8 track? :LOL:
The seventies were fun but the time has come to put down the bong and join the real world. :LOL:

I won't, and you can't make me. :D

Don't forget the twin whip CB antennas and curb feelers!

OH YEA!!! i could mount the dual antanae on the shortened van wing lmao but will the curb feelers work with the flares? i have an even better idea--ill french the antanae where the side window USED to be and french the feelers in the flares. lol now quit bein a bogart and slide that bong over here lmao.

Here you go, bro... 8)

hey man - after a couple of hits, I could stare at your avatar for like hours. cool.

Back