Question about rocker assembly differences

Econoline

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2019
Supporter 2018
I just pulled the adjustable rocker assembly out of my 144 for clean up and transplant into the 250 and noticed a difference between the the two. On the #1 end there is a different pedestal with what looks to be some kind of oil bypass. Should I replace this pedestal with the regular type?

Also, on the 144 someone had added a secondary oil supply to the rocker assemble from a tee with valve at the sending unit. Anyone ever seen this done before?

jiun.jpg

zrb1.jpg

You would still need to have a pedestal that has oil passage to supply oil to rockers unless you are converting over to the different style lifters and oiling through the push rods. The auxiliary oil supply lines were used to supply oil to rockers on the old OHV engines of the 1950's and 60's because of all the sludge buildup from the older oil formulas, the lack of PVC system, and lack of regular oil changes so the top end oiling suffered. Usually they not needed now days with engines that are clean to start with and maintained, when you pull your rockers check that oil passage in the head is clean and free of sludge. Good luck :nod:

I guess what I'm asking is, is there any advantage to having this pedestal that diverts oil down to the valley where the pushrods come through the head or is it more of a detriment to proper rocker oiling? I'm guessing it is more of a detriment b/c it was eliminated in later years or maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was a solid lifter motor?

I have other pedestals off the non adjustable rocker assembly I can use.

The pedestal doesn't divert oil down too the lifter valley it feeds oil form blocks oiling system (presserized) up through the head and into the rocker assembly to supply oil to the whole top end of the motor. In Solid Cam engines (144 or early 170's) the Cam, Lifters, and push rods all get oiled by splash and as the oil drains back from the top end and then back down to pan. No mater which pedestals or stock adjustable or non adjustable Ford rocker set you use they will both get oiled by that same (presserized) oil passage in the head. If you change pedestals make sure you use the right one that has oiling passage in that end of the rocker shaft to maintain proper oiling. Good luck :nod:

I was hoping for more of a yes, get rid of that, or no keep that. And YES it does divert pressurized oil back onto the surface of the head @ the forward end where the pushrod holes are. Whereas the later version does not.

Yes for sure you can change out one or all the pedestals, and you can also ditch the aftermarket shaft oiler kit as you don't need to have two oiling systems if you don't want too. You can take both of the rocker sets apart use the other pedestals as a set then use the best rocker shaft of the two (check for wear on bottom side) and then reassemble with your adjustable rockers. Good luck!

Back