All Small Six Question regarding Weber conversion

This relates to all small sixes
Hello forum. I'm new, so don't be too ruthless. 😆

Car info:
>1967 coupe
>motor is a 200ci from a '65
>currently has a small log, but have '78 fairmont log I plan to swap

I plan on doing the vintage inlines Weber 2 barrel conversion. I know a HEI style dizzy is required, but most won't fit with the stock power steering bracket/pump. What good dizzy, other than a cheap ebay dizzy, would work?

Hi jaysun, and welcome to the Ford Six site! The stock Ford 200 & 250 Six DuraSpark II Electronic Distributor's are a drop into any of the 1965 up 170, 200, or 250 Six's. It was used in those 200's and 250 Six's from 1976 to 1983 so that 1978 Fairmont 200 Six engine would have also had the perfect solution for you. Good luck.

Duraspark 1 is also an option if you want it to look stock (small cap and different wire ends). I've run a DS1 that triggers a GM HEI module for years with zero issues on my 200.

I ordered a duraspark II from Davis unified, great customer service and well worth the money! They are hard to get right now but worth the wait. I’m using an MSD 6A box instead of ignition module and MSD makes an adapter harness that plugs straight in from the duraspark dist. To 2 pin Msd connector, they also have a 6’ shielded harness if you want to run the module inside your car. Makes it look more stock like than the HEI style.

I'm curious-why is an HEI-style distributor required for a 2v conversion? I have a 200 from a '78 Fairmont as well and am reading up on future upgrades.

I don't believe an HEI Distributor is required for a 2V conversion, I think it's just that the newer tech has a cleaner signal and a hotter spark. This allows for a larger plug gap and better burning. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me shortly.

You can also do an upgrade by installing a Pertronix electronic module as well. That may provide enough increase to be beneficial, yet fit inside the stock distributor to retain clearance concerns....

I'm curious-why is an HEI-style distributor required for a 2v conversion? I have a 200 from a '78 Fairmont as well and am reading up on future upgrades.
Hi Kritas, X3 so No the HEI Distributor is not a required upgrade nor is it the only one there are a number of upgrades that can be used with the 2V Carb Swap’s. First one is to use the stock Load O Matic Distributor with the CB Black Box. Second one you could use a 1968 to 1974 Point Distributor it can also be upgraded by using a Pertronix or a MSD 6AL, this would also give you a Duel Advance Distributor. Then there is the DuraSpark II Electronic Distributor these also have an advantage as they will fit with the Stock Ford Power Steering Pumps where an HEI will not. Last is the HEI’s. Good luck

Hi Kritas, X3 so No the HEI Distributor is not a required upgrade nor is it the only one there are a number of upgrades that can be used with the 2V Carb Swap’s. First one is to use the stock Load O Matic Distributor with the CB Black Box. Second one you could use a 1968 to 1974 Point Distributor it can also be upgraded by using a Pertronix or a MSD 6AL, this would also give you a Duel Advance Distributor. Then there is the DuraSpark II Electronic Distributor these also have an advantage as they will fit with the Stock Ford Power Steering Pumps where an HEI will not. Last is the HEI’s. Good luck

Thanks, I have already installed an HEI distributor and was curious since a 2v is something I'm considering vs. FI. I think I can do better than the Autolite 1100 that came with the car. Since I have no PS on my car, clearance isn't an issue.

Back