Selecting correct size exhaust and mufflers

Dragonlich1961

Looking at specing out exhaust size and routing options for my 61. Hand book. Recommends single at 2.25/2.5 and dual at 2.
I'm looking to run a single exhaust bumper exit.
Engine is 200 .030. e0 head, comp can 260h, 32/36 Weber, dual outlet stainless header(vintage inline), ds2 dizzy recurves by bill(wsa111), fired by an mad 6al. T5 with 8.8(3.73)( love to get the alum head)
I don't want to leave anything on the table, but I don't want ear piercing load. Something fun sporty and daily-able.
There is a much larger selection of 2.5 pipe and mufflers. Not a lot of parts available in 2.25.

Many members on here way more qualified than me to give advice but just wanted to comment on your impressive engine/trans/diff selection. Yeah I think too loud would get tiresome after awhile and annoy the neighbors.

See if you can find a picture of "wsa111" Bill's exhaust system on his Mustang it's a real work of art that performs very well. There was also Falcon Fanatic that built a David Visard Zero Loss System was quite a bit of work. Here is a link to some of that info viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64250&p=491647&hilit=Zero+loss+exhaust+system#p491647

Yes I am all for a quiet system too. Myself I often would use a simple system of 2, 2 1/4, or 2 1/2 inch depending on engine size with Turbo Mufflers which are not quite so loud as many performance mufflers. My next system I build will have a "Helmholtz Resonator" pipe at the rear to be as quite and drone free as possable. You can find sites that state how much power can be supported per the diameter size of pipe this can get into a lot of science on flow too. Generally you want as straight of runs as possible and use mandrel bends were you need to change directions on a run of pipe, with an X pipe near the collectors. Merge collector or nice Y pipe to transition from two to one, I also would use a pickle inside the collector, and collector extensions on my race cars with an open exhaust, today I would run mufflers over an open exhaust on a race car, if you did the Zero Loss system there could be virtually no difference except for some addistional weight. But even a simple system could be made that would only give up 5 to 6 HP over a very good open race system. There are calculations that can be made to figure it all out its been a lot of years since I have done them back during my racing days, if all goes well hope to build another drag car though. Best of luck on your system (y) :nod: :banghead: Edited for :shock: Spelling

Build a Helmholtz Resonator
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJy78e9QIk

I agree with Bubba, with one (well intended) minor clarification - it is actually called a Helmholtz resonator.

If nothing else, use the right size pipe (that is, to maximize exhaust gas velocity) - and then use a muffler that you like. If the muffler is only available in 2 1/2, use it, but use a flare into (and out of) the muffler increase/reduce to 2" or 2 1/2''.

:rolflmao: Lol Soldmy66, :shock: you caught me your just to fast for me! I even knew it was wrong when I was typing it and went to look for the correct spelling. I did fix it just now though and added a link to an example of a simple Helmholtz resonator build, I believe these are named after the man who invented them. (y) :nod:

My 67 Mustang 205 has Hooker headers going into dual 2" exhaust.
CxGbLnf.jpg

I would use Dynomax Turbo mufflers to keep the exhaust level at a decent level.
The mufflers i have are Flowmaster style & are loud.

I would like to keep it as a single exit near bumper, as running duals with the offset fuel tank in ranchero station wagon platforms does not seam like fun. Plus I think it looks better, I've tried very hard to keep every thing visible with the hood closed as original as looking as possible( like ford could have made it this way).
Are the any calculators i could use to help with my choices.
If my muffler choice was to loud by a little, can I install a second muffler or resonator to bring the noise down( with out hurting performance any? The factory exhaust has the muffler tucked up behind the wheel not under the passenger floor where I'm going to put mine. Under vehicle will be a oval muffler and behind wheel will be a round.
Everything should will hopefully be stainless (like my brake and fuel line)
Originally I was thinking merge the down pipes with a merge collector and use 2.25 but I can't find any 2-2.25 only 2-2.5.

I like loud. That's why I switched to a Black Widow muffler! I have a single out header with 2.5" pipe into the 3" muffler then dual out 2.25".

Remember you can use 2.25" pipe with a 2.5" muffler. I don't know how much room you have under your wagon. But under the stang my exhaust guy said going 2.5" with bends near the tank and axle would be a little difficult.

I would suggest DynoMax Super Turbos as well. I had those in the past as well as Flowmaster. The DynoMax was decent sound.

Not sure if I posted this before :

FlowMaster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KrTKM4UYbk

Black Widow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiV8iyGRyw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aeFmDgvW6U

Just remember. This was recorded with a cell phone.

Dragonlich1961":1tvjwzep said:
Are the any calculators i could use to help with my choices.

Yes, they are available at various sites on the internet. I believe the David Vizard article (linked above) may have one.

Basically, start by determining the CFM requirements of your exhaust (you will have to make assumptions and judgement about the most appropriate RPM range and maximum on which you will base these calculations), and then look at the CFM flow ratings for the pipe diameter that most closely matches the exhaust gas CFM requirement. Then it is muffler selection. Some (but not all, and probably not many) mufflers are also rated by CFM. If you look on manufacturer's websites, some will list CFM capacity of the muffler. Again, the link to the David Vizard article will help.

Hey all,

I lifted this information from the Classic Inlines website:

Rule of Thumb for Sizing Your Exhaust System

Pipe Diameter 1.75"
Single Exhaust : 50 - 100 RWHP
Dual Exhaust : 150 - 200 RWHP

2.0”0 tubing
Single Exhaust : 100-150 RWHP
Dual Exhaust : 200-250 RWHP

2.25” tubing
Single Exhaust : 150-200 RWHP
Dual Exhaust : 250-300 RWHP

2.5”0 tubing
Single Exhaust : 200-250 RWHP
Dual Exhaust : 300-350 RWHP

I used this information to make my own decision on my exhaust system and went with 2.0" single, in stainless steel from the headers back.

I chose a Porter steel packed muffler which has a great tone but was a little too loud for my liking. To remedy this I installed an Arvinode resonator from Waldron's exhaust in Michigan. The Arvinode resonator perfectly tamed down the volume while keeping all the rumble that I wanted. Now my Fairlane produces a very quiet rumble at idle or when cruising and sounds fairly aggressive but not obnoxious under load or acceleration. I would highly recommend the Waldron / Arvinode resonator behind whatever performance muffler you may choose.

I'm pretty much of a similar mind
"... an example of a simple Helmholtz resonator build..."
the suggested is a lill much. I just used to run a resonater (4 & 6 cyl cars of my youth ie = extra $ hanging around to put into cars alphas, fiats of the 60s, 70s & 1 '82/3? Lancia Beta Coupe).

For performance geta turbo (one the 3 styles of desing). If a lill drone, cut in pipe mid-way, put in a resanator (they R designed to remove 'drone', leave the rest of the sound) and avoid all the extra hanging offa the system. In fact now they may have 1 ( a helmholtz I see retail) that is back up the center of the system and duz not hang off weirdly...

While my Ranchero's 200 has a stock exhaust, I used Vizard's notes on my Buick 455 to very good effect, which shows that you can get great results even though you'll likely have to make several compromises because of space, packaging, installation issues, etc:

* pipes the same size as the header outlets (3") to some DynoMax turbo mufflers (open chamber things)
* The resonator/muffler/open chamber things as close to the header as will fit - to make the exhaust "think" its hitting open air.
* 2.5" pipes out of the resonator/muffler/open chamber things up and over the rear axle - the "more smoothly flowing" and cooler gasses don't need as big a pipe now.
* as long a 2.5" glass-pack muffler that fit (iirc, mine are 36") under the rear of the car - this is where the actual sound muffling happens, where you can make it super loud or super quiet.

* I didn't use an X-pipe, because a 3" one just wouldn't fit under a '71 LeSabre without being super close to dragging on the ground.
* The 2.5" pipes going above the rear axle were a real PITA for the exhaust guy to make and install, expecially mandrel-bent. Even though it's a big car there's not a lot of room under there.

The result is a nice and quiet exhaust with a deep rumble but NO DRONING, and when I floor it there's virtually no exhaust pressure ahead of the DynoMax's up to 5500rpm.

If you get mandrel bends 2.25 is plenty, otherwise go with the 2.5.

I dont like loud. A Summit turbo muffler has a little rumble, if its to much, add a glass pack as a resonator.

Back