spark plug and gap reccomendations

hoyter

I just installed a pertronix ignitor and flamethrower coil in my 1967 200 ci mustang and was wondering what others who are running this ignition system are using for spark plugs and what gap you are running for optimum performance. The car is otherwise stock as are the plugs. The ignitor/flamethrower made a huge difference already.

Thanks

hotroady":2o9ndhos said:
I would first make sure you bypassed/replaced resistor wire to get full 12volts to the coil.

Thank you for the reccomendation hotroady. Can you tell me how to do this? I understand that it is the pink wire but I do not understand what is meant by bypassing it and I'm not sure how this should effect the cool. Thank you.

Jack, I thought .045" was stock for DSII, and he's running a pertronix. I'd call pertronix about the ballast resistor issue, how many ohms resistance are in the primary winding of your coil?

If you don't mind the cost. NGK iridium WR51X stock # 7510 & gap them at .045-.050" if running a stout ignition system. There are 18mm.
Not recommended on a turbo engine. They may not or they may produce better power, but the drive ability due to the better flame kernel is improved during normal street driving.
The small Iridium center electrode fires at less voltage than a fat electrode & they last for many miles if run in a fresh engine & not an oil burner.

hoyter":kk1l5ckt said:
hotroady":kk1l5ckt said:
I would first make sure you bypassed/replaced resistor wire to get full 12volts to the coil.

Thank you for the reccomendation hotroady. Can you tell me how to do this? I understand that it is the pink wire but I do not understand what is meant by bypassing it and I'm not sure how this should effect the cool. Thank you.

The pink wire is attached via bullet plug on the ignition switch wiring harness. If you want to keep resistor wire intact, just unplug and tuck away. Bypass with female bullet club and 14ga wire to hot side of coil.
I would stick with Autolite plugs, Copper core. Silvercore core plugs are best electrical and thermal conductors, Copper 2nd in conductivity and thermal.

so far the best plug i have used over the years in a large variety of engines is the autolite plug. and with a stock point controlled ignition i run a gap of .035" and with electronic ignitions i run gaps of .040-.045", even in race engines. we tried .050-.060" in the fuel altered we ran, and we had issues of miss firing and the ignition breaking up at the top end.

Econoline":30yp35sv said:
Jack, I thought .045" was stock for DSII, and he's running a pertronix. I'd call pertronix about the ballast resistor issue, how many ohms resistance are in the primary winding of your coil?
My spec is for a '78 Fairmont.
Actually I may drop it down to .045 and see if it improves the idle.

I've had the best luck with .040 on NGK plugs on my 200 with Petronix, anything bigger or smaller seems to foul up the plugs sooner. Also, the NGK plugs seem to foul up less than the Autolites I've used. That's just my 2 cents over the last 12 years I've driven this car.

Back