steel shim head gasket, correct application

wsa111

Distributor Recurving.
Staff member
VIP
Approved Vendor
Supporter 2018
I just pulled the head off my engine & did some valve seal up grade. But need some aplication help on a steel shim headgasket. the gasket i have is .021 thick & is made by felpro # 7916. I matched it to the cylinder head & it checks ok, put the gasket on the block & some of the metal gasket is smaller than the bore size, a small amount. Does anyone know the correct application of this 7916. The replacement gasket used today is a 7916 PT-1 which is a composite gasket .043 compressed gasket also made by felpro.
My other option is use the ford composite head gasket which is .038 not compressed #C9DE6051C. Lets here it. William

Bill,

I Have a NOS Fel-Pro number 7916-SH head gasket still in the package.....unfortunately, its application is for for the 144-170 6's 1960-1970.... :cry: :(

Go with the other gasket! ;)

Later,

Doug

Ronn, can't do that cause part of the sealing bead hangs into the bore size.
If anyone out there has the need for a gasket for the 144-170 engine i have 2 nos 7916 .021 steel shim felpro head gaskets. $35.00 + shipping.
William

I was kidding :roll: :eek: It's too bad it does'nt fit cause I was going to hit you up for an addy or number to buy one for mine. :(

Bill;

That "C"-series composite gasket you have was Ford's answer to leaking headgaskets where the head or block had warped (under warranty situations). It lowers the compression a little, but not as much as the Felpro or Victor gaskets out there. It does seal the oil and water passages better than the steel ones, and does not need retorquing after 500 miles.

If you try to use the steel shim gasket from the 144/170 engine, the cylinder holes are a bit too small and will enter the quench zone when torqued down (I tried that once, 2 years ago, because I had several of them on hand). I did not try running it that way, nor did I try to trim away the expanded metal. If I remember correctly, the pattern was irregular, sticking into the chamber at 3 places around each cylinder hole, approximately .010"=.015" (I'm estimating this distance from memory, though, and my memory has been better in the past...). If there are no cylinder liners in your block, the ridge in the gasket would still be between the head and block, but closer to the bore. (I have seen some 200 blocks with liners in them, but don't know about their histories.)

The only complete solution, outside of finding another steel gasket, is to deck the block. Milling the head (with composite gaskets) with bring back the original compression ratio, but it will leave too much quench height. This will cause lower MPG and other lower-performance issues, especially if you're working with a Fairmont engine....

markp, i will use the ford composite gasket #C9DE6051C. The head is already cut for a 49 cc chamber, & my deck is .010
If anyone wants to buy the steel felpro 7916 i have 2 of them. They will fit the 144-170 engines. William

Back