T.B.I.

FastRonald

8) Has anyone successfully adapted a T.B.I unit off say a mid to late 80's 302/351 onto a six?

Fuel pump and some degree of electronics is required.

I have given this approach too much thought vs. e.f.i. .

Who's tried it or done it?

No one has done it to date to my knowledge. The TBI unit ford used is called "CFI" for central fuel injection. Years back I was exploring the possibility of using one with a Megasquirt controller, and it looked promising, but plans changed.

lots of people are planning it, but like John said, no one's gone through with it yet

8) The T.B.I. - C.F.I. seems like such a sensible swap to upgrade cheaply. I may look deeper into it myself and se what can be done using Ford parts. A nice C.F.I. from a mid 80's 302 would give plenty of power and better fuel mileage than most one barrels and two barrel carbs.
I had a 1985 Merc Grand Marquis that ran for 17 years with the C.F.I. on it and ran great. A rod bearing final spun and after 17 years, I retired the car.

The problem with most factory FI systems that I've seen that might lead to difficulties in swapping would be figuring out where to mount the crank or camshaft position sensor. (unless, of course, the system in question uses a tach pulse to fire the injector)

The TBI system used on a lot of GMs 4 bangers, like Saturns, is very, very simplistic. Even with a full load of factory emissions crap, there are only 2 vacuum lines, and very little wiring. The sensors involved are crank position, intake air temp, coolant temp, o2, MAP, throttle position and oil pressure.

These sensors feed both the ignition and fuel systems.

Actually the biggest problem is not mounting the hardware. It's in tuning. Taking a factory system from one type of engine and expecting it to run on another different engine is a leap of faith. You get acceptable results when the volumetric efficiencies, rpm range, and power outputs are similar, but you are often locked into factory programming, so performance enhancements are difficult.

There are ways to get around that with things like chip burners, Tweeckers, etc., if you have access to those.

Back