TIMMING CHAIN & GEARS

BCOWANWHEELS

Throwing in the towel, its not worth the trouble for me to persue the d/r chain setup. the gain isn't worth the trouble so does anybody know the part number for the timming chain and gears for a early (1969) 250 4.1. melling, cloyes etc. my engine is just a D/D so really no need for all the d/r machne work unless I,am forced into it. clay smith has the early setup but site doesn't state brand. with all this offshore stuff out there its scary.
thanks
bob

Howdy Again:

The last one I used came from NAPA. S414 for the cam gear, S514 For the crank gear and 9-363 for the chain.

Someone listed a JP 5608 recently that was pricey but was decreeable, + or - 2, 4, 6, and 8 degrees.

Again, Hope that does you.

Adios, David

"...but was decreeable,…"
the NAPA crank sprocket had several keyways cut?

Ahhh… thank you. I can see em now (just preface those 2 numbers with "NPT"). However,
sorry to make U the parts man but
When finding those @ NAPA on-line I searched for the chain as well and most were double rollers.
The singles were "NTP 93xx" or "94xx" and differentiated by number of links:
48, 50 56, 58
May B I can find the chain by look toward one of these 4 by number of links? No "9-636" on-line.

I can also just go down to the local…may B some 1 has number of links I can tell them? i'll also bring the yr/make/model &
this referenced "9-" info. My machinest did not get a timing set that'll fit the motor & I want the '69/70 - prePolution Control
(and "thinner" I believe).

Hey, I'm 2/3rds the way there now!

Thanks~

I called napa and heres what they told me
crank gear no problem location az. whse
chain no problem location az. whse

cam gear s515 was only number offered location az. whse.

NOW GET THIS
"THEY WILL NOT COMBINE SHIPPINGCOMMING OUT OF THE SAME WHSE" SO ITS gonna be close to 150-165 bucks time there in my hands ?
"NOT"

NOW GET THIS
"THEY WILL NOT COMBINE SHIPPINGCOMMING OUT OF THE SAME WHSE" SO ITS gonna be close to 150-165 bucks time there in my hands ?
"NOT"
Go to an actual NAPA store, and have them order it for you, then you can pick it up at the store, and not pay any shipping...

I JUST WENT TO CLAY SMITH,S WEB SITE TO ORDER TIMMING CHAIN SETUP AND SHIPPING WAS 20.00 BUCKS TO TENNESSEE. GOSH MY 22 LB RAU WAS ONLY 22.00 FROM CALF WITH 500.00 INS. CLAY SMITH IS A DUD IN MY BOOK. THEY EVEN HAVE TO MAKE PROFIT OFF SHIPPING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCOWANWHEELS":33j87hvf said:
I JUST WENT TO CLAY SMITH,S WEB SITE TO ORDER TIMMING CHAIN SETUP AND SHIPPING WAS 20.00 BUCKS TO TENNESSEE. GOSH MY 22 LB RAU WAS ONLY 22.00 FROM CALF WITH 500.00 INS. CLAY SMITH IS A DUD IN MY BOOK. THEY EVEN HAVE TO MAKE PROFIT OFF SHIPPING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I was less then impressed with the conversation I had with them, and considering they are not at all cheap, you would expect better. Schneider on the other hand gave me the opposite impression, but I do not actually know which is the better cam.

My conversation with Clay went as such:
We don't really have a cam perfect for your needs, but this one is kinda close...

And Schneider:
Well, if we took this grind, modify the lobe center, add a little duration, it should be about right, oh, and no extra cost for the custom grind...

BCOWANWHEELS":1tyu0y69 said:

Getting just a little bit tired of your bitching.

Plus, all CAPS in internet etiquette is SCREAMING!

Now, where's my medication.

BCOWANWHEELS":1n8isgap said:
I POST TRUTH SORRY {NOT REALLY} IF IT HURTS.
Just turn up the magnification on your screen, and quit using all caps, it is obnoxious to go around screaming all the time...

I agree w/all the forgoing:
1) "personal comments"
and
2) "work around automotive solutions".

I often find myself posting a comment after a reaming by Mr. B of another member. It's not something that's a deal breaker but just abrasive.
Thought I'd post something I've been thinking awhile. It's not to the level of an email to the admin about it, but over a longer period something like this can add up to that level (cumulative). I look forward to younger less knowledgable folk (or older like me!) coming here to work around difficulties and getting help from those with tools/time/experience/skill/space to work etc. I left another forum due to this kind of comment and found this place very welcoming. I hope we can monitor ourselves so this place continues as collegial as it has been. Some 1 who has been very helpful was just coming back (from a 'ban') when I joined and has monitored the tone of his posts such that I wish he didn't have to leave for awhile earlier. - Has been very helpful - .

I think I'll seek out the local NAPA… this is also what the on-line Customer Service suggested. I'll take the old numbers, they may B able to trace forward and show me which (it's only the chain 4 me) now replaces our members references. I hope there is a store near U Mr. B. ( If not there can B other solutions we may work out together.) I'm going to post the info I have so far that's been confirmed on-line. When I get info from store in person I'll post that as well. It will come together, just not as rapidly as some wish. I've had this rig since '83 so I can B considered "too patient".

Thanks for 'listenin".

EDIT:
will need to go home to get numbers that were confirmed to post 2 U. B the rest of the day or tomorrow till I can post what's confirmed @ store.

I couldn't find the double roller for the 250 either so I ordered a premium set from the local NAPA. Came all the way from Texas to Michigan and I picked it up at the store two days later in the middle of one of our worst snow storms this year. No charge for shipping as far as I can see. On the subject, has anyone heard of the suggestion that you take a wire wheel gently to the sprockets and chain to eliminate sharp edges prior to installation? First time for everything I guess!

I GOT A SET FROM CLAY SMITH. 80 bucks delivered. called em and all they could tell me was chain was usa gears was brc mfg ????

"...couldn't find the double roller for the 250 either…"
there is none. Members have modded up one requiring machining down the crank snout for the sbf sprocket, remove a link, etc.

"...A SET FROM CLAY SMITH…"
U Go Mr. B!
nice price too…

"... take a wire wheel gently to the sprockets and chain …"
No, sorry.

Well I'm putting the 78 Granada back together and ran into a snag! I am doing this 250 motor build in the car which means the block and oil pan of course are still in there. I love the NAPA timing gears and chain I got using the individual part numbers. It is a LOT heavier. Problem is that the chain is one inch wide rather than the stock 3/4" which means it is so close to the lip of the oil pan that the rubber timing cover insert will not fit between the chain and pan. All fits great if I take the insert out. so lets cut to the chase....Do I need that piece? Its not a tensioner but probably has some value when the chain stretches... I'm bummin here. You guys haven't let me down yet. Any suggestions?

Back