All Small Six Up-locks for valve retainers

This relates to all small sixes

clochard68

Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
Does anybody know where to find up locks for the valve retainers?
For example locks that result in .050” plus on the installed valve spring height.
For 5/16 valves with 7° retainers…

Unfortunately I could only find these locks for other valve diameters, would appreciate some help, thanks.

99085-1 lock

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for! Now I just need to find a shop that has them in stock ;)

99085-1 lock

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for! Now I just need to find a shop that has them in stock ;)
Just so there is no misunderstanding, the Crane 99085-1 locks will not fit into any retainer you presently have and will only work with the Crane Multi-fit retainers.
You have to select one of the Multi-fit retainers on page 350 of the catalog.

What is the ID spring dimension?

Last edited:
Just so there is no misunderstanding, the Crane 99085-1 locks will not fit into any retainer you presently have and will only work with the Crane Multi-fit retainers.
You have to select one of the Multi-fit retainers on page 350 of the catalog.

What is the ID spring dimension?

That was my misunderstanding, I'm planning on using the Mopar beehive springs and retainers as mentioned in this thread:

Guess I will stay with the standard height, thank you pmuller9!

The Crane 99976 Multi-fit retainer may fit the Mopar beehive spring.
It has a .640" diameter section.
I can't find the ID spec for the Mopar spring.

I just measured the top ID of the Mopar beehive spring (Melling VS-1282) with 0.681", so the Crane 99976-X should work!

What is the difference of the Multi-fit retainers? Do they have a larger outer diameter? --> Just found it in the catalog, the outer diameter is indeed larger...

crane valve locks.jpg

Last edited:
It seems that the cranecams parts are sold out everywhere except Australia...

That was my misunderstanding, I'm planning on using the Mopar beehive springs and retainers as mentioned in this thread:

Guess I will stay with the standard height, thank you pmuller9!
For future reference the old retainer pn 4483745 shows superceded to 5037754AA retainer. That comes from Mopar online.

I may have a solution for a retainer. If anyone has an Ls 5.3 retainer for 8mm valve, it should seat slightly higher on the locks than a .310 stem. I don't have one to try. I did order a single spring to try.

I may have a solution for a retainer. If anyone has an Ls 5.3 retainer for 8mm valve, it should seat slightly higher on the locks than a .310 stem. I don't have one to try. I did order a single spring to try.
Still waiting on spring to arrive, but I acquired a retainer to test. Presumably vsr709 equivalent. Installed height with 2 piece retainer had 1.59" and with Ls style grew to 1.69 . Yes a gain of .100" . The only caveat is there is only about .020" clearance from retainer to valve tip. Not a problem unless you have worn rockers. I dykem tested lock to retainer angle and looks ok.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-19-14-26-34.png
    Screenshot_2023-02-19-14-26-34.png
    583.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230219_141921_HDR.jpg
    20230219_141921_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
For my application I consider the VS-1282 a success. Fits head well, the LS retainer is a little loose inside but outer diameter provides plenty of coverage. I'm at 1.69 i.h and will break in cam there and shim under spring later. It is probably a good idea to grind a touch off top of retainer ridge for extra rocker tip clearance or minus .050 locks20230223_161236.jpg

Are you using a Stock Length set of Valves? How much clearance do you have now from the bottom of the Retainer and the Valve Guide?

Stock length valves. Look back at previous post without spring. The locks are actually lower than the retainer underneath. I haven't measured yet, they will get machined for viton seals. These heads have so much work done that I can't say the guide height is stock.

Looks like in your picture that you still will have a good amount of Valve Retainer to Stem Seal Clearance once it is set up with those Viton Stem Seals. I am looking into using a Pro Flow type set of Valves or even going a smaller diameter stem size and set the Head up for up to .600 lift maybe even going to lighter weight on all the other Valve Train parts. Those Beehive Springs seem to be fitting well on your Head so that's going to be a big plus for you. Those Valve Retainers sure could be turned down easy enough on a Lathe so that lip isn't sticking up that high. Not sure what Valves I will be able to find that will work yet looks like the Small Six Performance type Valve supply has gotten to be much smaller now too. Best of luck on your project.

I would go with the minus .050 locks, for clearance and seat pressure, so you have both issues resolved with just the locks.

What cam are you using? I was in contact with Howards and Isky and both suggested 100-110 lbs at the seat.

For break in, I read hereon the forum that as long as the open pressure doesn't exceed 250lbs you can break in your given spring/retainer/lock combination.
I will also have to break in my new Isky flat tappet, and I was planning on just running my setup with 100lbs seat abd around 200lbs open pressure (same spring as you but with Mopar retainer)...

Back