What are the 1961-1964 262 block casting numbers?

I am looking for the block casting numbers for the 1961-1964 262 six cylinder engines. I have a opportunity to purchase a 1964 six that the seller says is a 262 but the block casting number is the same as a 223 I have sitting here. The casting number on the 223 I have here is C3AE-6015-AC. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ted Eaton.

Hi Ted Eaton, and welcome to the Ford Six Forum! Clearly the seller either doesn't know the difference between a 223 Six and a 262 Six or he's not being honest, so you would need to decide that in your talking with him. Just going by a vehicle's VIN Number or a Door Warrantee Tag Number this is a very easy mistake to make on trucks that are now as old as these are. Because the engines could of been changed out many times all ready. Yes you are right to be concerned if it has the same number as the 223 that you have. Yes there is a unique Design / Casting Number to ID the 262 from a 223 Six Engine Block, it's been many years since I have seen one but I can give some good ideas as to what the Design Number looks like from my memories. Since 1961 was the first year they were made it would look much like this the only thing I can't be sure of would be the last letter or letters that it would have, C1TE-6015-A

This decodes as
C = The Decade of 1960
1 = The year when added to the above so 1961
TE = The Ford Engineering Department that ordered the part made this is the Truck Engine Department and the biggest clue that he doesn't really have a 262 Six.
6015 = Ford's Generic Part Number for an Engine Block.
A = Denote that it's the First year Part Design there can be many others used here when the parts gets running Changes, Mod's, or a slight Improvement made to it. I. E. AA, B, BB, etc.

Other posable 262 Six Design Numbers that could of been used.

C2TE-6015-A this would maybe be a 1962 number for a 262 Six
C3TE-6015-A this would be a 1963 number for a 262 Six
C4TE-6015-A this would be a 1964 number for a 262 Six

Ford would often use these numbers more than a single year so you can't tell the exact year by it, so you would also need to find the Casting Date Code that is 2 to 3 Numbers and a single Letter this tells you the exact day the part was cast at the Ford Engine Foundry. If you want more parts info on this engine family that had 215's, 223's, or the 262 Six's you can check out this link and there are many others on this site. https://fordsix.com/threads/h-p-engine-build-223-262-l-6.73584/#post-565318
So remember if the first four numbers and letters don't have C1 to C4 & the TE than it can't be a 262 Six. Best of luck in your 262 hunt I have been looking for one of them or a late 223 too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. No intentional deception intended as the seller assumed this was a 262 due the VIN information indicating that was what the engine was. Apparently the original engine has been swapped out early in its past with the 223. The date code on the seller's block falls in as being potentially a very early 1964 production truck but that's about it. Some of the 262 features such as a dual belt damper and the reinforcing horizontal rib going through the freeze plug centerline are not there. Whereas I typically look for the timing cover mounted fuel pump, I was aware of the 1964 models having a block mounted fuel pump which this one did have. With that engine having the same block casting number as a verified 223 I have sitting here, the validity of that engine that's for sale as being a 262 came into question.

So my next question is "Did the 1964 262 engines have a gear to gear timing set or did they have a timing set with a chain?".

Thats a very good question! I do know that the 223 Camshaft grind uses the 223 Timing Chain gear set, and the Y Block V8 Timing Set is also the same so there is a Double Roller Chain and Billet Gear set that can be used in the 223s. I also know that the 262 Camshaft in order to use its Gear Drive Timing Set needed the Cam to be ground differently so its turning in reverse those 262's also use a different distributor drive gear because of that. I also know that you could use all those above 223 Cam and the timing parts as a direct swap into the 262 Blocks. However I just don't know what Camshaft and timing parts those 1964 262's engines used in them, it would be logical to think that Ford might of used all those 223 parts since it was a proven design for those 1964 262's with a block mounted fuel pump. If you could find out the direction that the distributor rotates then you would have a better idea on that. I. E. if the 1964 262 Distributor Cap Rotor Rotates in the same direction as a 223 dose or turns in the same rotation direction as the 1961 to 1963 big truck 262 engines with the fuel pump mounted on the front timing cover. I used work at an Avis Rent A Car dealership and Taxi Company back when I was in high school doing the maintenance on all those big Ford Rental trucks when they were fairly new, later on as I worked as a mechanic I also seen a few more of those big Ford trucks so those are the only ones I have worked on. If I had to make an educated guess I would think that all those Light Duty 262's that were used in the F100's to F350's Pick Up Trucks having 262 engines with the block mounted Fuel Pump, those engines would likely use the 223 Cam and Timing Parts or a version of that 223 parts design. But I could be wrong too. Best of Luck I sure wouldn't mind finding one of the 1964 262 Pick ups like this 1964 Ford F100 with a 262 Six to Restore see picture below.

Attachments

• 1646684409683.jpeg
    1646684409683.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
IIRC the 223 used a chain and gears except for "police" and "taxi" applications which were equipped with the gear drive and reverse rotation camshafts. As far as I know, all 262 engines used the gear drive.

Lou Manglass

Back