All Small Six What kind of crankcase ventilation is this?

This relates to all small sixes
Hey all! I believe this is my first post, but long time lurker. I was getting ready to pull the valve cover on my project - a 1963 Ranchero with the 170 - and I was noticing that my air cleaner was getting dirtier than expected from the vent hose coming from the crankcase.... After reading and researching, it's not a road draft tube, but it also doesn't look like a proper PCV setup either.

The shop manual didn't provide much because I'm guessing this is not a typical setup, so I figured I'd start here. Have y'all seen a ventilation setup like this?

Attachments

• PXL_20230508_003750499.jpg
    PXL_20230508_003750499.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20230508_003801002.jpg
    PXL_20230508_003801002.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi sknapp. and Welcome to the ford Six forum. Ford First started putting PCV Systems on the 1961 Ford's so yes that could still be the OEM system they used a version like that from 1961 to 1964 then improved it and changed it to the more common system that most people recognize. However that is only part of it, it's the Fresh Air Vent hose from the Air Cleaner down into the Crankcase. The other main part of the system with the actual PCV Valve which is located on the other side of the engine and connects into it just below the Carburetor so you need to post some pictures of that side now. Good luck.

Oddly enough, it doesn't look like I have anything plugged into the spacer except the coolant lines.

I took another look at the 63 specific manual and it looks like this is the full system... Go figure.

PXL_20230508_150954545.jpgPXL_20230508_143137011.jpg

Hum I still don't see any Vacuum source for that PCV to even work? Some of the site members and I were helping a young guy get his 1962 Falcon 144 back in running condition that he picked up after setting for 20 years, https://fordsix.com/threads/budget-rebuild-rehab.80834/
In this Video you can see all the parts for its PVC system with it Running / Operating. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uK0wCXZNpGfxxs2VzPErgURxrEI64JFw/view
Though yours is a year newer it is still similar in how it would work just a little different routing. But my question is where is it going to get the needed Vacuum Source for it to operate either from somewhere below the Carb Base or from the Intake Log?

Thanks for including that video! Really helpful. As I've done more reading, it seems that for 63 they tried this PCV system that vented the crankcase gases up into the air cleaner, with fresh air coming through the breather cap. To me it seems like a cheaper, dirtier setup. The regulator itself is in that 90 degree turn that is press fit into the block. Once I get that thing out I can give it a good clean and return it.

I think I could put in a threaded adapter into the carb spacer and then run hose between it and the PCV regulator as opposed to the air cleaner. What do you think?

ford sketch shows it simply coming in thru the VC breather (or CC oil fill hole), no?

Thanks for including that video! Really helpful. As I've done more reading, it seems that for 63 they tried this PCV system that vented the crankcase gases up into the air cleaner, with fresh air coming through the breather cap. To me it seems like a cheaper, dirtier setup. The regulator itself is in that 90 degree turn that is press fit into the block. Once I get that thing out I can give it a good clean and return it.

I think I could put in a threaded adapter into the carb spacer and then run hose between it and the PCV regulator as opposed to the air cleaner. What do you think?
Yeah I don't really think yours has a PVC System looks more like a Moded Road Draft Tube will depend if there is any PCV in that Block Hook up. Yes if you can get the early style PCV hooked up to the Carb Adapter and Routed over the the other side of the engine that would work much better. After that the best system you can have is the Closed Type PVC yours could be converted into that by using a later style Oil Filler / Breather Cap that has the Hose End Fitting on it than it would connected into the Air Cleaner with a length of hose into its Hose Fitting this way the engine is only drawing Clean Air from the Air Cleaner Housing.

"I think I could put in a threaded adapter into the carb spacer and then run hose between it and the PCV regulator as opposed to the air cleaner. What do you think?"
Fords with a PVC valve had the crankcase vent hose connected to the air cleaner. If excessive oil is getting on the air cleaner you may need a new set of piston rings + maybe the cylinders need to be rebored.

my system is closed w/design help from the site.
A baffled back-of-VC opening hasa pcvalve (attempt to keep out oily air, to the log below the carb.
A second(on frnt VC hole @ crankcase fill hole) is just a hose up to ac/filter housing. I made sure to close any hot air choke nipple or other vacuum sources. I went to an ele choke. My problem is I can not grantee the arrow direction as demonstrated in "Fig 7" post 3 above

Ford and some of their 'Better Ideas"... my '62 170 had the 'road draft tube" blocked off with a freeze plug, and a PCV valve in the manifold below the carb.

Why they went backwards in '63... ??

"...my '62 170 had..."
of note would B if Cali designed/equipped or mani/sold for Cali or another state.
There were differences back then (& somewhat today) @ "the beginning".

Last edited:
And to make it even more interesting, as I got down to the carb spacer to look at the threaded opening, it's not there. It was never drilled. So I would need to get a new carb spacer with the threaded opening to do a more modern PCV.

I was able to pull the PCV out of the block yesterday and clean it thoroughly. It was all gunked up, so happy to have that done. The opening off of that adapter is 1 in, so to make it work off of the carb spacer I would likely need to get some adapters to make the carb spacer side larger.

I don't know why they went with this system as opposed to the more vacuum based system in 63. My Ranchero was made in Texas, not California.

The PCV is not piped correctly. The PCV system is basically a controlled vacuum leak. The PCV should be connected to a vacuum source. Usually there is a connection for this on the carburetor. The adaptor plate should have a tapped hole for a vacuum source. You want it as close to the carb as possible if carb does not have a connection for the PCV. The air cleaner connection is for a hose to suck clean air into the engine. Sometimes this can be done with a breather on the valve cover.

Hi sknapp, yes for sure California was the first to have the PVC systems on new 1961 year models, but many don't know that New York also had them soon after in about 6 month's and a few short years later I believe all of the states had them in 1965. Could you post a picture of those few parts that are connected into the Short Block Hole, I still don't see how there could be an actual PCV in it let along a working one? Having grown up and lived in California most of my life I seen all those things come to pass, I also seen and worked on many other cars from other states. However never seen one like yours of course all cars with an Over Head Valve engine that was used in the SoCal Calif. area also had to be retrofitted with at least an aftermarket PVC system. Anyway I am quite curious about your system and how it would work.

1960 144 engine in my 1960 falcon. The draft tube was turned upside down (facing up) and the PCV valve was adapted to the draft tube. This was piped to a vacuum source at the carb. A hose was run from the oil fill in the valve cover to the air cleaner.
I can provide pictures if you want.

The PCV is not piped correctly. The PCV system is basically a controlled vacuum leak. The PCV should be connected to a vacuum source.
^^X2. sknapp you appear to have a draft tube exhaling into the air filter housing, requiring all the oily vapor to pass thru the paper element. If there were a PCV valve in that line the air filter would be clean, and all vapor would be exiting the VC cap. Without manifold vacuum a PCV valve is closed.

Back