Which header do I need for a Fox 3.3L I6?

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
8)

Looks like I need to order the FSP-200-DOH but it doesnt really say it will fit the Fox body Mustang.

It seems to be the same header that fits earlier Mustangs but if thats the case then Im not sure it will work.

I got a long tube header from Mustang Geezer that seems to fit fine except the collector hits the K-member.

What are other Fox body Inline sixers using for headers?

I have two Fox body inlines, both are 200's with C4 auto.

Thanks for any help.

CI (FSPP) dual headers don't seem to fit into fox, they hit the k-member and/or the firewall.

I've got an older FSPP coated header with SINGLE outlet and it works fine, although it runs pretty close to the frame rail and firewall at the collector.

I've got pics if you'd like to see.

I have a Clifford 6 into 1 header in my 81 Stang.

I had to shorten the collector about an inch as it too runs pretty close to the frame rail and firewall at the collector.

John

8)

80Stang if you could please post pics.

Both my Stangs are high mount starters and I dont have any problem with running the Single outlet.

Its just that the CI site didnt specifically mention that it fit the Fox.

Thanks again for the info guys.

EDIT: Ahhh crap. CI doesnt seem to carry the Single out any more and Clifford doesnt carry one for the Fox bodies.

So now it seems my best option is to see about getting the one I got from Mustang Geezer customized. Comes cloe but the collector hits the K-member. If I could raise collectors a wee bit it might work.

I'd stick with the single outlet, and get it to fit properly with a little work. Minor changes to the pattern shouldn't be too hard.

Az had a dual header set custom made. He was concearned that there may not be a market on later Foxes. No use in carrying stock which no-one want's.

The Australian Ford Cortina from 1977 to 1982 had the same problem....K-member gets in the way. It is very restricted in the engine bay, and I'm quite keen to develop a package around it. Only problem is the market is very small, as it was only the 72 to 76 Ford Cortinas that ran non cross flow heads.

In addition, although the other Fox I6's, namely the 77 to 84 Fairmont, 80-82 Tbird, 80-82 Cougar is the same as the 79-83 I6 Mustang/80-83 Capri underneath, there are issues with low and high mount, and the thermal reactor converter used on some sixes.

Although the SR4, T4, C3, C4 and C5 gearboxes are pretty easy to get a dual exhast past, there is a heck of a lot of issues making a dual out item.

8)

At this point I would be happy even if I could get single out header but those are not available anymore.

I would like a dual out for the dual exhaust sound but would still take a single out if thats all that I can get.

I have Hooker Dual Super Comps on my 79, however there is a certain level of finesse needed to install. The installation in my case required my Dad's expertise with a large hammer.

Im at currently at college so I don't have any pictures to show the clearance issue.

Good Luck

if all else fails I have my turbo, manifold and downpipe for sale ;) I have a pacemaker dual out but dont know if that would fit

Any progress on the header situation for 3.3L foxes? I've been lurking off and on for a couple years and finally decided to get down to some serious work on my 81 Mustang. It's a D8, high-mount, with an SROD. It doesn't look like even Clifford has a single out anymore.

BTW: 80Stang is my hero.

Mike, aka AzCoupe, is very sure the FSPP/CI dual out leader will fit a 3.3L inline Fox and you can see how well at 80Stangs site.

The one on 80Stangs website is a single-out though, and FSPP doesn't list it anymore -- at least when I look under small six -> exhaust -> headers. I'd be happy to buy it, if I could find it.

No heroes over here but thanks. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes the pics at the site are of the single-out, this one:

www.ponikorjaamo.com/ti80/header/Singleout.jpg

The FSPP dual-out was like this:

www.ponikorjaamo.com/ti80/header/Dualout.jpg

and it does not fit into Fox. Well, at least not with a 200.

I need a reason to remove the current header and then I can take pics of the dual-out in there, but what is it worth anyway as that dual is not available anymore. I wonder who could make me the reason, anybody willing to send over a NEW HEAD for example?

I do have one brand new dual-out on the shelf though...but it may be worth picturing that in there with the 200 as I have plans to drop in a 250, and it being a taller engine it might give more clearance to that dual header. But this is more or less playing with the old stuff that is not beneficial to you all.

There is one problem with the single out: it runs very close to the starter motor, and it seems that the stock style starter's heat "fuse" works and I have been left couple of times with an embarrassing moment at a parking lot as the car won't start. Just a "click" when a turn the key. Just got a (poorly) remanufactured stock style starter, wrapped it on a Thermotec sleeve right from the start, and it still doesn't remove the problem.

What comes to Fox exhaust systems in general, I'd go with a V8 system nowadays. One cat-back kit, one Cat-less mid-pipe, and then some pipework to connect the front of the mid-pipe to headers. This I could leave for a pro to do, can't be too much a work for a skilled pro. Of course needs the some kind of a dual out headers to be a nice setup. Stock size 5.0 fox exhaust is not too big; don't we have the same power level soon with the new head?

I'll update more material to the website if I ever get the time. Sorry for it not being frequently updated. I run a company as a hobby and it's starting to be a full time duty, but that's another story.

Sorry for a long post.

There are indeed heros in a forum like this. They save us newbies time, money, and frustration by taking the time and effort to share their experiences. :D

I guess I'll keep waiting on the header, but I like the idea of using a 5.0 cat-back setup, maybe one of those nifty stainless Borla systems. In the meantime I've got other things to keep busy with -- I'm rebuilding a T5, planning to do a swap using my SROD bell, following in your footsteps.

Back