All Small Six Who is daily driving their six in 2024?

This relates to all small sixes

marquis83

Happy New Year Everyone!

Just wanted to post an update about my car and see who else is still on here.

It's still running good. Has 800 miles on the odometer since the rollover.

The only problem currently is that the car doesn't want to shut off sometimes.

It will diesel for 10-30 seconds after key off and then finally die out.

Since I've started shifting the c5 transmission completely manually the driving experience has improved significantly.

Good report! Thanks for the update. . The dieseling is not good though, frequently it will kick the engine backwards and run that direction until all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust has been inhaled and spit into the air filter housing. High idle speed? Vacuum leak? Hot engine?
At least you know you've got good compression though.
My wife and I are daily driving our old I6's .

too hi idle (which causes too hi heat)
“ lean fuel (also “ “ “ “ )
“ low octane
These all allow very hot cylinder temps & thus, like it’s name, create hot enuff temps to fire off combustion like a diesel engine. However the pistons are NOT in the right position cuz it’s hot all over, not in the controlled measure under normal run. I let out clutch when it happened to stop rather then correct - not so good but what do kids no?
Re-time, retard to correct. Like “detonation” damaging.
Yes daily driving till tear down for rebuild & total vehicle rest0mod. Last 5 yrs I got an insurance break due to limited mileage. I wuz just going to the shop’n home (15 mi one way, 3 - 7 d/wk).

Last edited:
Hi, I drive my Bronco regularly, but it is not really a daily driver. Now it is parked for a while because they just put salt water brine on our roads. You can work on the dieseling and the popping, as mentioned, high idle and vacuum leak are the first things to check. Lean conditions will cause poppping through the carb. A compression test and a vacuum gauge will give you a lot of info about your engine. If you seem to run out of steam when you are cruising along the fuel pump may be weak. Good luck

My wagon is my daily driver. Picked up a bunch of bags of concrete at the hardware store today. I drive it about 1000 miles a month.

My daily driver is a 2002 AU Falcon (Aussie built). Well maintained and well cared for. My parents purchased it new and now I have it. Considered parting with it a few times but what would I replace it with? Trade in would not be much and a mechanic I visit tells me because it is so well cared for I should hold onto it.

Back