Weber Reference Table - Work In Progress

BIGREDRASA

1K+
VIP
Plese PM me with your figures, and I'll add them to the chart. If you want to have the spreadsheet itself, please PM your email, or email me: tony-salazar@excite.com
HWJetting052809.jpg

Click link to go to Photobucket: http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/FamiliaSalazar/Cartech/HWJetting052809-1.jpg

HWs come with two basic styles of throttle shaft levers. If the ball is to the right of the pivot/shaft, cut off the tab with the ball and have it welded to the left of the pivot point. Make sure it is a little to the left of center, or the pushrod won't be able to activate it. My linkage works, but the ball on the lever is too far left, causing too steep an angle. Needed to bend Z Bar so rod socket doesn't pop off lower ball. Might also want to reverse the positions of the ball & spring holes. Have the lever made with the ball a little closer to the pivot point, in order to reduce the angle on the adjustment rod. Not perfect; but it works is simple; and allows you to retain the auto tranny kickdown linkage.
th_Stock5200Link.jpg
th_P1010014-1.jpg
th_P1010016-2.jpg

Tom Langdon at Stovebolt never heard of Fordsix, and doesn't sound interested in knowing. I think it was jamyers who mentioned that it might be possible to talk to Tom and get specific jets in a carb. Tom categorically denies ever doing that, or even considering it. He is not the rebuilder, and won't even tell me what jets are in the carb he'll ship me. (Trust me, I am a pretty good "interviewer," and I couldn't shake him.) He offers a new carb for $85, instead of a used one for $65. It has the stock water heated choke. He sells an electric choke conversion for $10. The electric choke wire is hooked directly to the "On" side of the ignition switch. You won't know what part # carb I bought until you open the box. You won't know what jets are in it until you look inside. The major criteria for selecting the carb that will be shipped is the throttle linkage. He did go on at great length cautioning me not to trust any information I got off the Internet, and was not one bit interested in whatever data we have compiled. (I'm not criticizing, just reporting.) He did make an interesting point. The 70s carbs were jetted for the convenience of the catalytic converters, and are, therefore, on the rich side out of the box. When I asked if the carb would be suitable for my specific engine configuration, he told me there was no such thing as a carb made for that, but whatever they send me should work out of the box, then perhaps I could start making adjustments in small increments jetwise. He stated that anybody who has to start swapping jets does so because he has a defective carb.

FWIW: If you need a new or rebuilt Holley Weber at a good price, call Tom at Stovebolt. If you need to discuss technical specs, don't. He did state that the Primary Fuel Jet should be about 135, and the Secondary should be larger. That's about as specific as he got.

Air cleaners: jamyers: (Pinto/Mustang II Base)
th_AirCleanerBase.jpg
th_AirFilter.jpg

EMPI Air Cleaner from Chirco ($16.95 on Ebay):
th_EMPIAirCleaner.jpg

Mr. Gasket Part # 1488 base and cleaner
th_MrGasketAirCleaner006.jpg
th_MrGasketAirCleaner009.jpg

Howdy Tony:

What a great idea! Thanks for the effort.

May I suggest that you add a column for venturi sizes. I'm guessing the jetting would change some given venturi size. Most H/W have the venturi inner diameter cast onto the body. It might also be a good idea to post throttle bore diameters.

Thanks again. Good work!

Adios, David

I have mine in an excel file somewhere in my computer...soon as I find it I'll let you know.

Still no updates on how it drives though :unsure:

That's crazy, but I'll second that. It’s good to hear that you got the adapter by the way.

The last time I called he did the same thing, but I figured it was just a one-time thing. Clearly the jets do matter, so I would ignore that :)

Update 9/15/08:

Over time, the AFR with the above posted setup settled in to a 12.0 - 13.5 range. Full throttle around 12.5, cruise around 13.0.

Yesterday I downsized my mains from 155 to 150 which had the effect of averaging my average mixtures up about 3/4 of a point. I still don't often see leaner than 15:1, but it usually doesn't go richer than 12.5, which often happened before.

Full throttle is still around 12.5 all the way to the shift (4600 rpm), maybe a bit leaner, but cruise is now around 13.5 - 14. Car seems up on power a bit, and more responsive.

Update 9/15/08:

Over time, the AFR with the above posted setup settled in to a 12.0 - 13.5 range. Full throttle around 12.5, cruise around 13.0.

Yesterday I downsized my mains from 155 to 150 which had the effect of averaging my average mixtures up about 3/4 of a point. I still don't often see leaner than 15:1, but it usually doesn't go richer than 12.5, which often happened before.

Full throttle is still around 12.5 all the way to the shift (4600 rpm), maybe a bit leaner, but cruise is now around 13.5 - 14. Car seems up on power a bit, and more responsive.

stepped down to 145 mains. Car is down on power, but smoother and getting about 2mpg better. Running close to stoich most of the time, but has lean spots transitioning from idle to main circuit and at high revs.

Downsized air corrector jet to 180. This had little effect except at high revs.

Upsized idle jet to 50. This fixed lean spot @ circuit transition and picked up some power. Rich around town, just right on the highway.

Think 50 idle, 150 main and 190 air corrector will probably be best for power. Staying with 145 main to conserve a little MPG.

NOTE: O2 sensing may be suspect due to exhaust leaks at manifold/head junction. However, they are consistent.

BIGREDRASA,
I'm going to have some more info for your HW 5200 sheet in the next couple weeks. I've some jets being shipped in from Italy, and I'm going to start tuning when finals end this Thursday.

Stephen

Isn't this a sticky yet?

Anyways I'm somewhat confused by all the information. Can someone clarify or recommend what might be a good selection of jets to have for my 5200?
The engine is a standard rebuild, 30 over, ported head with SI valves, 264/274 cam, C4.

There is a local speed shop that's closing down this week and they have everything on half-price at the moment. :mrgreen: He has some in stock but I'm not sure what to get?

BIGREDRASA":12c5nu41 said:
I'll work up the spread sheet and set up on Photobucket, if the 2300 crowd will send me their info.
you might want to make the pic link to a bigger one, i know a few of our members are.... venerable and need help reading that stuff

I apologise for the size of the chart. It's about as big as I could get it, without exceeding the picture size limits. :nono: You can PM me, and I'll send you the Excels sheet. 8)

On the issue of new vs. Rebuilt carbs, I have rethought my decision, and should have posted that sooner. :oops:
If the "new" carb is NOS (New Old Stock), it has been sitting on a shelf for years. Gaskets, seals, and diaphragms will be old and dried. The inside of the carb may well have a buildup of crud. I KNOW! BTDT :shock: I suggest that you'll be better off with a professionally cleaned and rebuilt carb.

Back