Really need advice on adjustable rocker install!!

78 granada

I had to start a new thread on this one - a lot at steak!
As some may have read I installed my lifters after priming them with oil. Some pumped up manually more than others but I figured no big deal. Take the lash out with my new RAU adjustable rockers and then go a quarter or half turn and all good. I set the pushrods in place and then the rocker arm assembly. It became clear that even with the adjusters removed there was not enough clearance to tighten down the towers and assembly without engaging and compressing some of the pushrods with the adjusterless rockers! I did a lot of work on getting the right components with Larry from Clifford and help from Bob. Best advice was to use the adjusters installed but backed off, and with the pushrods and adjusters engaged, bolt the rocker assembly down as you would with hydraulics and not adjustables.

My motor was already at #1 TDC on compression. I took the lash out of both valves in #1 as well as the other valves that are good to adjust in that position. Then I turned it over manually to TDC for #6 and adjusted the rest. Now, everything SEEMINGLY adjusted I notice that the adjusters are not equally engaged or threaded in depth wise.

My questions are these: With everything in place and supposedly adjusted how can I start over? Once the lifters have bled can I turn it over and start the adjustment sequence again and not be affected by the various bleed of the lifters?

Does having to effectively tighten down the entire rocker arm assembly on the pushrods seem as wrong to you as it does to me?

Given what I describe am I likely to put a valve into a piston once the lifter pump up? I can turn it over no problem but the lifters are compressed to some degree. Seems to me that the pushrods may be too long but the cup dimension is correct.

This is a common build; milled .060 but with the felpro I lost about half of that. Used head bolt washers to bring everything back.

Need big time help from the guys that have been there!!!!

78 granada":32ydsc9r said:
I had to start a new thread on this one - a lot at steak!
As some may have read I installed my lifters after priming them with oil. Some pumped up manually more than others but I figured no big deal. Take the lash out with my new RAU adjustable rockers and then go a quarter or half turn and all good. I set the pushrods in place and then the rocker arm assembly. It became clear that even with the adjusters removed there was not enough clearance to tighten down the towers and assembly without engaging and compressing some of the pushrods with the adjusterless rockers! I did a lot of work on getting the right components with Larry from Clifford and help from Bob. Best advice was to use the adjusters installed but backed off, and with the pushrods and adjusters engaged, bolt the rocker assembly down as you would with hydraulics and not adjustables.

My motor was already at #1 TDC on compression. I took the lash out of both valves in #1 as well as the other valves that are good to adjust in that position. Then I turned it over manually to TDC for #6 and adjusted the rest. Now, everything SEEMINGLY adjusted I notice that the adjusters are not equally engaged or threaded in depth wise.

My questions are these: With everything in place and supposedly adjusted how can I start over? Once the lifters have bled can I turn it over and start the adjustment sequence again and not be affected by the various bleed of the lifters?

1. You can start over by tightening the adjusters a little more and keep repeating until you have bled everthing out. Yes at that point you could start the adjustment sequence over.

Does having to effectively tighten down the entire rocker arm assembly on the pushrods seem as wrong to you as it does to me?

2. It's not wrong it's just the way it has to be a this point. As long as you tighten each of the rockers mounting stands a little at a time working from center out until you get them so they can be torqued to spec.

Given what I describe am I likely to put a valve into a piston once the lifter pump up? I can turn it over no problem but the lifters are compressed to some degree. Seems to me that the pushrods may be too long but the cup dimension is correct.

3. How many other things did you change? IE like the Cam, the timing chain set, etc. example with a stock cam grind and a stock timing chain set at factory specs, stock type pistions, a block that is factory stock on the deck height, head milled .060 with a FelPro head gasket, then a valve is not going to hit the piston.

This is a common build; milled .060 but with the felpro I lost about half of that. Used head bolt washers to bring everything back.

Need big time help from the guys that have been there!!!!

Good luck :nod:

Hi, maybe what you are describing is the fact that when you install the rocker shaft onto the head some of the valves will be in an open position, ie some will be opening, some will be closing, and some will be closed all the way. I would back off all the rockers and slowly and evenly tighten the rocker shaft in stages. After the shaft is torqued down look at the rocker arm adjustments. Any arm on the base circle of the cam can be adjusted to take the slack out. Any valve opening or closing should be left alone until you turn the motor to that cylinders TDC on compression. I would do this until all the rockers are set, on the loose side, so the push rod spins between your thumb and fingers. Now the engine should turn over all you want from the balancer bolt, with no danger of valves hitting pistons. If you cannot turn the engine over with the balancer bolt something else is very wrong, and don't force it. I always did the final valve adjustment on a warm running engine with a vacuum gauge and an ear, I would slowly loosen a rocker until it is tapping, and then tighten it until it quiets down, one at a time. If you tighten to much the engine will shake and the vacuum gauge will flutter all over. Good luck

You guys are awesome! Turns out I have done what you suggest. The motor turns over manually and when a particular valve is closed I can still turn the pushrod. I thought this would be a no brainer!! When I was adjusting the lash, I brought the adjuster down until any freeplay was gone But, at that point I could still push the rod down far enough that it seemed it would be possible to throw it on start up before things were pumped (even though it will be primed) So I continued to tighten until it was very hard to rotate in my fingers and then went 1/2 turn more. I don't have a 'feel' for this so to me it just seems tight.

What do you think about using the adjustment of one of the valves that felt really good as a reference dimension for the others? Shouldn't they all be dimensionally the same?

Thanks again for your effort to respond! A lot of this is my fault for trying to pump up the lifter in advance so each one acts a little different. I won't do that again!

The amount of adjustment might be close to the same but they likely won't be exactly the same. This would depend on a number of different tolerances, such as if the valve stem Installed heights, push rod lengths, wear in cam lobes, and also the lifters themselves. Good luck :nod:

Hi, glad you are getting there. After the engines starts, if any are too tight your engine will have low vacuum and shake, if they are too loose they will tick away. Once everything is set up the push rod will stay in place.

Tightened them all down to bleed off and started over. Dimensionally they are a lot closer too, but yea, not exactly. I am a lot happier than the way I left it yesterday! Thanks for your collective help. Now if I could just find a way to sneak the rubber guide on the timing cover past that fat timing chain and oil pan lip I'd be good to go. But looks like I will have to install it without. Don't want to pull the pan! Later........

Back