Solid/Hydraulic lifters

adamscm

Another question for the knowledgable here...I know you can't run hydraulic lifters in an old solid lifter block, but can you do the reverse--put solid lifters and adjustables in a motor that came with hydraulics (a '65)? Thanks

adamscm":29v52d4g said:
Another question for the knowledgable here...I know you can't run hydraulic lifters in an old solid lifter block, but can you do the reverse--put solid lifters and adjustables in a motor that came with hydraulics (a '65)? Thanks

yup, as long as the cam/lifters match (I.E. don't use hyd lifters with a solid cam or vise versa...)

Well, then the next question would be is there a difference between Ford Six cams, say a 62 solid and a 65 hydraulic?

I think what you're asking is if the old solid lifter blocks are the same. I seem to remember reading on this forum recently of some difference in oiling with the distributor or cam. I don't know but I know someone does. It likely has a 1/4" oil drive shaft. It wasn't long ago, a search might find it.

Econoline":g8r7h26k said:
I think what you're asking is if the old solid lifter blocks are the same. I seem to remember reading on this forum recently of some difference in oiling with the distributor or cam. I don't know but I know someone does. It likely has a 1/4" oil drive shaft. It wasn't long ago, a search might find it.

This has to do with the adjustable rockers vs non-adjustable, as the later non-adjustable have a port to dump oil on the cam at said area. Blocks are exactly the same as far as cam/lifters are concerned...

Back