170cid mod

Have a 170 out of a ‘63 fairlane. Would like to use a fuel injection .. recommendations? I am not opposed to swapping out head if necessary and modifying valve train as applicable.
I have plenty of mechanical experience but new to the inline 6. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also, any
Good books I could use fir references?

thx in advance

The 170 heads happen to be very good almost all other heads will have much bigger combustion chambers (Exception is the 144 head) all the other heads will drop your compression quite a bit. Are you planing to rebuild it?

As far as fuel injection there are several different ways you could go from the new bolt on Holley Kit to grabbing parts from the wrecking yards build your combo using a mega squirt to control it. Here’s a post that rock lord put up on a Holley install. https://fordsix.com/threads/youtube...-install-initial-setup-and-first-start.81748/

best of luck.

Bubba22349

I am planning to rebuild. The machine shop I use is very good and shouldn’t have a problem with any changes I would make. (deck height adjustments for compression considerations)
1. What compression ratio am I shooting for on a 170 with a modified head?
Was not planning on modifying crank or pistons... just the head and related components if necessary. Not looking for crazy horsepower just a good crisp throttle response.

2. What head would you recommend for more air flow?

I would like to use a 200 head and a street performance cam?? Thoughts?

The head I would use is the large log 170 head found on the 1972 Mavericks and Comets. These same head castings might also of been used on the 1971, 1970, and 1969 models I would need to see them to tell the casting numbers. Even the best 200 / 250 head won’t flow as well as those late 170 heads. Sometimes you can still find the original 144 / 170 factory steel shim head gaskets which give very good quench, FTF might still have a supply of them. If you use a later style composition head gasket that will require additional milling of aprox. .025. Zero decking the block also helps for better quench. What do you plan to use for a transmission, ignition? If you need to use a 200 / 250 head look for the latest ones from 1979 to 1983 the chamber’s are big at 62 CC and you will need to mill it down a lot to 48 to 52 CC. You will want about 9.0 to 1 and more depending on the grade of fuel you plan to use. Best of luck

Awesome info thank you. I will look for large log head

I have already had the 3 speed top loader trans rebuild.

I have been looking at Holley EFI
No decisions on the ignition, my 302 has a pertronix flame flower and have had zero problems with it. So I was gonna go that route.. unless u know a better ignition set up?

thanks again

There are very few good ignitions choices for the Ford six blocks and even less with a 1964 or older block. The one problem on the early engines 144, 170, and 200 is the distributor hole is a different size on 1964 and older blocks. You can see all these details and the posable solutions in the below link. Yes if you are doing a full engine build and tear down the block could then be machined so that it could use any of the better later 1965 up distributors that are available.

https://fordsix.com/threads/1960-to...es-how-to-install-a-better-distribitor.79622/

There are also two more ignition choices below check everything out and decide which might work best for you. If you need more help let me know. Best of luck

There are a couple books on these small block sixes their both available at Vintage Inlines. The Original Falcon Performance handbook and a new one that I haven’t seen yet.

Back