1996 obd2 4.9 turbo tuning/set up info

So im new to the forum, ive been searching the site for a while and it looks like this is the best place for I6 info.

I have a few old ford trucks all 67-72 body. Im looking to do an EFI Turbo 300 with a ZF5spd in my 69 250. I started gathering things ill need, i already bought an obd2 mass air efi set up from a u pull r parts. I have been doing a bit of reading and it seems that most people on here seem to shy away from the lone year mass air set up which confuses me a bit. Im not new to efi but am new to turbos, ive set up a wiring harness efi set up for a buddy who has a 5.0 in a ranger that we did some head work to, a cam, bumped the compression up a bit, explorer intake bigger injectors and in the world of 5.0s the best set up is mass air with sequential injection, we converted his speed density harness to a mass air set up and went with the best factory ecu an 89 mustang ecu. Generally mass air has a wider range for adapting to mods and is much more user friendly. I have also done some playing with Crown Vic 4.6 stuff and with the 4.6 its all about obd2 obd1 is as good as worthless for performance and tuning compared to the obd2 version. This is why I would think that the lone year 1996 obd2 mass air sequential injection 300 would be a desireable set up being that it already has all the good stuff that normally would be upgraded to. But my question is why are most people staying away from this efi system? Is it just because its different from all the other efi300s and the fact that its rare? Or is there another reason? Im just curious because ill be using this set up in my 69, im just trying to find the best way to tune it. being im New to turbos the tuning thing has got me thinking quite a bit, could i just use a plug and play programmer and do a custom tune on my own with say a hypertech,edge evolution or other similar chip/tuners? I have a fast air fuel ratio meter to use to see where im at, i also have a scan tool so i can watch all the live sensor data, im just wonderig is it possible to tune for a turbo with a tuner made for an n/a set up if i do a custom fuel curve, I would assume i could lock the timing at my desired setting and bypass the timing advance and just leep it locked at full advance like i do on my 68. My goal is to get this I6 closer to the power range of my 68 250 with a 425hp 390

Its rare, and the box code for that EEC5 obd2 unit has to have been untapped so you can reprogam it. The scan tool only works for common EEC5 modules which have an unpack stratergy mapped.

You haved to have a binary code set that has been mapped by either an expert who can read the codes, or the factory Ford experts who set up the individual stratergy.

Then you can reprogram with ease. Ford make sure the integrety of there billion dollar EEC programs are kept locked up, and so only the common box codes have been opened up.

You have to pay for the logging time to unlock the file packing stratergy in order to make the extra changes required.

If you don't want to do that, then you have to rework some of the interfacing. Either way, an EEC5 chip which wasn't orginally a turbo intercooled i6 chip will have a few limits on its adjustability.

xctasy thanks thats exactly what i was looking for, at this point i dont know if i will persue using the mass air set up for the turbo build, it was one of those things where i just assumed it would work better before researching it due to past experiences with some other motors, I didn't even realize it was obd2 until I got the ecu out and saw the pins. Ill still use this harness and ecu temporarily to get the motor and trans in and get the truck driveable and ready for the turbo set up. I will probably end up going with an entire megasquirt efi system, that way it stays simple and has infinite tuning capabilities without any extra dinkin around.

One possible thing to consider in favor of this setup, if perhaps you're looking to do a low-buck redneck setup. :mrgreen: If you increase the area size of the MAF housing by roughly the same increase in size of your fuel injectors (something which will clearly be required with a turbo), you'll have something that runs, and perhaps runs quite well. An AFPR would be a worthwhile investment to give you some sort of "tune-ability".

I haven't done such a setup with the 4.9 but I have with a Ford 2.3 Turbo which I'm running off a bone stock EEC-IV '94 Ranger PCM with a 70mm MAF. It was supposed to be a temporary setup but I've put thousands of miles on it. With a speed density PCM you don't have this sort of option to "fool" the computer.

Just a thought...

Back