All Small Six 200ci Radiator AC Shroud And Fan Placement on a 65.

This relates to all small sixes

Cali65

Howdy guys,

Recently I acquired a 200ci or 170ci not sure original AC fan. Years ago I bought a original AC fan shroud and found out it wasn't going to work with a non AC fan. Now that have both along with a few fan spacers. I'll have to measure the spacers to see how long they are. Those of you who have the knowledge or original AC fan/shroud set up what size spacer is used on your car? How far into the shroud should the fan be to provide the intended cooling? My car doesn't have AC by the way. I live in SC and the temps get quite hot. If it matters my engine is a 78 year block with a 66 small log head.

The fan should be spaced so that it's blades are centered half way into the shroud. Good luck

HI Bubba,

It will be a while before I get to put this on. I'll start measuring the best I can.

Hi Cali65, don't worry very much about measuring it right now it will be really easy to do it when your ready to install everything. Start by getting the shroud installed then it will be just a matter of getting the right lenght of spacer at your local auto parts. The aftermarket spacer parts make this an really easy job. They are quite nice and come in sizes down to i think a 1/4 or 1/2 an inch and they can also be stacked together to get the combo that are just right. The total job should only take you a few hours to acompliish. Once the spacer length is figured out you just add that amount of lenght of the new spacer onto the lenght amount of your original fan bolts and then you will have the correct bolt lenght and then bolt it together. Best of luck

I didn't think that the 6-cylinder cars had fan shrouds. I know the fan is offset a bit to one side because of the engine configuration so if there is a true shroud wouldn't it also have to have the opening offset to work properly?

I didn't think that the 6-cylinder cars had fan shrouds. I know the fan is offset a bit to one side because of the engine configuration so if there is a true shroud wouldn't it also have to have the opening offset to work properly?
Yes they were offset. Super rare to find one. But they did exist

Back