215/223 Valve cover question

ctune80

Does anyone happen to know the length of a 215/223 valve cover or have one handy to measure?

I'm looking at a cover that's at the local salvage yard and need some comparison. It looks similar (no lettering) and is 27 inches long at the top, 29 down at the flange. a little over 5 inches wide.

This is an internet sourced photo, but the basic shape is similar to the one I saw, I wish I had taken a photo.
s-l1600 (18).jpg

Last edited:
The valve cover in your picture won't fit any of the Ford 215 six'es unless it's posable to use later style 223 head on a 215 block I don't know if you can or not. The above valve cover only fits the later model 223 & 262 heads from about 1961 to 1964. All of the 1952 & 1953 215 six's and the early 223 .heads from 1954 to about 1960 won't have any bolt holes around the gasket flange they are held on with two studs on the rocker arm assembly that are used to hold the valve cover down. The valve cover gaskets are also different for each style valve cover. Sorry I don't have any measurements for that later style VC, I think I still have an early valve cover in my shop though.

Does anyone happen to know the length of a 215/223 valve cover or have one handy to measure?

I'm looking at a cover that's at the local salvage yard and need some comparison. It looks similar (no lettering) and is 27 inches long at the top, 29 down at the flange. a little over 5 inches wide.

This is an internet sourced photo, but the basic shape is similar to the one I saw, I wish I had taken a photo.
View attachment 6194
May be OBE by now but that picture looks like my 223's valve cover. As Bubba says, my '62 has the bolt pattern around the flange of the cover. It measures 27"at the bottom (where the flange meets the head) and 5 1/2" wide.

Back